DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S 4K image quality

30% bigger is slight, at least compared to the difference in aperture which if you know how to read it is several stops better
Simple fact: A camera with an f1.7 aperture and a 1 inch 48MP sensor will have lower noise and better low light performance than a camera with an f1.7 aperture and a 1/2 inch 48MP sensor. In fact, nearly 4 times better in some quantitative measurements, particularly concerning noise.

Your claim that the Mini 3 has superior low light performance simply because the (fixed) aperture of the camera is larger is meaningless absent specification and comparison of other critical, interacting parameters of the camera design and technology.

It suggests an incomplete understanding of these camera systems, their operation, design, and the optics involved.

but for the average flyer once You have gotten to the point of video and pictures being excellent then improvements are just nice to have. Kinda feel that way about phones too. Anyway the sensors and flight characteristics are The important stuff.
I'll begin by acknowledging this is subjective. One person's "good enough" doesn't come close for another. Both are right.

That said, there are some technical characteristics that have reached the point of diminishing returns both perceptually by most as well as measurably. Resolution is like that on small screens, and very soon will be on big screens too.

On the other hand, color reproduction and dynamic range are still making large improvements generation to generation, and these improvements are visible pretty much to everyone.

DLOG is simply and artifact of sensor limitation. The day we don't need DLOG any more is when we've reached diminishing returns on that one.

Reactions: Artemis
The nano+ completely …… all over the Air2S so hard it’s almost embarrassing that they both came out in the same year.

If the 3Pro is even half as good as the Nano+ with regards to image quality (this includes noise level and low light performance btw) then I expect a lot of Air2S drones on Craigslist
The low light performance of the Nano+ is astonishing!!! 👍

The better resolution in the overhead daytime shots... didn't see it. The Nano+ looked oversharpened, no greater detail, A2S looked poorly graded.

I even did a 5 second screen recording and color graded it on my phone with PowerDirector mobile, and made it look much much better.

Don't know how Vic screwed that up, but he did.

Simple fact: A camera with an f1.7 aperture and a 1 inch 48MP sensor will have lower noise and better low light performance than a camera with an f1.7 aperture and a 1/2 inch 48MP sensor. In fact, nearly 4 times better in some quantitative measurements, particularly concerning noise.

Your claim that the Mini 3 has superior low light performance simply because the (fixed) aperture of the camera is larger is meaningless absent specification and comparison of other critical, interacting parameters of the camera design and technology.

It suggests an incomplete understanding of these camera systems, their operation, design, and the optics involved.
The mini3 pro is not even out yet,no one knows how the camera is going to perform yet.
Its all speculation at the moment,until user reviews start coming in,whenever that will be.

It also will beat Mavic 3 image quality. I saw it on the internet so it must be true.

If it does beat Air 2S image quality then great. I will buy one right away.
AH no way will it come close to the M3 quality,and probably relatively close in regards to the
Air 2s,but falling short.How do I know this its easy
The M3 is a high end model in their lineup,the air 2s is the midrange,and mini 3 pro will be in the
under 249gram listing.Why would they build it to sabotage the other two models in their current lineup,
sales wise.Yes the mini 3 pro will probably be the best mini drone out there.No one has any reviews on the Mini 3 pro yet
so it would be pretty hard to make comparisons at this time,until reviews come in.

• Haha
Reactions: test2000Anafi

Again merely wishful thinking on your part, nothing more.

Your entire logic is:
“A bigger sensor catches more light, therefor the bigger sensor has better image quality (everything else being the same like quality of optics).

so the amount of light is important to you.

Let’s pretend the Air2S sensor is double the size of 3 pro, which it isn’t by any metric but lets pretend it is.
You would argue that the Air2S sensor catches double the amount of light, correct?

Now what if you were able to comprehend that an F1.7 aperture means several times more light reaches the sensor compared to F2.8.

Looks like your 1 inch sensor in this case is crippled by the comparatively small F2.8 aperture when going up against nano + or 3 pro

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
Looks like your 1 inch sensor in this case is crippled by the comparatively small F2.8 aperture when going up against nano + or 3 pro
It looks like you'll never understand that there's more to a good image than a lens with a bigger aperture.
The only difference a bigger aperture makes is in very low light conditions.
But even then, having a bigger aperture does not ensure better image quality.

Most real cameras have a controllable aperture and most photography is done using less than the maximum aperture.
Why would that be?

It looks like you'll never understand that there's more to a good image than a lens with a bigger aperture.
The only difference a bigger aperture makes is in very low light conditions.
But even then, having a bigger aperture does not ensure better image quality.

Most real cameras have a controllable aperture and most photography is done using less than the maximum aperture.
Why would that be?
It looks like you will never understand that low light photography image quality will always benefit from high aperture. That is fine, and for about a 1-2 weeks at most you will believe in what you claim. You cannot deny it anymore once the embargoes lift.

Your 1 inch sensor does literally nothing when you compare it to the /1.3 inch one in the nano+

You will never understand that sensor size is not the most important factor with regards to image quality, and that is fine. It is not my job to teach you things, ask your teachers or parents

• Haha
I understand a lot about photography and you have no knowledge of the level of my understanding.
It looks like you will never understand that low light photography image quality will always benefit from high aperture.
I understand that a larger aperture can be a benefit in low light photography ... if I can't or don't want to increase shutter speed or ISO.
But the point that you have no understanding of is that the quality of the resulting image depends on a lot more than just the aperture size.

Your 1 inch sensor does literally nothing when you compare it to the /1.3 inch one in the nano+
Really? You've shown nothing to make me believe that.
You will never understand that sensor size is not the most important factor with regards to image quality, and that is fine. It is not my job to teach you things, ask your teachers or parents
From what you've demonstrated, I wouldn't want you teaching me anything about photography.
You've had it explained multiple times and haven't grasped the basic facts.
At this point, it's clear you just aren't going to understand or you are just trolling.
This whole "discussion" has been a waste of time and effort

Goodbye.

Reactions: Okie and c64-dev
I am not sure why there is an argument about which camera is better. The Mini 3 is not out as yet and I bet Dji will disappoint us just like they did with the Mavic 3. Think with your head before opening your wallets this time.
There is chance that Air2S is the best drone they will ever make and it will never be topped?…

For most image attributes I’d say that nano+ already objectively beats Air2S

• Haha
There is chance that Air2S is the best drone they will ever make and it will never be topped?…

For most image attributes I’d say that nano+ already objectively beats Air2S
The Air2S is an amazing drone. I have owned the Lite + with the 1 inch sensor and its camera quality was amazing as well. Internally the Nano and Lite did alot of colour correction.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
Of course not, but the way you are banging the Mini 3 drum people would be forgiven for thinking it's going to be the best drone ever released with a camera that is better than anything that's come before. This is patently not going to be the case.
I'm sure it's going to be a great little drone and a big upgrade over the Mini 2. It may even beat the Air2S for image quality and low-light if DJI can employ some computational magic. It's not going to be the second coming of our-lord Jesus Christ, nor is it going to obsolete the entire DJI fleet on release because that would be a monumentally stupid business decision by DJI that they are unlikely to make.

Reactions: c64-dev and Faster
Long time photographer enthusiast here, who out of professional habits (engineer) likes to study how things work; I'm not going to try to get into an explanation on why @test2000Anafi is utterly clueless about what affects image quality.

I'm only going to ask one simple question. @test2000Anafi WHY do you insist so maniacally on proving everyone else wrong over the completely pointless non-issue of whether an upcoming flying gadget beats all previous models to oblivion? Do you get some sort of enjoyment out of this? You've managed to argue with most members in here, many if whom are very knowledgeable and are kind enough to dedicate their time to help others, be it with flying advice, crash analysis etc. Is it worth it? I honestly want to know.

The image quality for 3 Pro is better. I tried to give an explanation as to how this could happen. I believe it has to do with the aperture in combination with the relatively big sensor. As the Air2S sensor is even bigger, the aperture is the main differentiating factor. Pixel size is the same. I don’t expect the sensor to be that much more advanced compared to Air2S.

Instead of learning something and preparing for the inevitable, you wanted to argue over it. Why? It will not change anything. Your Air2S is still a good drone. One of the best, not the best, but still one of the best. Ain’t that enough?

• Haha

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt