DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are photos not focused??

DigitalDrone

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a mavic and have noticed the image quality is less than what I expected. Please see attached photos for your review.

The background of my photos seem out of focus and have a smugey look, even with the slightest cropping trees look like they were painted. FYI, I tapped to focus on all these photos. Do these look right to you? What am I not doing?

I look forward to you help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DJI_0027.JPG
    DJI_0027.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 88
This photo looks like it was taken at the worst lighting - bright sky but cloud obscuring the sun for the whole area in view. The grassy pitch is so uniform I don't know what you were hoping to see in focus?

Tiny cameras need lots of light. Try this test with sunlight, and don't choose any -1 -2 -3 settings on your camera. Test with the defaults.

You need to tap on the screen to focus the camera, it's not focused by default. Tap to focus

It looks pretty bad but the JPGs are not brilliant from it even in good conditions let alone dull days.
If you can deal with RAW files the results are much better, screengrabs from 4K are possibly better than the JPGs too provided the scene was well lit.

Focus is fine. If it wasn't focussed the goal posts wouldn't be sharp. As Halley alluded to the photo looks a bit dull, you could do with a bit of touching up in post.

This photo looks like it was taken at the worst lighting - bright sky but cloud obscuring the sun for the whole area in view. The grassy pitch is so uniform I don't know what you were hoping to see in focus?

Tiny cameras need lots of light. Try this test with sunlight, and don't choose any -1 -2 -3 settings on your camera. Test with the defaults.
Thanks for your reply.

What would light have to do with the smudgy look?

It looks pretty bad but the JPGs are not brilliant from it even in good conditions let alone dull days.
If you can deal with RAW files the results are much better, screengrabs from 4K are possibly better than the JPGs too provided the scene was well lit.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes the raw images come out better (to large to upload), but the focus just isn't quite there as trees get a smudgy look. Keep in mind that I'm doing the tap to focus as well. Is this just the quality of the camera?

I think we've all had some rubbish from it then gone on to get some decent stuff.
The shot above does look like too much noise reduction going on.
It's worth resetting the camera (note all settings revert to default) and see if it improves.
For best resuts:in stills:
1) Use RAW
2) Use ISO 100 or at least keep it low as possible
3) Don't expect too much in low light or shooting against the sun
4) Be wary of low shutter speed from Video ND fiters
5) Bear in mind it's basically a Phone camera and more suited to relatively close subjects.

Reactions: DroneMann
first of all, dont bother with ND filters for PHOTOS. There is no real point, as you are not looking for natural motion blur (ISO100, 24FPS, 1/50 Shutter), which is for VIDEO only.

The composition here is what is bad. maybe a graduated ND filter would help even the sky and ground (but there isn't one for the Mavic). However you could have taken 2 photos, one exposed for the sky, one exposed for the ground.

You are also way over saturated. I think that is what is really causing the "blur" of the trees.

Treat both modes differently (Photo/Video) as they require different settings.
Shoot RAW 100% of the time.
Properly compose the shot.
Take the lighting very seriously.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada