DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does Quickshots mode switch to 30fps?

Kupe

Reactions
Hey gang-

Spent the day at a local park giving my new Mavic Air a workout. Had fun trying the Quickshots Intelligent flight modes. Here is what I don't understand though.

My camera is set to shoot at 1080p/24fps. But as soon as I enter Quickshots mode in Go 4, the camera switches to 1080p/30fps. The resulting video is pretty goofy as you would expect. For example, persons waving look like those sped-up silent films from the 1920s.

I tried to change back to 24fps, but camera settings would not change while in Quickshots mode. Once I exited Quickshots back to normal mode, the camera settings reverted back to 1080p/24fps.

What am I missing?

Thanks gang!

Hey gang-

Spent the day at a local park giving my new Mavic Air a workout. Had fun trying the Quickshots Intelligent flight modes. Here is what I don't understand though.

My camera is set to shoot at 1080p/24fps. But as soon as I enter Quickshots mode in Go 4, the camera switches to 1080p/30fps. The resulting video is pretty goofy as you would expect. For example, persons waving look like those sped-up silent films from the 1920s.

I tried to change back to 24fps, but camera settings would not change while in Quickshots mode. Once I exited Quickshots back to normal mode, the camera settings reverted back to 1080p/24fps.

What am I missing?

Thanks gang!

The change from 24FPS to 30 is because the app is going to edit that video. Speed it up and slow it down. The 30FPS would actually make the waving look better if it weren’t for the fact that they speed it up. So you are actually seeing 30 FPS with every other frame skipped so it’s really 15 frames per second.

This is exactly why those old movies look like that too. They weren’t able to film in 24 or 30 FPS they had to film in 15 FPS so if something was moving fast frame 1 would catch it in let’s say frame left but by frame 2 it would already have moved a lot and the camera didn’t catch the the movement in between and the human brain interprets this as even faster than it was. Same concept.

Luckily that video only looks like that because it was sent to the app on your device and DJI Go 4 automatically edited it like that. The high quality file that is on your SD card will not be edited and not have that problem. You can leave it like it is or you can edit it yourself making sure the parts like someone waving remain at 100% speed and fast forward after that or something.

Check out filming in 30 or 60 FPS you’ll like it I guarantee.

Reactions: Mike Shock and Kupe
The change from 24FPS to 30 is because the app is going to edit that video. Speed it up and slow it down. The 30FPS would actually make the waving look better if it weren’t for the fact that they speed it up. So you are actually seeing 30 FPS with every other frame skipped so it’s really 15 frames per second.

This is exactly why those old movies look like that too. They weren’t able to film in 24 or 30 FPS they had to film in 15 FPS so if something was moving fast frame 1 would catch it in let’s say frame left but by frame 2 it would already have moved a lot and the camera didn’t catch the the movement in between and the human brain interprets this as even faster than it was. Same concept.

Luckily that video only looks like that because it was sent to the app on your device and DJI Go 4 automatically edited it like that. The high quality file that is on your SD card will not be edited and not have that problem. You can leave it like it is or you can edit it yourself making sure the parts like someone waving remain at 100% speed and fast forward after that or something.

OMG thank you the light comes on! I'm such a geek that I actually read the Mavic Air manual cover to cover and never got that.

This forum is a wonderful resource- thank you!

Reactions: brett8883

No - this is wrong.

When you start a quick shot, the aircraft switches to recording in 30fps (well 29.97 actually). You can’t change it.
So for instance, if you have been shooting all your footage on the card at 25fps, as soon as you switch to a quick shot mode it records that quick shot at 30fps.
When you exit quickshots the shooting mode will return to the frame rate you set previously.

You can confirm by simply analyzing the clips and reviewing their metadata.

It’s a bug/feature DJI have stubbornly stayed with.

It used to be even worse and not revert back to your set frame rate upon exiting quickshots.

No - this is wrong.

When you start a quick shot, the aircraft switches to recording in 30fps (well 29.97 actually). You can’t change it.
So for instance, if you have been shooting all your footage on the card at 25fps, as soon as you switch to a quick shot mode it records that quick shot at 30fps.
When you exit quickshots the shooting mode will return to the frame rate you set previously.

You can confirm by simply analyzing the clips and reviewing their metadata.

It’s a bug/feature DJI have stubbornly stayed with.

It used to be even worse and not revert back to your set frame rate upon exiting quickshots.
Im wrong about what? You don't refute anything I said. To speed up a 29.97 video and have it remain 29.97 frame rate then you've deleted frames. I have no idea what you are trying to say that is different

Im wrong about what? You don't refute anything I said. To speed up a 29.97 video and have it remain 29.97 frame rate then you've deleted frames. I have no idea what you are trying to say that is different
You clearly didn’t read my post!

Your post states that the file recorded to SD card will not have that problem - yes it will.
If you have been recording at 25fps, using quickshots will switch to 30fps. Then revert back to 25 on exit.
You will then have mixed frame rate files to contend with on the timeline when you bring it into your NLE. This is a pita.
Nobody actually uses the app to edit anything!

You clearly didn’t read my post!

Your post states that the file recorded to SD card will not have that problem - yes it will.
If you have been recording at 25fps, using quickshots will switch to 30fps. Then revert back to 25 on exit.
You will then have mixed frame rate files to contend with on the timeline when you bring it into your NLE. This is a pita.
Nobody actually uses the app to edit anything!
I was referring to
The resulting video is pretty goofy as you would expect. For example, persons waving look like those sped-up silent films from the 1920s.
So sounds like the op was looking at the auto-edited video in the app. If anything the 30fps original on the SD card will look slower and smoother compared to 25fps, granted not by much but certainly not faster and choppy. Therefore won’t have that problem.

I think lots of people use the editor in the app which isn’t terrible for basic cuts and time mapping. Color grading is horrible I’ll give you that but at any rate sounds like you misunderstood my reply. We are in agreement it’s 30fps in QuickShots full stop.

If you're editing the footage yourself, try setting the FPS on 25, then put the part with 30 fps in your timeline and speed the sequence up to about 120 percent. That way, your 30 FPS are "propped" into the 25 and you should get more or less "normal" looking results.
I encountered a similliar problöem as I was digitalizing the old super 8 celluloid films my fahter made. The scanner automaticly made a 25 FPS film of it, but since the original was filmed with 18 FPS, I had to reduce speed. Not a big deal if you do the editing yourself.

Reactions: brett8883
I was referring to

So sounds like the op was looking at the auto-edited video in the app. If anything the 30fps original on the SD card will look slower and smoother compared to 25fps, granted not by much but certainly not faster and choppy. Therefore won’t have that problem.

I think lots of people use the editor in the app which isn’t terrible for basic cuts and time mapping. Color grading is horrible I’ll give you that but at any rate sounds like you misunderstood my reply. We are in agreement it’s 30fps in QuickShots full stop.
Understood.

No, no, really. No one in their right mind uses the ‘editor’ In the app. Even moviemaker or Fisher Price ‘My First Editor’ would be better. :eek:
In fact, the Go4 App would be a million time better if they stripped out all the bloat & social media crap - but that’s a whole other rant. :D

If you're editing the footage yourself, try setting the FPS on 25, then put the part with 30 fps in your timeline and speed the sequence up to about 120 percent. That way, your 30 FPS are "propped" into the 25 and you should get more or less "normal" looking results.
I encountered a similliar problöem as I was digitalizing the old super 8 celluloid films my fahter made. The scanner automaticly made a 25 FPS film of it, but since the original was filmed with 18 FPS, I had to reduce speed. Not a big deal if you do the editing yourself.
That’s exactly right. I’ll just add that NLEs today will do this automatically without the need to speed it up manually. It will “interpret” the video and conform it to the timeline frame rate.

Understood.

No, no, really. No one in their right mind uses the ‘editor’ In the app. Even moviemaker or Fisher Price ‘My First Editor’ would be better. :eek:
In fact, the Go4 App would be a million time better if they stripped out all the bloat & social media crap - but that’s a whole other rant. :D
Don’t disagree with you on that! Could use the extra space on my phone too

Reactions: The Editor

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr