DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are my pics suddenly grainy

Take my word for it... I've shot many RAW, JPEG with all settings and AUTO. Across the board they are all horribly grainy. Uploading a RAW will look just like what I've uploaded. I have taken 1000's of pics on this M2Z and quality has always been great. It's a sudden change??

Take my word for it... I've shot many RAW, JPEG with all settings and AUTO. Across the board they are all horribly grainy. Uploading a RAW will look just like what I've uploaded. I have taken 1000's of pics on this M2Z and quality has always been great. It's a sudden change??

Since you didn't even seem to be able to distinguish raw from JPEG to start with, you'll have to forgive me if I don't take your word for it. Raw images never look like JPEG images, so without some actual samples to examine this discussion is going nowhere.

Reactions: RonW and Meta4
I do not see any problem with your pictures. This is the 100% crop of a RAW image taken with my M2P today ( ISO100, F2.8, 1.3 sec ). Hope it will make you feel better about your M2Z :

M2P ISO100 F2.8 1.3sec.jpg

I do not see any problem with your pictures. This is the 100% crop of a RAW image taken with my M2P today ( ISO100, F2.8, 1.3 sec ). Hope it will make you feel better about your M2Z :

View attachment 106287
Yep! That's what my 1000's of M2Z pics used to look like. The title of this thread is "a sudden change...". My cameras quality has changed! RAW, JPEG, AUTO or MANUAL. The quality has changed!

Since you didn't even seem to be able to distinguish raw from JPEG to start with, you'll have to forgive me if I don't take your word for it. Raw images never look like JPEG images, so without some actual samples to examine this discussion is going nowhere.
I have plenty of working knowledge of cameras thank you! I've been doing photography for decades. The reason for this thread was to find out if anyone else has experienced "A SUDDEN CHANGE OF QUALITY".

Now you can see the HUGE difference in image quality! Not!

Okay - I'm afraid that you need to learn a bit about photography before you are going to be satisfied. Here is DJI_0947.DNG processed and rendered as a JPEG. I see no problems with it at all - in fact considering the small sensor it's rather good.

DJI_0947.jpg

I have plenty of working knowledge of cameras thank you! I've been doing photography for decades. The reason for this thread was to find out if anyone else has experienced "A SUDDEN CHANGE OF QUALITY".

I don't know how much experience you really have but all I can say is your pictures are OK. If I were you, I will stop whining about a non-existent issue and move on to enjoy taking photos with your drone.

I have no idea what you know about cameras, but you clearly have no clue how to process raw images.

Reactions: Meta4 and SkyeHigh
Okay - I'm afraid that you need to learn a bit about photography before you are going to be satisfied. Here is DJI_0947.DNG processed and rendered as a JPEG. I see no problems with it at all - in fact considering the small sensor it's rather good.

View attachment 106290
if that's your idea of a quality pic I wonder what your portfolio looks like? Hey, why don't you post a link to it so we can all see your inspiring work! Walk the walk my friend before you start belittling people you don't know anything about.

if that's your idea of a quality pic I wonder what your portfolio looks like? Hey, why don't you post a link to it so we can all see your inspiring work! Walk the walk my friend before you start belittling people you don't know anything about.

To turn that around, if that's your idea of a poor photo then what, exactly, is your problem with it? Can you elaborate? Noise? No - it's not noisy. Blurry? No - it's pretty sharp across the entire field of view. JPEG artifacts? No - not visible. Color balance? Easily fixed if you don't like it.

Reactions: Meta4
Okay - mine is also an M2P and it has the settings that I posted earlier - JPEG, RAW or JPEG + RAW.

Well this turned out to be an unexpected one. Had to go and buy a USB cable to connect but AC showing correct .0510 current Official version in DJI Assistant but then showing Some Modules Incompatible. Downloaded, installed same version and I now have all three options and can shoot in RAW only. Yay!!

Not sure which module hadn’t updated but same battery. I would have thought it would have highlighted a partial update failure.

Big, big thanks for pointing this out.

Bring on some good weather now!!

I can't see noise or graininess in file you just provided. The HDR tagged one at the start of the thread has noisy shadows, as if the exposure was been heavily boosted in those areas for an HDR effect from one exposure

They're not overwhelmingly sharp (I have a different model and have come to expect better than this, but I don't know what's "normal" for different models). I'm guessing that you've got an ND filter on the camera based on shutter speed / aperture combination , even so it should be fast enough, but they look slightly motion blurred. Obvious things to try would be taking any filter off but also shooting when on the ground if the drone has a vibration problem or the gimbal isn't stabilizing properly you'll get a sharp image on the ground and a blurred one when flying.

Reactions: RonW
I can't see noise or graininess in file you just provided. The HDR tagged one at the start of the thread has noisy shadows, as if the exposure was been heavily boosted in those areas for an HDR effect from one exposure

They're not overwhelmingly sharp (I have a different model and have come to expect better than this, but I don't know what's "normal" for different models). I'm guessing that you've got an ND filter on the camera based on shutter speed / aperture combination , even so it should be fast enough, but they look slightly motion blurred. Obvious things to try would be taking any filter off but also shooting when on the ground if the drone has a vibration problem or the gimbal isn't stabilizing properly you'll get a sharp image on the ground and a blurred one when flying.
I much appreciate your helpful response!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15