DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi and Drones

LGLDSR73

Reactions
I apologize if this is not the correct Forum for this question....

I was a Network Administrator for 40+ years for Lockheed, Raytheon and Qualcomm so I know a...bit...about WiFi. Had to when seven and eight-figure Exec's couldn't connect to a wireless network.

WiFi. I know it's range limitations regardless of Bandwidth. And yet I keep seeing it popup within Specs for Drones. To wit, the DJ Air2S:

Operating Frequency
2.4 GHz
5.8 GHz

Wi-Fi Transmitter Power (EIRP)
2.400-2.4835 GHz: < 23 dBm (FCC), < 20 dBm (CE/SRRC/MIC)
5.150-5.250 GHz: < 23 dBm (FCC/CE/SRRC/MIC)
5.725-5.850 GHz: < 23 dBm (FCC/SRRC), < 14 dBm (CE)

This cannot refer to the availability of nearby wireless accessibility as the range just is not there and anyone with half a brain is (hopefully) going to have their WiFi secured. The only thing I can think of is that either the Drone or the Controller are broadcasting a WiFi signal while the other receives same and even then how it's managing to do so over the ranges of flight escapes me. Cell Towers are out, not part of the equation.

I was under the impression that the only time WiFi was necessary was to connect the App to the Drone but the above specs have thrown me. I am new to all of this so any input is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Lyman

The only thing I can think of is that either the Drone or the Controller are broadcasting a WiFi signal while the other receives same and even then how it's managing to do so over the ranges of flight escapes me.

Yes.

It has its own boosted signal between each other.

DJI OcuSync 1, 2, 3.

Some of the older models of DJI (Spark, mini 1, etc.) didn't have the OcuSync but a modified Wi-Fi system and the range was limited if in a heavy Wi-Fi area such as a neighborhood or apartment block with lots of Wi-Fi traffic.

The Spark used two. One to communicate between the device and the remote. The other to and from the aircraft.

Heck, you didn't even need a remote for the Spark as you could fly it on the Sparks Wi-Fi with limited range using your phone.

Then somebody plugged an OTG cable in the remote and device that helped by eliminating the Wi-Fi between the device / remote.

Here's some search results about the 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies that may help since I'm kinda wingin' it.

Reactions: LGLDSR73
MA2 317, thank you for the clarification and the URL which I've just read. Much appreciated for the clarification!
Best,

Lyman

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne