DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Why do you hate drones?"

I get permission from the local council, the landowner if it's not council land, I also call 101 and get an incident number (this means I've backup for any instances where cops show up and go OI MATE what you doin!) and put up a NOTAM if I'm anywhere near an ATZ... along with the LZ cones and notices, high viz and an observer. Also a radio on my hip. My ops manual doesn't explicitly state all of these things need to be in place, each is optional in it's own right, but my arse is covered. Also a copy of my insurance, PfCO and my ops manual are in my pack if anyone really wants to go to town!

On the few occasions where people have sauntered up saying " you meant to be doing that here mate?" I've just stopped what I'm doing, explaining that I have to make sure the aircraft if safe, and then calmly informed them what a NOTAM is, and quoted the incident number inviting them to quote that to the authorities should they feel the need.

I've owned an inspire for about 2 years and I've gotten more wary feed back from that one just because of its looks than the Mavic.
Recently I've been taking the Mavic out more (just because its easier to travel with. Public reception to the Mavic is a LOT more positive than the Inspire, as its a bit less intimidating and smaller (cute?).
I'd imagine the spark will grandfather newcomers or wary folk in with its cute harmless look.

Cute, harmless 12000 rpm spinning blades ;)

Know what you mean there though, the inspire does look like a Storm Trooper.

People will always be creeped out by things they think are quirky and dont understand. I also do metal detecting, same league as drones LOL, there are NO admiring bystanders! So i avoid places or the time of day with people about. I saw one dude at a beach wearing a bright orange surveyors vest with "UAV Pilot Please do not disturb during flight" across the back in huge letters. It was so in your face that it nicely defused any "sneakiness" around flying. I guess it worked.

Like most others here, I generally try and fly in quiet locations away from people. The few interactions I've had have been really positive, and usually it's people interested in how much it costs, how far it can fly etc. They are usually amazed at the features like GPS and RTH.

Plus I always enjoy listening back to the consversations I've had that are recorded on the video from the controller

Reactions: frankiez
I usually fly from remote areas too, there are sometimes people going by but they don't stop. First time someone did since I fly the Mavic around here was actually yesterday - and the guy had a P3 himself and was interested in seeing the new stuff. Passed him the goggles for a few minutes too.

I've mostly had positive feedback. The important thing is not to get close to people with the device. They're noisy little suckers!

That said, I had a fellow shouting at me from about 100m away last week that he was going to "call the cops" because my flying over an abandoned railway station to take a photograph of that same building was "dangerous" and had to be "illegal or something".

Strange to relate, the fellow yelling at me was perched on the left fork of a fully extended forklift with an idling chainsaw in his hand, preparing to lop branches from a tree in an engineering firm's front yard... no occupational health and safety issues there! The forklift itself was being driven by another fellow who looked a dab-hand at banjo playing and probably answered to "Bubba".

Reactions: SeaComms
I've mostly had positive feedback. The important thing is not to get close to people with the device. They're noisy little suckers!

That said, I had a fellow shouting at me from about 100m away last week that he was going to "call the cops" because my flying over an abandoned railway station to take a photograph of that same building was "dangerous" and had to be "illegal or something".

Strange to relate, the fellow yelling at me was perched on the left fork of a fully extended forklift with an idling chainsaw in his hand, preparing to lop branches from a tree in an engineering firm's front yard... no occupational health and safety issues there! The forklift itself was being driven by another fellow who looked a dab-hand at banjo playing and probably answered to "Bubba".

I would have made him a POI and yelled " Hey ******** , you're going on YOUTUBE ! "

He already hates drones so *** :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: El Baja
I've flown from parking lots and had a few people ask to take a look, but I'm pretty careful about where I fly, trying to keep it out in greenspace and empty fields not over homes. When I start doing work for hire I'm sure that will change, but I'll also be in full-on OSHA safety gear and company logos too.

The only negative reaction I've had so far was a border collie who went nuts when the drone took off, and chased it around even when I was up about 100' or so. She'll make a good terminator dog...

Reactions: Weadinator
I would have made him a POI and yelled " Hey ******** , you're going on YOUTUBE ! "

He already hates drones so *** :)

I thought about it for a moment at the time, but then remembered he was wielding a chainsaw. Discretion is the better part of valour... ;o)

I've flown from parking lots and had a few people ask to take a look, but I'm pretty careful about where I fly, trying to keep it out in greenspace and empty fields not over homes. When I start doing work for hire I'm sure that will change, but I'll also be in full-on OSHA safety gear and company logos too.

The only negative reaction I've had so far was a border collie who went nuts when the drone took off, and chased it around even when I was up about 100' or so. She'll make a good terminator dog...

I have a Border Collie that does the same thing also. He will bark like crazy until its about 500m away! Not sure if he loves it or hates it haha

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt

You should've turned the Mavic towards him and took a pic then posted it here.

I try to educate the public when they come near. I explain to them that I am trying to get scenic video (and not filming their kid or them). I explain to them the FAA rules, how others should be responsible, how most of us are, etc.

You do get the crazies though. I had one older guy come walking up to me and said "I see that is one of the drone things that you can attach a bomb to and blow things up with. Are you some kinda terrorist". I just looked at him and said, trust me, this thing couldn't really carry enough weight for a bomb, and, seriously dude!?

Totally anecdotal, but I found some generally angry people when flying my P3A. With the Breeze or Mavic, people seem much more relaxed. Maybe the lack of an obvious camera onboard relaxes people? (Oddly enough, my Mavic is in WWII naval garb, with huge teeth and eyes, and people seem to love it compared to a plain jane Phantom with nothing but a registration?!?)

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it’s the people, not the drones. Anytime I’ve had a negative encounter it was someone who saw the drone before me. If they perceive that I’m skulking around, or spying, they get mad. If they see me with the controller and figure it out, they come over and make small talk and want to know the usual battery of questions.

I think it’s important that drone operators keep in mind that they aren’t just representing themselves, but the whole droning community. We’re at a point where our collective actions will dictate the future of this hobby. The majority of us who fly responsibly need to step up as ambassadors, and not let the few who fly stupidly become our representatives to the public.

Per @drbrian722 "I think it’s important that drone operators keep in mind that they aren’t just representing themselves, but the whole droning community. We’re at a point where our collective actions will dictate the future of this hobby. The majority of us who fly responsibly need to step up as ambassadors, and not let the few who fly stupidly become our representatives to the public."

THIS is absolutely perfect... WE are the "community" that can help or hinder our future of flying...inform the public when they ask. I was flying around Morro Rock in Morro Bay last night, and out over the water just before sunset. I had two people ask the same question, first a younger couple came and asked if I could see what "it" saw, YEP, turned my phone to show them, flew the Mav closer to us standing there and they thought it was so cool, shortly after a gentleman came and asked the same question, same rundown with him, It was good interaction all evening.

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
I think it’s important that drone operators keep in mind that they aren’t just representing themselves, but the whole droning community. We’re at a point where our collective actions will dictate the future of this hobby. The majority of us who fly responsibly need to step up as ambassadors, and not let the few who fly stupidly become our representatives to the public.

I completely agree, a "grass roots" effort is necessary. But we also need a few well placed friends in media and government because the majority of people don't get out and interact face to face much anymore. At least outside of their normal circles. It only takes a few people who know how to complain (and who to complain to) that will ground us all. Remember most laws don't pertain to most of the pubic because they wouldn't do something that also happens to be illegal anyway, so they really don't care about some specific ordinance that might ban something they themselves don't participate in. And it isn't like there are hundreds of millions of drones out there, so ignoring the law isn't a good strategy ether.

But it is interesting to see the reaction of government officials. I like to think I understand what it was like to own a horseless carriage in the late 1800s, where towns were coming up with all sorts of screwball rules (anyone want to guess what municipality will pass the first drone law requiring guys ringing bells and carrying lanterns?), most of which I'm sure were basically unenforceable. In the long run I think we'll see this as growing pains for the industry. When there are millions more drone pilots out there and it's a given to see aerial photography as just another shot things will change. Oh there will still be plenty of people who won't like them, and they might continue to complain bitterly, but they'll be the minority and most of us will just call them the crazy ones.

I think the main public perception of drones is that they're only purpose is to spy on people. The uninformed public cant see any possible legitimate use for them. I think people also overestimate how interesting they are and think others give a ____ about what they're doing.

In an effort to avoid anyone speaking to me while I fly I launch in secluded areas, try to fly as high and quietly as possible and got a white skin to cover my MP and make it less noticeable.
I agree. Some people are interested and I answer their questions if they ask. The police in my town are pretty awesome when it comes to me flying. I don't fly low unlesss I am filming or taking a photo of something directly in front of me.

While I am sure there are people who abuse drones, I would bet that number is less than 5 percent of drone owners. And let's be honest. The people who complain are over dramatic. To think someone wants to spy on anyone is a joke. Again, I am sure it happens, but how much? I could not get close enough to spy. The noise alone would give it away.

I agree. Some people are interested and I answer their questions if they ask. The police in my town are pretty awesome when it comes to me flying. I don't fly low unlesss I am filming or taking a photo of something directly in front of me.

While I am sure there are people who abuse drones, I would bet that number is less than 5 percent of drone owners. And let's be honest. The people who complain are over dramatic. To think someone wants to spy on anyone is a joke. Again, I am sure it happens, but how much? I could not get close enough to spy. The noise alone would give it away.

In my experience dealing with people, usually the one that always complain is because they are jealous that they don't own one and will do anything to take their jealousy to the next level.

That's one of the reasons I'm. Going to skin my MA in a fun looking skin. People will assume it's a toy and not bother. If the thing looks like predator in the sky then they might have issues with it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman