DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why am I reading about lots of people having lots of problems with Mavic drones?

OK, I like the concept of not updating things all the time. I have a busy dental practice, and don't have hours to "keep up to date" perusing forums and you tube videos.. I have technology in the office, and I deal with that. Same sort of thing with new software updates.
I am more interested in the creativity aspects, not the technical aspects. I know the two are somewhat connected, but way more interested in a "stable" starting point and operating within those parameters. If there are "fatal flaws" with my current "upgrade" and I now need the new upgrade, that does nothing but piss me off that that was not corrected before the existing software wasn't correct to begin with!

Have you ever used a computer?

Reactions: Flynz and okw
that does nothing but piss me off that that was not corrected before the existing software wasn't correct to begin with!
Unfortunately "making things right and in their entirety from the start" is not something many producers of consumer electronics consider much anymore nowadays, so we all just have to deal with it whatever the technology.

That probably is the safest option, but I'm using very old firmware on one of my Mavics and a Phantom 4 with the latest DJI GO app. No problems at all - so far.

If you do that, it is a good idea to stop updating the Go4 app at the same time. Even the OS/ IOS on your device should be left alone.
New firmware usually gets new software,
New IOS /OS usually gets new software.
If you update anything update everything, if you don't update one thing, don't update anything. That is a way to avoid unexpected events.

SO I understand.......
: there is the app
: there is firmware for the drone
: there is firmware for the controller
: there is the "operating system" on the smartphone (I will be using Android)

Is the above correct?

Last edited:
SO I understand.......

That adds some concerns. Not all Android devices play well with the DJI app, and that has been one of the commonest complaints here.

That adds some concerns. Not all Android devices play well with the DJI app, and that has been one of the commonest complaints here.

OK, if I get an apple phone, Do I need to be connected to a cell tower?
Which generation of apple phone is required for the Mavic 2 Zoom?

No cell tower required, although without a network connection you obviously can't get maps on the fly.

Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

APP / LIVE VIEW
  • iOS V4.3.3
    Requires iOS 9.0 or above.
    Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
    Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2
    Requires Android 5.0 or above.
    Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

If you get an Apple tablet, I recommend getting a cellular capable one even if you don't get service for it. The WiFi ones don't have GPS. GPS on the device isn't required, but there are some functions that can benefit from it.

If there's an aspect you don't quite get in the manual, test it out yourself in a controlled environment such as a ball field. RTH is a good example since there's a few ways it will operate depending on conditions, such as height and distance. Nothing like experience. Think of it as driving a new car. It takes a while to get to know and feel the car but after several hours of operating time, you probably know and understand all you need.

You can see the current recommended devices at the bottom of this page:

Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI

iOS V4.3.3
Requires iOS 9.0 or above.
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2
Requires Android 5.0 or above.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

The iPad Mini 4 is a popular choice for Apple IOS devices as it offers a large screen and it can fit within the holder on the Mavic controller (pretty much at the upper limit size wise without having needing a separate tablet holder). It's an older tablet now although there are some good offers on it at the moment.

In answer to your original question it's easy to get a negative view of pretty much any device from forums because people are much more inclined to seek them out and post if they're having issues compared to if it's running well. Even then I admit it's hard not to feel influenced by them, I had the Mavic sitting in the box ready to be unpacked but still had a slight hesitation after reading some of the problematic posts.

I'm trying to establish if I'm having an IQ issue with the drone but at the moment I think it's working fine, very easy to get up and flying. I was very nervous with the Mavic 1 particularly as it was my first drone and when you read many forum posts you start to get this feeling it's just going to drop out of the sky or fly off. However it's nearly two years old and still running absolutely fine.

I would say it's very useful to read through the topics on drone crashes and understand what happened as it can be pilot error and it helps to avoid happening to you. When I first got my drone I took it to wide open areas and just practiced repeatedly until I was more comfortable with the controls, taking off/landing etc. and what the Mavic could do.

People do of course have genuine issues with their devices and the Mavics are obviously incredibly sophisticated devices but I don't think it's as bad as it may look.

SO I understand.......

Is the above correct?

Yes, that's correct. I updated the Mavic Pro 2 itself, its controller and used the most up to date DJI Go app and will see how it goes although the releases generally aren't that frequent to the degree it impairs your flying. I do appreciate these days most systems are needing regular updates and it can be irritating when it gets in the way of what you want to do.

I had a parrot Bebop 2 and lost connection with it and watched it drift off into the lake. Fortunately I had replacement insurance on it, I was able to retrieve it, and got a refurbished one.
Flying it seemed like a crapshoot. There were lots of issues with it and I was actually happy when somebody stole it out of my car.
So it seems like the mavic 2 zoom corrects all the issues I didn't like about the parrot Bebop 2. However reading this forum people are having all sorts of problems with them.
I am very reluctant to spend $1,300 and continue to endure frustration. Sometimes I think it's a Chinese Communist plot to drive Western capitalists crazy!
I would really like to own a drone, but is anybody actually working to making these things simple and reliable, or are they just more interested in adding moree bells and whistles?
i bought my first drone about 6 weeks ago - mavic2pro- and have had no isdues whatsoever, great fun just to fly and also takes great pics. Do ghe rrsearch on youtube etc and you’ll have no probs

One of the common themes you will find in the “my drone is lost, flew away, didn’t return home” posts is that in 99% of the cases the cause is pilot error when flight logs are examined. By reading these forums you learn about these common mistakes and can avoid them. It is almost never an equipment malfunction

Hi young man of 64 years,
I am 79 and bought the M2P because as a serious photographer I want to explore opportunities as I never had before.
I'm surprised how smart and reliable my drone is and had only minor problems some of which were my fault.
I too found the manual insufficient, but quickly learnt thru youtube and this forum. I got already great photos and are making plans how I can use my drone in addition to my Nikon D850 when I travel to various countries of this wonderful world.

That probably is the safest option, but I'm using very old firmware on one of my Mavics and a Phantom 4 with the latest DJI GO app. No problems at all - so far.
That's very interesting, I didn't think that would work. But since you're not having any issues, I might try that myself. I am on very old firmware on my Mavic Pro......

You've got to remember this is a forum where people post for help with problems.... the other 99% of people are out there having fun with their DJI drones. My Mavic Pro has indeed been simple and reliable and yours probably will be too.

I totally agree with this comment. I have in fact come to forums like this one when I have an issue I could not resolve, only to appreciate access to a community of like minded individuals with similiar experiences that share their solutions. These forums are a meaningful benefit to all who read them even if they don't post every day. Thanks to those who step up to the aid of others.

Hi young man of 64 years,
I am 79 and bought the M2P because as a serious photographer I want to explore opportunities as I never had before.
I'm surprised how smart and reliable my drone is and had only minor problems some of which were my fault.
I too found the manual insufficient, but quickly learnt thru youtube and this forum. I got already great photos and are making plans how I can use my drone in addition to my Nikon D850 when I travel to various countries of this wonderful world.

Plan ahead, research the drone laws of the countries you plan to visit or pass through. During my travels to England and Canary Islands, I researched the laws, but inadvertently did not check out Morrocco where I decided to stop over for a week to check it out for a future trip with my Mavic and had it seized thanks to King Mohammed VI decree. Still not happy about that one. Just do your due diligence and watch for the over zealous customs officers at port of entry/departure.

I waited 2 years before purchasing the Mavic 2, hard to do when you are 72 years old. But watched and waited for what I felt was the right combination of features. When the Mavic 2 came out it seemed just right. And it was. But knew going in this is not a like a toy you put together on Christmas morn and then go out and play.

Purchased the 2 the day it came out. Just felt DJI had finally put all the pieces together. After 2 months with it
have had three crashes, all pilot error. Have also had to send it in for a new mother board, also, pilot error. Because of DJI refresh the repair mother board could have been a 500 dollar item but it only cost me 100,
even though it was entirely my fault.

Knew going in it was best to go slow and easy, and for the last month have managed to do that. And have never had any problems since, technical or otherwise. Every flight is a learning experience of fun challenges. And my reply to anyone who thinks it takes to much time. If you are not willing to devote the time; don't open the door,
stay home.

My biggest concern is flying it out of sight. And yet that is the biggest kick and challenge. Would appreciate some advice on how one gets acclimated to that. Spider

Reactions: fozzzy and Flynz
I think new pilots, like myself, have trouble going through all the menus and all "moree bells and whistles" but this forum, and YouTube, answered all my questions. And the more I am feeling at home with my Mavic Pro, the more I feel that it is a very reliable and well thought out product. Hopefully you will feel the same after using it.

Yes I agree I have had mine for over a year now and prior to receiving it I watched all the YouTube Videos I could and to be informed as much as possible, I also used the Litchi app as well and found it to be a great addition.
I took it slow to begin with and as time went by I became more confident with flying it, I have never had any problems with mine and can only say that I am extremely happy with mine.

If you only observed people in doctor's waiting rooms, you'd be asking: Why are they all sick?
The forum is a drone doctor's waiting room.
I could come here and write a post about how I flew three batteries, took some nice pix and went home with my drone, just like every other time.
But it wouldn't be a very interesting post.
That’s a good one

I waited 2 years before purchasing the Mavic 2, hard to do when you are 72 years old. But watched and waited for what I felt was the right combination of features. When the Mavic 2 came out it seemed just right. And it was. But knew going in this is not a like a toy you put together on Christmas morn and then go out and play.

Purchased the 2 the day it came out. Just felt DJI had finally put all the pieces together. After 2 months with it
have had three crashes, all pilot error. Have also had to send it in for a new mother board, also, pilot error. Because of DJI refresh the repair mother board could have been a 500 dollar item but it only cost me 100,
even though it was entirely my fault.

Knew going in it was best to go slow and easy, and for the last month have managed to do that. And have never had any problems since, technical or otherwise. Every flight is a learning experience of fun challenges. And my reply to anyone who thinks it takes to much time. If you are not willing to devote the time; don't open the door,
stay home.

My biggest concern is flying it out of sight. And yet that is the biggest kick and challenge. Would appreciate some advice on how one gets acclimated to that. Spider

Curious to know how you damaged the motherboard.

If you only observed people in doctor's waiting rooms, you'd be asking: Why are they all sick?
The forum is a drone doctor's waiting room.
I could come here and write a post about how I flew three batteries, took some nice pix and went home with my drone, just like every other time.
But it wouldn't be a very interesting post.

Its like one man talking to his friend about getting a dog. His friend said “whatever you don’t get one of those Labradors”
His friend asked why not
He said” have you seen how many of their owners are blind”
Same thing here

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet