DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are my pics suddenly grainy

The Mavic 2’s can’t shoot Raw Only. It’s JPEG only or JPEG & Raw. The preview images produced will come from the JPEG version and will always differ from the Raw image - usually a little sharper and more saturated.

So much noise from a Raw or JPEG looks worse than I would have expected but noise in shadow/low light areas is normal.

If you can post one of the DNG images we could check further for you.

The M2 will do raw only:

IMG_3303.PNG

We are definitely not looking at the JPEG preview of a raw image, because that is much lower resolution.

When I pull the photos right off the SD card... They are labeled "RAW" in the top left corner of the pic. Also my camera was set to RAW only. Do JPEGs have less grain? And yes all of the pics were at 100 ISO. I will shoot some during daylight today and update. Thanks for your input.
As Sar104 mentioned, something happened along the way. Or if you are just using a simple photo browsing program that doesnt recognize DNG files, it is restricting your view to the JPG ones and that is what you are copying.

Anyway, use a file explorer on the SD card and get the DNG file and post it here. That will help narrow down, but as everyone is saying when you have high dynamic range pics like into sunsets or sunrises (I take these pics all the time) the noise is common. Shoot a normal exposure pic and compare.

The M2 will do raw only:

View attachment 106234

We are definitely not looking at the JPEG preview of a raw image, because that is much lower resolution.

My error on the RAW only. Has there been a change here recently? I’ve checked this on mine several times and never had the Raw only option listed.

Just gone back and checked on the RC on .510 and I see it but... with the AC connected Raw only option is not there. ??

Raw only was what I originally wanted- minor inconvenience in Lightroom gallery.

It’s too windy to fly for a couple of days so I’m going to figure what’s going on here. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Those are JPEGs, not raw images, and the dynamic range of the scene is too high. The shots are exposed for the clouds and the shadowed areas are near enough to the noise floor that it causes graininess.
Is there anyway to adjust settings to correct that? I've taken beautiful pics of the sunset in the same location with both my mavic and another camera? Is is possibly a problem with the SD card?

My error on the RAW only. Has there been a change here recently? I’ve checked this on mine several times and never had the Raw only option listed.

Just gone back and checked on the RC on .510 and I see it but... with the AC connected Raw only option is not there. ??

Raw only was what I originally wanted- minor inconvenience in Lightroom gallery.

It’s too windy to fly for a couple of days so I’m going to figure what’s going on here. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Is this a difference between the M2Z and the M2P? I assumed that they would be the same, but maybe not. Which are you using?

Is there anyway to adjust settings to correct that? I've taken beautiful pics of the sunset in the same location with both my mavic and another camera? Is is possibly a problem with the SD card?
The problem is that the sensor cannot record deep shadows and bright sunlight at the same time.

The Mavic 2’s can’t shoot Raw Only. It’s JPEG only or JPEG & Raw. The preview images produced will come from the JPEG version and will always differ from the Raw image - usually a little sharper and more saturated.

So much noise from a Raw or JPEG looks worse than I would have expected but noise in shadow/low light areas is normal.

If you can post one of the DNG images we could check further for you.
My mavic 2 does have a RAW only option.. I will post a screenshot of that setting when I fly later today.

It's not the card - it's the dynamic range, but without seeing the actual raw images it's hard to know how sub-optimal the exposure settings may have been. In general, for a scene like that, you need to shoot in raw and increase the exposure to just short of the point where saturation is occurring in the sky - that preserves the maximum detail in the shadows. You can use the histogram to find that point. Or you can do multiple exposures at different settings to get a higher effective dynamic range (HDR).

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Is this a difference between the M2Z and the M2P? I assumed that they would be the same, but maybe not. Which are you using?

Mine’s the M2P. Bought late 2018. Actually ‘bought’ was the wrong word - funded entirely from Air Miles.

Would be good if someone could confirm if there is a difference between the two or my config is in error somewhere.

Mine’s the M2P. Bought late 2018. Actually ‘bought’ was the wrong word - funded entirely from Air Miles.

Would be good if someone could confirm if there is a difference between the two or my config is in error somewhere.

Okay - mine is also an M2P and it has the settings that I posted earlier - JPEG, RAW or JPEG + RAW.

I notice there is a tag "HDR" in the exif data. Is the grain in the shadows an aritifact of how the HDR image is produced ?

Okay - mine is also an M2P and it has the settings that I posted earlier - JPEG, RAW or JPEG + RAW.

Mmmm... Well at least it’s too windy to fly today so something for me to try and resolve before better weather returns. Would be very happy to get RAW only.

Thanks again Kind Sir!

I just checked my M2Z. It has the same options- RAW, JPG, RAW+JPG. The same as the M2P.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming