DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are we giving up our right to Fly because some ones upset?

I purchased an MA2 about three weeks ago. I've been flying drones for a decade, but never with streaming video that I could fly beyond LOS and focus on the camera downlink rather than watching the drone. The last three weeks I've been flying it out of my backyard and all around our suburban neighborhood, typically about 150 feet.

The local cops just knocked on my door asking me of "anyone on the premises owns a drone". I confirmed that I did and was told that a neighbor had complained. The police acknowledged that to their knowledge I hadn't violated any laws but that they had to respond to the claim. They were kind and left without any issue, but I was struck by what it must be like to feel so insecure that you feel compelled to waste the time of the police because you saw a drone? I know it was the close neighbor directly across the alley, as I saw them on the camera as I came in to land and saw them looking up at the drone. Whatever. Not worth the hassle though, so I'll avoid flying that direction in the future.

I've been Flying for a number of years now and it still amazes me that some people think they can tell me when and where I can fly!
I don't hover over anyone backyards etc., but I have flown over peoples houses at 300+ feet, which is perfectly legal! I own my property and can
and do fly on the perimeter of it checking my fence lines for breaks and still someone driving by has the audacity to question me for doing this!
I think we need to stand our ground on this and let people know that the FAA governs us not them! and if there's any doubts call law enforcement to get educated.
I always carry the Laws concerning Drones from the FAA and local law in my area and know what I can and cannot do.
I even have re-purposed afew wet floor signs that state (DONT DISTRACT ME---DRONE IN FLIGHT! And the laws posted below that.
And still someone thinks they are the Drone Police and try to tell me what when and where I can fly! When will people learn!
Never!!! These people feel empowered to go around enforcing laws they have no idea about. I struggle to understand some of the laws and disagree with a few as well but still the law is the law. I captured the odd rules and printed these out without any headings and when questioned my reply is, have you any knowledge of this? The general reply is what's this in relation to. My reply, EXACTLY!!! now go away before the hitman arrives.

I've only been flying about 3 or 4 months and nearly all the people who have taken an interest when passing have been fine. Most go away in awe at the technology in my little drone. The oldies are brill. ?
When they see it way up in the sky and then you can show them/us standing watching it on the screen or whatever they can't quite believe it.
I even give some a quick shot sometimes if the only consequence can be my crashed drone. I select the "trainees" carefully!
Don't want my drone wrecked or an injured person, i've been good so far.
I just put it up to 40 metres or there about, then into "T" mode and tell them not to touch the left stick at first. If they do ok i explain the left stick to them then let them fly about. Most turn into 10 year olds for a few mins and go away tugging the Mrs "i want one" LOL
Most are too scared to touch it though, as if it is a real NASA rocket or whatever and they are terrified they will break it.
The ones who have attitude get it right back. Same as i treat every other situation. It's only the very odd 1 though. Thankfully...

Reactions: Howard70
I've been Flying for a number of years now and it still amazes me that some people think they can tell me when and where I can fly!
I don't hover over anyone backyards etc., but I have flown over peoples houses at 300+ feet, which is perfectly legal! I own my property and can
and do fly on the perimeter of it checking my fence lines for breaks and still someone driving by has the audacity to question me for doing this!
I think we need to stand our ground on this and let people know that the FAA governs us not them! and if there's any doubts call law enforcement to get educated.
I always carry the Laws concerning Drones from the FAA and local law in my area and know what I can and cannot do.
I even have re-purposed afew wet floor signs that state (DONT DISTRACT ME---DRONE IN FLIGHT! And the laws posted below that.
And still someone thinks they are the Drone Police and try to tell me what when and where I can fly! When will people learn!

Yes, I have one. I haven't worn it while flying, though.

I wear a safety vest and put out little traffic cones (available from the local dollar store). I also have a clipboard handy.

Reactions: MA2 317
I wear a FAA drone vest reminding people to please do not disturb the drone flyer when I’m flying my drone. So far no problems yet. Most don’t mind me and some even like watching my drone fly around [emoji106][emoji927]
But in this crazy world anything can happen.

The sad thing is... you're more likely to encounter this sort of issue if you fly responsibly and in accordance to regulations.

If you maintain VLOS, you will naturally be visible (and probably audible) to nearby people. If you just fly hundreds of feet up and from miles away on a hill, chances are, nobody will see the drone. And if they did, they wouldn't have a clue who is flying it.

Clearly something needs to change going forwards. On the one hand, there are too many irresponsible pilots out there endangering other people and treating drones like toys. On the other hand, there's a ridiculous amount of irrational fear regarding hobby drones... and a lack of good faith in society in general.

Sadly I'm not optimistic about future prospects.
Unfortunately it IS changing, it's called: Remote ID. The Feds will soon know when, where, how you fly. Not all bad, but the flip side will be the complications and cost.

So far, I've only flown over my property. No one has said anything and if they do A) I don't care and B) for them to come out to complain to me they would be trespassing to do so.
They can say nothing about my flying in MY airspace!!;)

I think it strange that the the public is concerned about the safety of a drone flying over their house, and think nothing of jets that weigh many tons, and carry huge volumes of jet fuel routinely over their homes, many of them doing 600 knots or more.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
I think it strange that the the public is concerned about the safety of a drone flying over their house, and think nothing of jets that weigh many tons, and carry huge volumes of jet fuel routinely over their homes, many of them doing 600 knots or more.
Because they don’t seem like they are spying on you

So far, I've only flown over my property. No one has said anything and if they do A) I don't care and B) for them to come out to complain to me they would be trespassing to do so.
They can say nothing about my flying in MY airspace!!;)

"MY airspace"? Interesting, please define that - where does your airspace begin and end?

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Haven't had anyone complain about my drone yet...had one guy at a part start asking questions...he had a used one someone "gave" him and didn't know what kind of battery, etc it needed. Told him Google is your friend as I don't know what drone he had. I felt like he "found" the drone if you get my drift.

I usually try to explain that they do not own the air above their property. That is the exclusive property of the FAA and if they have a complaint to take it up with them. I like the idea of business cards with FAA rules, links and contact info. I think I'll make some.

As for people not understanding the law, I run into that ALL the time doing street photography. They usually start about their right to privacy, how it's illegal to photograph them without their permission, yadda yadda. I try to calmly explain that they have not legal expectations of privacy on a public street, or anywhere that can be seen from a public area (windows not included unless they are hanging out of them...lol). Usually, that's all it takes and many times I will just delete the image if they are nice about it (though my camera makes backup copies...so nothing is ever truly deleted...lol). I also try to point out that they are photographed dozens a times a day just walking down the street. Security cameras on many commercial buildings, traffic light cameras, people with cellphones doing selfies or video calls, (Mod Removed Language) the police cars have rolling video. But, I have had a few occasions where people just went bonkers and called the cops...which I encourage them to do if they feel they must. Cops usually just listen to the story and pull the person aside and tell them that I was right and I am not breaking any laws.

But in the end, do NOT get in an argument, especially in today's volatile crazy world. People are just as likely to start a physical fight with you as just complain. If people will get violent over masks they will get violent over anything. If someone is aggressive, don't wait for them to call the cops...you do it. THen land your drone and get away from them if possible.

I like that t-shirt...think I'll get one.
Don't forget that the Duhpartment of Homeland Security gives grants to your locality to put them on a more "modern" public safety trunking system. Be sure you accidently select the P25 encryption option. The tax payer pays for it, but doesn't have any access to it. Wouldn't want those terrorists who do quite a number on us without our help, to be privy to anything going on.

You used our only flare.

600px-6DSNflare2.jpg

What plane?

That plane?

It's going 5 miles high going 500 miles per hour.

It wouldn't see a nuclear warhead if it was the target.

Ever heard of the pentagon?

It's that building with 5 sides on every issue.

Ever heard of a drone?

There's you, your neighbor, the FAA, the LEO, DJI, and countless others, trying to decide which rules apply to the operation of them.

Last edited:
Has anyone had problems with “anti drone signals” like a local jail has near me now. It comes up like a NFZ and tells you there is a jail nearby and that antidrone technology may cause drone to become unstable, uncontrollable, or unresponsive, and you have to select “yes” to get the drone to take off... It’s crazy, because it wasn’t there last week so has to be new. Then I went to another state and a signal from a helicoptor pad with a helicopter about to take off, that I didn’t realize was there, gave me a alert and DJI go4 started speaking french I think. Then i couldn’t control the drone, just could see what it seen for like a minute straight, then regained control and flew wide around where I thought the signal was coming from and came back. Scared me when I had no control of the drone, I thought I was gonna have to find my way to it and wait under it til the battery died and catch the thing..LOL. Luckily got it out of the tough spot i was in, but what’s going on now? These rogue anti drone signals becoming a thing?

Has anyone had problems with “anti drone signals” like a local jail has near me now. It comes up like a NFZ and tells you there is a jail nearby and that antidrone technology may cause drone to become unstable, uncontrollable, or unresponsive, and you have to select “yes” to get the drone to take off... It’s crazy, because it wasn’t there last week so has to be new. Then I went to another state and a signal from a helicoptor pad with a helicopter about to take off, that I didn’t realize was there, gave me a alert and DJI go4 started speaking french I think. Then i couldn’t control the drone, just could see what it seen for like a minute straight, then regained control and flew wide around where I thought the signal was coming from and came back. Scared me when I had no control of the drone, I thought I was gonna have to find my way to it and wait under it til the battery died and catch the thing..LOL. Luckily got it out of the tough spot i was in, but what’s going on now? These rogue anti drone signals becoming a thing?
What are you flying?

Do you have the ads-b in enabled drone?

Are you connected to wifi or 4G while flying...

Cause Mav 2 didn't come with airsense.

Maybe Go4 is getting some airmap type function?

Maybe one of them is using DJI aeroscope?

But even then I don't think aeroscope does anything but identify the drone.

The NFZ on the jail may be alerting you to the possibility, but doesn't mean they are sitting there using any anti-drone technology.

I use 4G cellular theough my ipad. Yeah its been getting interference really bad in Columbia SC as well. Im worried the drone is got something wrong going on with it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580