DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why are we giving up our right to Fly because some ones upset?

chazzm

Reactions
I've been Flying for a number of years now and it still amazes me that some people think they can tell me when and where I can fly!
I don't hover over anyone backyards etc., but I have flown over peoples houses at 300+ feet, which is perfectly legal! I own my property and can
and do fly on the perimeter of it checking my fence lines for breaks and still someone driving by has the audacity to question me for doing this!
I think we need to stand our ground on this and let people know that the FAA governs us not them! and if there's any doubts call law enforcement to get educated.
I always carry the Laws concerning Drones from the FAA and local law in my area and know what I can and cannot do.
I even have re-purposed afew wet floor signs that state (DONT DISTRACT ME---DRONE IN FLIGHT! And the laws posted below that.
And still someone thinks they are the Drone Police and try to tell me what when and where I can fly! When will people learn!

Most will not bother to learn, especially if they do not like drones. I've had both good and bad encounters (mostly good). It is always stressful when someone starts giving you crap about something they know noting about. Just part of the territory these days I guess...

You know, this thread provoked a thought. Perhaps we should make and carry business sized cards with the URL's of all the pertainent federal and state laws (and local ordinances if applicable) and when approached by one of these angry know-it-alls, begin by asking in a friendly way (not throwing attitude): "Are you with law enforcement or the FAA?". If they are not, hand them a card and tell them that you are well within the law and exercising your rights followed by telling them that they should know the law before harassing others and should read and understand the actual laws before doing so. If they don't go away at that point, I would pretend that they are invisible and don't exist.

I've been Flying for a number of years now and it still amazes me that some people think they can tell me when and where I can fly!
I don't hover over anyone backyards etc., but I have flown over peoples houses at 300+ feet, which is perfectly legal! I own my property and can
and do fly on the perimeter of it checking my fence lines for breaks and still someone driving by has the audacity to question me for doing this!
I think we need to stand our ground on this and let people know that the FAA governs us not them! and if there's any doubts call law enforcement to get educated.
I always carry the Laws concerning Drones from the FAA and local law in my area and know what I can and cannot do.
I even have re-purposed afew wet floor signs that state (DONT DISTRACT ME---DRONE IN FLIGHT! And the laws posted below that.
And still someone thinks they are the Drone Police and try to tell me what when and where I can fly! When will people learn!
Isn't it funny how there seems to be 2 main reactions to drones. The oh my god that is awesome!! To the people who suspiciously look sideways at ya, and declare " be careful or that thing might get shot outta the sky. ? People are quite odd.

Your So right! Some people can be really weird about things they know absolutely nothing about!
And I had a guy tell me that in front of a police officer once! about shooting it out of the sky! luckily the cop knew about the laws concerning drones and let the man know that he would be arrested for that and could be at that point for what he had said! the guy got scared and left !!! the cop said it was considered a terroristic threat or something like that! I don't know it that was true, but I do know its considered a felony to shoot an AC (UAV) because I personally asked the FAA about this!

You have to look at the big picture. After all it is a flying camera but if you are not breaking any laws. Let them call the authorities. Don’t get me wrong I am on your side. But it is what it is.

Your So right! Some people can be really weird about things they know absolutely nothing about!
And I had a guy tell me that in front of a police officer once! about shooting it out of the sky! luckily the cop knew about the laws concerning drones and let the man know that he would be arrested for that and could be at that point for what he had said! the guy got scared and left !!! the cop said it was considered a terroristic threat or something like that! I don't know it that was true, but I do know its considered a felony to shoot an AC (UAV) because I personally asked the FAA about this!
I ignore ignorance, and dont feel I need to defend against it. People are mostly nice, and kind hearted. I had the great opportunity to let a young boy fly my drone yesterday at the river. He was autistic, but very smart. I love moments like that and his parents were so happy for him. ?

The sad thing is... you're more likely to encounter this sort of issue if you fly responsibly and in accordance to regulations.

If you maintain VLOS, you will naturally be visible (and probably audible) to nearby people. If you just fly hundreds of feet up and from miles away on a hill, chances are, nobody will see the drone. And if they did, they wouldn't have a clue who is flying it.

Clearly something needs to change going forwards. On the one hand, there are too many irresponsible pilots out there endangering other people and treating drones like toys. On the other hand, there's a ridiculous amount of irrational fear regarding hobby drones... and a lack of good faith in society in general.

Sadly I'm not optimistic about future prospects.

I usually try to be polite and not lecture them on nuances of the law. In my experienced they are unreceptive at this point, irrational and have no intention of problem resolution.

If they can't seem to get control of themselves then I ask how high above their property do they own or something else roundabout? This leads to all kinds of confusion and distracts them from the actual issue at hand so I can get my bird to a safe location and leave.

I have found that "educating them" does not help at all. Even if you know the rules most of us are not bona fide authorities that can speak with absolute certainty on the vast legal applications surrounding the use of drones and the law in every situation. Trying to "educate them" often escalates the situation and creates more records of complaints about drones which does not help our cause.

I was in a situation at a park where it has a sign that drones can be flown and do not go over the freeway and had someone go ballistic about their rights, privacy and how I was breaking the law. Thankfully, someone else called the police about the persons behavior and they were their before I even landed. I prefer to let the purveyor of educational lesson on the law be done by professionals and not me.

I wish to request that someone better versed than me could write out a "statement" (maybe quoted from the FAA), that I can verbally say to an entruder and also print out for carrying in my bag

(Intruder) I heard that (Mod Removed Language)thing buzzing around up there and I don't want it flying over me or near me!

(Me) what do I say?

Last edited by a moderator:
These haters are just jealous that you have one and can fly, with ease and comfort, what seems to them a very complicated and sophisticated piece of technology ?

Reactions: Rossberg

Guess I have really lucked out. If someone comes up to me they are truly interested and awed at what the drone will do. they ask a lot of questions. I usually casually include some facts; like VLOS, no higher than 400 AGL. Had a lady photographer come up to me really excited since she saw my P4P overhead at a local lake. She asked if I saw her down there. No, camera was not facing down. She asked a lot of questions. When she found out it recorded in 4k and had a 20 meg camera, she asked where she could get one.
I had a neighbor kiddingly ask if I was looking in her window. I mentioned the camera was good, but at 150 feet, it cannot look in windows! Told her I could get the same result by looking at a satellite photo on Google Earth.

I haven't had a negative encounter yet.

But if I did, I would kindly inform the person that they are interrupting an active flight and should not disturb the Pilot In Command.

To do so may have repercussions that could effect the safety of the flight and they may be held responsible.

Please don't disturb me and we'll discuss the flight after it is complete. Thank You.

I make up my mind within about 30 seconds how I’ll respond. If they even start with anything negative or complaining, I’ll tell them to stop right there and call the cops if they have a problem with what I’m doing.
Maybe it’s my demeanor or the fact that I wear a hi-vis vest, but I’ve never had an issue that escalated to the point of cops.

Reactions: ICHOTT and JayTea26
They aren’t going to know what that is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143