DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why is my controller that I bought extra for my DJI Mavic Pro 2 no matter what I do, It is unable to get more signal than my stock controller?

RawRock

Reactions
Why is my controller that I bought extra for my DJI Mavic Pro 2 no matter what I do, It is unable to get more signal than my stock controller? I bought a kit and upgraded the controller with a flat panel antenna, some amps, yet still wouldnt get even as good as the signal as my stock remote.? Then I sent back the titan and got a alien tack flat panel with building amplifiers and steel can even go half as far as my stock controller. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

@RawRock did you do the conversion yourself on the spare RC or was it purchased converted ,i ask because it is very easy to damage the micro connectors on the main board where the antennas plug in either when removing the original ones or installing the new ones ,without realising that they are damaged

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Why is my controller that I bought extra for my DJI Mavic Pro 2 no matter what I do, It is unable to get more signal than my stock controller? I bought a kit and upgraded the controller with a flat panel antenna, some amps, yet still wouldnt get even as good as the signal as my stock remote.? Then I sent back the titan and got a alien tack flat panel with building amplifiers and steel can even go half as far as my stock controller. Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
It's a Mavic 2 Pro, Not a Mavic Pro 2:p and at some point you more than likely messed up a connection so your not making good contact or a weak contact either transmitting or ground plane side. They are very fragile. If it ain't broke don't fix it...why anyone would need more power than to go 10Km is beyond me. Not sure of your Electronics training, but when in doubt have a professional do mods, at least then you have someone to fall back on. Is what it is now...try going back to stock...is it normal?

Another question beyond those of @old man mavic...
Was the distance of the "as received", unmodified extra RC less? If so, let's start there with a problem.

@RawRock did you do the conversion yourself on the spare RC or was it purchased converted ,i ask because it is very easy to damage the micro connectors on the main board where the antennas plug in either when removing the original ones or installing the new ones ,without realising that they are damaged
I paid for the controller already converted through “Covert Drones” but then later sent everything back and then he sent back a controller with “Alien Tech” flat panel and amp combo hooked up to it.. The first time was Titan connectors and 4 Hawk panel.. It’s so frustrating because I have been trying to figure this out since November and have mailed everything back to the guy twice now... I can’t seem to even get the same distance as the stock controller...

It's a Mavic 2 Pro, Not a Mavic Pro 2:p and at some point you more than likely messed up a connection so your not making good contact or a weak contact either transmitting or ground plane side. They are very fragile. If it ain't broke don't fix it...why anyone would need more power than to go 10Km is beyond me. Not sure of your Electronics training, but when in doubt have a professional do mods, at least then you have someone to fall back on. Is what it is now...try going back to stock...is it normal?
You know what drone I am referring to, and I didn’t do anything myself, that’s why I paid “Covert Drones” so much money to do it for me.. And apparently it still is doing this.. Not sure what the deal is with your response but I’m trying to get help because I am so frustrated with all the money and time I have spent trying to get this thing working correctly. So obviously you are not leviating any of my frustration by lecturing me, but thanks anyway I guess...

Another question beyond those of @old man mavic...
Was the distance of the "as received", unmodified extra RC less? If so, let's start there with a problem.
I bought the controller and a modification kit and then paid for the professional to do the job, but was no good.. Now I have paid again to go a different antenna and amp kit, and still have the same problems.. I wonder if the controller was bad to begin with but the company says that the second time the controller was a whole different new one they switched out... It has me at a loss because I now have enough wrapped up in this to buy a whole new drone...LOL. Very frustrating..LOL

Yeah, my second attempt allegedly had a whole new controller again in the set up I paid for. Modified first with 4Hawks panel and then sent everything back and now it is supposed to be a whole new controller and I paid for the mod with a Alien Tech panel and amp set up this time, yet still can’t get as far as my stock controller.. It has me at a loss..

wish i could advise you more ,but it seems ,that for some reason there is some underlying fault between the RC and the drone ,you should at least have some sort of recourse with the company that did the conversion ,any chance you can try the RC with another drone, see if the problem still exists ,at least you would know if its the drone or the RC that way,if it works with another drone

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Stock controllers normally go well beyond VLOS in my experience. Not that I would knowingly do that of course.

Reactions: Thomas B
What's the difference between a mavic pro 2 and a mavic 2 pro??????????????

I have the Mavic 2 Pro with the stock antennas, also have the Smart Controller, when they both had the stock antennas I found the Smart Controller seemed to have the edge with regard to range & signal strength, but thats not saying the stock controller wasn't performing to spec. I then upgraded both to QMA antenna connectors so I could run my newly aquired Alientech Duo II directional boosted antenna off either, I noticed a big difference right away, around here are lots of big old trees & I would often find the video lagging or freezing completely, when I use the ALientech Duo II now all that has nearly completely gone, the signal penetration is far better & on range it just goes on & on, where as the stock controller with stock antennas would soon let me know to stop & turn around, I did the mods myself, but really took my time & especially paid BIG attention when removing the micro antenna connections inside, I prised them off VERY slowly & from each side, then ensured the matching connections for the QMA connectors went to the correct locations & VERY carefully clipped them on using a reverse method technique to ensure even careful pressure to make sure no damage was caused to the board, thanfully it worked for me, sorry it hasn't for you, is yours the Alientech Duo II boosted 2.4 & 5.8 & are you set in auto band & channel selection, when you power it up with the signal strength shown for 1km & 4km chart can you see an improvement over the stock setup, it sounds like something is a miss here also forgot to ask is yours CE or FCC power output.

Don’t mean to be flip but why not stick to the stock controller since you say it “works better”? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Sorry guys. I don't agree with that old saying about "If it ain't broke" etc. Something such as this can be extremely frustrating but giving up isn't an option I like and it sounds as if RawRock may be of a similar mindset.
In my experience of Ham Radio and Antenna building things can very easily go astray if there's a bad connection. This would depend largely on the person doing the mod. The higher in frequency the more likely small things can upset the transmission. I recall a kink in the coax caused no end of problems with one gadget I was building many years ago. It took me dozens of hours to discover the coax was the problem. I found early in my fault finding career it was usually the one thing you'd never suspect was the cause of the problem.

A bad solder joint would probably be the first thing I'd be checking, Basically anywhere there's a connection would be a definite place to check. It doesn't have to look bad, a perfect looking connection can be the seat of the hiccup. It's amazing how a tiny touch of oil from a sweaty finger can stop a signal in it's tracks. Too much flux can do likewise and a hidden void in the solder blob can wreck your work. Bad earthing caused by a poorly tightened screw or bolt can do it. I could keep going, but as I can't see what been done, I can't even imagine it because I've never done anything even similar with my controllers. Unfortunately it's impossible to solve anything on_line. When I had my own TV repair shop people would wait for me to close the shop and get home before wanting to know why their TV or VCR weren't working. They reckoned that phoning me at home wouldn't turn into a repair bill.

So from your explanations I'd be looking closely at what I've already mentioned. BUT you've paid someone to do a job for you and you shouldn't feel bad about asking him to do what was agreed upon. He hasn't done what you paid him to do. If I was in his boots I'd insist on you returning the controller so I could find the problem and put it right. What would upset me would be hearing about you sending it to someone else to fix. He owes you another attempt at doing the job properly, don't feel bad about it. You shouldn't have changed the setup, your original choice should have done the job. The technician isn't always to blame. Anyone can get caught with the things I described and all he has to do is remove what's been added and start again whilst checking for anything he may have disturbed.

Give the guy a call, explain the circumstances and arrange to send the controller back to him. There should be no extra charges, even for postage, he owes you that as well as another try. If he's any sort of a tech he should have the test equipment to tell him if the controller is putting out the correct signal, both in frequency and power output.
Try to be polite, but at the same time let him know he hasn't done what you paid for, maybe a little more subtle than that :). Good luck and please let us know the outcome. Stu.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+