DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why isn’t the FAA drone registration database public like The N number database?

AMann

Reactions
Besides cost, is there any reason why the FAA drone registration database isn’t public? Seems like a good way to help with compliance and to help people return lost and found drones.

I think it’s not about privacy, the FAA 107’s, FAA Waivers, N numbers, FCC HAM licenses, contractor licenses, etc., are all searchable, some including the owner’s name and business or home address. But I guess it could be for more privacy in that they are trying to encourage more people to register their drones...more $ income probably then, huh?

So could somebody’s FOIA request open it up?

Just some questions I’ve been pondering about this. There’s no way I would stir up an issue like a FOIA request with the FAA though, I don’t want to be on their other list! ;)

Last edited:
So every drone hater can easily snap a pic while I’m setting up and call in a bogus complaint to the cops with my name attached? Peeping, hit me in the head, frightened my dog etc etc?? No thanks!!

if you want more compliance of the FAA rules, write your congresspeople and lobby them to actually enforce them.

So every drone hater can easily snap a pic while I’m setting up and call in a bogus complaint to the cops with my name attached? Peeping, hit me in the head, frightened my dog etc etc?? No thanks!!

if you want more compliance of the FAA rules, write your congresspeople and lobby them to actually enforce them.
Tend to agree in the current U.S. environment.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I disagree that it's not about privacy: I for one don't want a publicly searchable database that lists what sorts of expensive property I have stored inside my residence. That same concern doesn't really apply to full-size aircraft.

Look at FAA 107’s, FAA Waivers, N numbers, FCC HAM licenses, contractor licenses, etc., they are all searchable if you know the registration number. Only someone who finds your drone would know that.

They dont have to publish home addresses, but some sort of contact info may be used.

Last edited:
Cool, post “some sort of contact info” of yours here on this public thread and we’ll know you’re serious and sincere. What could go wrong?

Like an email? PM address? That is safe. Also make it voluntary like the FCC does for HAM licenses.

.....make it voluntary like the FCC does for HAM licenses.
Voluntary? I’m all for that, looks like we’re in complete agreement.

But didn’t you advocate in your original post to make the registration database publicly accessible? Doesn’t that database include a persons name and home address?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger
I just said it may be a good idea if it was public, but I’d understand if some preferred their contact info to be private on a voluntary basis. Think anout it, what would you really want if you lost your expensive drone and neglected to put a phone number on it.

Besides, people would have to have your drone in the first place, even perhaps with your home GPS address tagged in the photo files, in order to look you up anyway, how else could they guess that alphanumeric registration number? They would need it to find you on the database, and others would have a difficult time otherwise unless they know your name, initial, city, etc.

Last edited:
I disagree that it's not about privacy: I for one don't want a publicly searchable database that lists what sorts of expensive property I have stored inside my residence. That same concern doesn't really apply to full-size aircraft.

But they’d need to know your registration number first. It would be hard to guess it, the only way would be if they found your properly marked drone.

EDIT...and if you have geotagged photos of your home location, or put a contact file on the card as an ID marker, they’ll find your house anyway.

Last edited:
Commercial pilots usually have a separate business address or a corporate address used only for business purposes. Hobbyists do not, so the address would have to be of their personal residence. Making the database publicly searchable was deemed to discourage hobbyist registration, so the previously planned public database aspect of registration was scratched.

Reactions: dawgpilot and AMann
Keep in mind that people UNDER the age of 18 are included in this database so it's probably never "Going Public". IIRC that's the main reason it's kept under Lock & Key.

Reactions: AMann
I just said it may be a good idea if it was public, but I’d understand if some preferred their contact info to be private on a voluntary basis. Think anout it, what would you really want if you lost your expensive drone and neglected to put a phone number on it.

Besides, people would have to have your drone in the first place, even perhaps with your home GPS address tagged in the photo files, in order to look you up anyway, how else could they guess that alphanumeric registration number? They would need it to find you on the database, and others would have a difficult time otherwise unless they know your name, initial, city, etc.
When you put your registration number you also put phone number at least I did . Something like that you shouldn’t forget. That’s like forgetting to put registration number.

The 107 doesn't post your address- if you have one, look yourself up:

Found myself there; one of four people with my name. The only info there is about my certificate (type, date & ratings). In red type it says: Airman opted-out of releasing address. I do put a phone # on my drones, and will put a photo on each SD card with contact info, after reading the idea here.

Like an email? PM address? That is safe. Also make it voluntary like the FCC does for HAM licenses.

I'm curious, exactly what aspect of a ham license is 'voluntary?' I mean, I suppose you could just skip the license, and operate on the airwaves illegally. Not exactly a method one would recommend, either in the world of radios or operating aircraft.

Keep in mind that people UNDER the age of 18 are included in this database so it's probably never "Going Public". IIRC that's the main reason it's kept under Lock & Key.

Minors often have amateur radio licenses too, but that doesn't stop their license information being public.

I'm curious, exactly what aspect of a ham license is 'voluntary?' I mean, I suppose you could just skip the license, and operate on the airwaves illegally. Not exactly a method one would recommend, either in the world of radios or operating aircraft.

Minors often have amateur radio licenses too, but that doesn't stop their license information being public.

If you look up your license callsign on the FCC website, your address can be suppressed as one can voluntarily request this.

Note that other private databases may still post your old address from the older FCC website whennit used to show everyone’s address.

Reactions: BigAl07

I didn't say it made any sense but I gave my opinion and the one I've heard from some who are "In the know" with the FAA.

HAM licenses etc were around long before the world was in the moral decay it is today. In this day of predators around every corner we tend to error on the side of caution a LOT more than we used to especially when it comes to minors and their personal information.

Reactions: Mavic Mac and AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe153