DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why isn't there a Return to Controller function????

Reactions
I am sure this has been discussed but I can't find the thread. Why isn't there a Return to Controller function? It would be great for all of us that actually are on the move when using a drone. I am out on boats or in the mountains and moving while filming.

Sure it would have to do something like just hover since it can't land on the controller or it would just allow you to land it once hovering in your "area". Does not seem like a hard function to include. Anyone else want something like this?

Last edited:
If you have an Android device, one option would be to use Litchi. It includes a dynamic home point function that auto resets the home point to your current location as you're flying.

I am sure this has been discussed but I can't find the thread. Why isn't there a Return to Controller function? It would be great for all of us that actually are on the move when using a drone. I am out on boats or in the mountains and moving while filming.

Sure it would have to do something like just hover since it can't land on the controller or it would just allow you to land it once hovering in your "area". Does not seem like a hard function to include. Anyone else want something like this?
The controller doesn't have GPS built into it, so for this to work you'd have to be using a device with GPS built into it. A lot of people don't.

And if using DJI GO, you'll have to manually reset the home point each time you move.

I'm relatively new, but I feel like I've seen the dynamic RTH on my DJI App... is it not there for everyone else?

If you go into the settings and change it to this icon (the one on the right).
6FCA3973-190A-4A02-8B6F-056C5BCDB980.jpeg
It should return to the location of the controller which will maintain gps of the device (provided it has gps) I’ve used this on a boat, and it will return to the controller when moving around.

Reactions: drw52jc
I feel like I've seen the dynamic RTH on my DJI App... is it not there for everyone else?
That dynamic home point feature can only be used if you're flying in ActiveTrack mode.

DJI-GO-Dynamic-Home-Point.jpg

Reactions: PolarBZ
If you go into the settings and change it to this icon (the one on the right).
View attachment 32326
It should return to the location of the controller which will maintain gps of the device (provided it has gps) I’ve used this on a boat, and it will return to the controller when moving around.
That feature only allows the home point to be manually reset to the Mavic's current location or the mobile device's current location. If either move after setting the home point, you'll need to reset the home point again to update it.

The Mavic does have RTC in a round about way.
But for it to work you need a few requirements.
One) a device (phone / tablet) with built-in GPS and turned on.

Two) as home point is not dynamic you must constantly update your GPS position off device/RC to the Mavic.
This can be done two ways.
In settings under the drone icon/main control settings tap the person icon to set current position and send to Mavic.

Or on Android device just swipe main screen to the left and select homepoint me.

Now this is the easiest part.

Your question was "why isn't there a return to controler function"

Well now there is but before you hit the return to home (RTH)
Just swipe screen (android) left and tap homepoint me or iOS in settings select the person icon under main settings which sends the current GPS and exact position of you right now to Mavic and then Hit RTH and Mavic will return to YOU your now current position.

So no matter where you move to or how far away you go from take of/homepoint just a quick update of your new Position Via Homepoint me to Mavic right before you hit RTH will bring Mavic to you/controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002