DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do we Pay first before we get our Items? Why not the other way around??

MichiganMavic

Reactions
I committed to buying something the other day, and the Seller said that he’ll send the package first. He then sent me a tracking # and told me to pay up after receiving the package, and that I was satisfied with it.
Why doesn’t it work that way all the time?
As a purchaser, we take all the risk, why not the seller?
It’s like test driving your products, and then paying for it if you like it.

I committed to buying something the other day, and the Seller said that he’ll send the package first. He then sent me a tracking # and told me to pay up after receiving the package, and that I was satisfied with it.
This is how I wish all online purchases went

Reactions: WAXMAN

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: DynoTech
Every time you use your credit card this is how it works. Your credit card company doesn’t pay the retailer till some time after you leave with your product and you don’t pay for it till the end of the month or pay it off later.

Even paper money is a promise to be compensated later with other products in exchange. Paper money has no real value other than the paper it’s printed on.

That’s just it, we Pay first, then they ship.
Why don’t they ship, and then we pay?
We have to trust them, but they don’t trust us?
I think we would get our products faster that way.

Like I said above you DONT pay first. You PROMISE to pay later. If you look at your bank statement right after making a purchase you’ll see the money is still there but it’s in “pending status” meaning the money is still in your bank account but your bank puts it off to the side so you don’t spend it. It’s not till the transaction “posts” does your bank send the seller the money but still it will take a few days for the banks to work out all details and be in the sellers hand.

In terms of shipping goods, you have to really look at who has the most to lose. The vendors usually are shipping a product they have already paid for, so they want to get that money back when they sell it.

However, something as simple as a grocery store item, you pay first, eat later. But in a diner, eat first pay later. I always wondered why diners and restaurants let you pay later.

Reactions: tleedom
How did you pay? If they don't send the product you have an automatic way to get your money back (unless you mailed cash). If you don't pay, how does the person get the product back? As a buyer, you are picking the seller. So you can make sure of the reputation. As a seller, you don't get to pick the buyer or review their payment history.

How did you pay? If they don't send the product you have an automatic way to get your money back (unless you mailed cash). If you don't pay, how does the person get the product back? As a buyer, you are picking the seller. So you can make sure of the reputation. As a seller, you don't get to pick the buyer or review their payment history.

Usually youre right. Most sellers dont get to pick their buyers, except on eBay where you can say that "anyone who has less than 1 positive feedback cant bid." Its just a little protection.

I guess there’s different circumstances that we have to check first, like you mentioned, the Seller review

Classified section vs Merchants.

I was just discussing this with my wife and just wanted your thoughts.

I’ve noticed that this Forum allows Members to join and post in the Classified section right away. Most Forums don’t allow posting in Classified until a certain amount of time or posts.

Usually youre right. Most sellers dont get to pick their buyers, except on eBay where you can say that "anyone who has less than 1 positive feedback cant bid." Its just a little protection.
You can narrow down the pool of buyers... but you still can't pick them.

Thast why one of the pinned threads on top of the classifieds by @dirkclod is "Caveat Emptor"
Have asked the boss to fix that so sellers have to have a post count of some sort but hasn't't happened yet .
Would be nice if it was that way to keep down all the unnecessary clutter in Classifieds .

If you use Paypal to pay for your item (invoice not FF) then the reputation or # of posts someone has are irrelevant (makes you feel better though). Paypal covers you for not receiving an item or item not as described. Their coverage works great, I had a item that did not arrive when scheduled, I submitted a claim the day after and Paypal had my money in my bank a day later.

Have asked the boss to fix that so sellers have to have a post count of some sort but hasn't't happened yet .
Would be nice if it was that way to keep down all the unnecessary clutter in Classifieds .

I really like the idea too! We will have a more trustworthy classified section if we do that. But it seems, other than spam ads that show up for a brief time (thanks mods!), there have not been any trust issues with it as far as I know, correct?

Because humans as a species will look out for themselves and justify not paying for things because they "deserve it"

Man Receives 84-inch LG TV From Amazon By Mistake, Ends Up Arrested For Keeping It
A few weeks ago I ordered coffee beans from a supplier. The day after they came another parcel arrived, containing the exact same order. I contacted the seller and offered to pay for the second delivery or to return it if that's what he preferred. Not only did he apologize for the mistake, he also told me to keep the second order free of charge. It wasn't a high value purchase, just under £50, but he knows he's now made a regular customer. Honesty is its own reward, but sometimes being honest has unexpected benefits.

Reactions: Clinton1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22