DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why not 900mhz for control ?

Biggie777

Reactions
I wonder if DJI ever considered using 900 mhz like TBS crossfire when it comes to controller range and penetration?

I figure since 900 mhz would be better for at least the RC controller for range, latency,and penetration and interference,though probably not the best for video,I wonder why not a 900/5.8 deal over 2.4/5.8 ?

one has to be licensed, the other does not
I kind of figured it might have had something to do with 900 mhz not being legal to use in a lot of countries but I wasn't sure of the specifics. I.e crossfire runs on 900mhz and I don't think you need a license for that ,or do you? Just looking for some enlightened but thanks for the answer.

900Mhz is a standard GSM frequency used round the world and from what I can see in the UK the only companies that can use this frequency spectrum are telecoms operators, it doesn't appear to be available for any other use. I wouldn't be surprised to find other countries with similar policies to avoid problems with GSM systems.

Looking at a site selling the product there is a disclaimer which suggests they know it isn't legal to use in the UK:

Please Note:
The TBS Crossfire is capable of transmitting on either 868Mhz and 915Mhz at 10, 25, 100, 500mW (+1W and 2W with external power source) - please check with your local authorities regarding the operation of this equipment before you purchase. Regulations on power output, usable frequencies and licenses’ to operate vary from region to region.

Reactions: Biggie777
Another couple of possible reasons for opting not to use 900mhz is its use as a sort of backup amateur radio frequency and the sheer number of devices that use it, even if only legacy ones. In the US, and i suspect elsewhere, it was used for SO MANY different purposes. Cordless phones, garage door openers, wireless doorbells and so on. I can remember at their peak some people would get phantom calls where their cordless phones would ring once but not their landlines because someone a block over had opened or closed their garage. So they started pushing in to the 2.4ghz and I believe 5.8 for the phones but by that point companies started putting in additional chips or software or whatever to properly pair/ bind them so that active interference between devices was drastically reduced. Now we just have a ton of passive interference bubbles blocking or degrading instead of my phone telling your drone to go in to a nosedive whenever I use speeddial.

All radio frequencies are tightly regulated, otherwise there would be chaos. The telecom companies are currently trying to appropriate some amateur radio bands as they are running out due to the technical demands of the increasing broadband requirements.

900Mhz is a standard GSM frequency used round the world and from what I can see in the UK the only companies that can use this frequency spectrum are telecoms operators, it doesn't appear to be available for any other use. I wouldn't be surprised to find other coun

Another couple of possible reasons for opting not to use 900mhz is its use as a sort of backup amateur radio frequency and the sheer number of devices that use it, even if only legacy ones. In the US, and i suspect elsewhere, it was used for SO MANY different purposes. Cordless phones, garage door openers, wireless doorbells and so on. I can remember at their peak some people would get phantom calls where their cordless phones would ring once but not their landlines because someone a block over had opened or closed their garage. So they started pushing in to the 2.4ghz and I believe 5.8 for the phones but by that point companies started putting in additional chips or software or whatever to properly pair/ bind them so that active interference between devices was drastically reduced. Now we just have a ton of passive interference bubbles blocking or degrading instead of my phone telling your drone to go in to a nosedive whenever I use speeddial.
I do remember these days . Lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada