Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why RID Receivers....??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've searched around and no joy. I don't understand why a UAS pilot would want a RID receiver. Can someone educate me or point me in the right direction?

Its a nice curiosity to spy on your drone pilot neighbors.

More likely than us pilots using an RID receiver, it will be someone who instinctively hates drones using one. I'm waiting for the first of us to get beat up or worse now that this nightmare is coming to reality. Once one of us gets hurt then maybe the inevitable lawsuit will help the rest of our community.

Reactions: thispilothere
I'm waiting for the first of us to get beat up or worse now that this nightmare is coming to reality. Once one of us gets hurt then maybe the inevitable lawsuit will help the rest of our community.

The only reason to have the pilot location disclosed is to make it easy to...confront the pilot. Maybe the whole point is to get us to quit the hobby and free the airspace for the deep pockets waiting to use it.

Reactions: Will_UK
I'm waiting for the other side of the story, the drone pilot that is not afraid of packing a gun and when the Karen's show up they shoot and ask questions later.
Don't think that is going to happen? Just watch the news on how many crazy people are out there.
Reads like your suggesting such to happen.
As far as watching the news there‘s nonstop violence going on without Rid receivers .
Me will have one if it’s a app so I can tell if any other pilots are in my area as not to clash or interfere with their project.

Now if you guys want to just be negative then this will be closed .
Comment but be civil please.

Allow me to clarify my question more. As a remote pilot, why would I want an RID receiver? Beyond a desire to know about any other drones in the area, I can't see any practical purpose. Am I missing something?

I understand that people will have flight info available to them which I'm not too pleased about. I have no problem with LE having access to this information. Considering how volatile the general public can be especially when ignorance is the dominate paradigm, as it stands now it looks like a recipe for disaster on some level.

Other than having a method of validating RID's functionality, a receiver seems like a swing and a miss.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Allow me to clarify my question more. As a remote pilot, why would I want an RID receiver? Beyond a desire to know about any other drones in the area, I can't see any practical purpose. Am I missing something?

I understand that people will have flight info available to them which I'm not too pleased about. I have no problem with LE having access to this information. Considering how volatile the general public can be especially when ignorance is the dominate paradigm, as it stands now it looks like a recipe for disaster on some level.

Other than having a method of validating RID's functionality, a receiver seems like a swing and a miss.
To me it's a neat gadget for about five minutes, then into the junk drawer!!

The obvious reason is to check if the airspace where you pretend to fly is clear of other drones, just like ADS-B tells you if there are any planes/copters.

It's pretty unlikely to have a crash between two small drones in a threedimentional space, but with a RID receiver or karen app, you know for sure it's clear.

Reactions: AZDave and dirkclod
The obvious reason is to check if the airspace where you pretend to fly is clear of other drones, just like ADS-B tells you if there are any planes/copters.

It's pretty unlikely to have a crash between two small drones in a threedimentional space, but with a RID receiver or karen app, you know for sure it's clear.
Unlikely for sure but it does happen or could. Was doing a POA around a high School foot ball game and saw another drone’s light
doing the same. Looked like we where close to the same height so I aborted. I understand some concerns but think lots want to just go down the negative route.

Stay on track and keep the Community Guidelines in mind when posting.
Like all other discussions on RID, this one is starting to go sideways.

Reactions: AZDave and dirkclod
My RID Rx should be here one day this week. I wanted it "just because". I figure it'll be interesting for half an hour and then it'll go into the UAS Go Bag to not been seen again until next year when I clean out the Go Bag LOL.

Apparently the original intent consistent with the faas purpose was to allow quads from running into each other and traffic avoidance. Somehow that got diverted to just being transmit only so that some inept person who knows nothing about it can feel like their uninitiated judgment is the only thing that matters. And the fact that the FAA doesn't have the necessary manpower to check every occurrence. And they wanted it all online, but since there is spotty telecom coverage they couldn't have it. So leaving it up to your local fuzz. But any sightings up to this point by manned aircraft, were already being referred to leos. Not sure they'll be able to find these guys. Any report of a quad sighting will come down on any quad guy they see standing around even if the quad they're looking for is completely somewhere else.

My RID Rx should be here one day this week. I wanted it "just because". I figure it'll be interesting for half an hour and then it'll go into the UAS Go Bag to not been seen again until next year when I clean out the Go Bag LOL.
Oh yeah I better get that out and use it now that it is required.

I recognize that everyone's situation is different and therefore the equipment that serves them best will vary.
My situation is probably different than most. I live and fly in a very rural area and I'm more likely to win the lottery and get struck by lightning than to see another drone . I'm more concerned with having an incident with an eagle or another raptor. This is a very real possibility. That said, a RID receiver probably won't benefit me much.

I understand the concerns of those who are in a different situations and I'm thankful I shouldn't have to deal with those possibilities.........

The only reason to have the pilot location disclosed is to make it easy to...confront the pilot. Maybe the whole point is to get us to quit the hobby and free the airspace for the deep pockets waiting to use it.
Exactly ! I’ve been saying this for awhile now. The big corporations, yeah talking about you Amazon, have the $$$ to deal with any potential lawsuits from any of their drones crashing into grandmas yard or worse, cutting up some kid running to get a package being delivered.
RID is an attempt to get rid ( no pun intended, or is it ?) of Joe Average drone flyer, so they can rule the skies. Just MY opinion.

Exactly ! I’ve been saying this for awhile now. The big corporations, yeah talking about you Amazon, have the $$$ to deal with any potential lawsuits from any of their drones crashing into grandmas yard or worse, cutting up some kid running to get a package being delivered.
RID is an attempt to get rid ( no pun intended, or is it ?) of Joe Average drone flyer, so they can rule the skies. Just MY opinion.
Spinning a bit off topic....I respectfully disagree. The consumer drone market is somewhere between 3-4 billion per year and I doubt the powers that be want that to evaporate. In some ways RID is poorly conceived and poorly executed but I feel that it's a necessary evil, Time will tell and I hope the concerns about it don't materialize.

I believe that security on many levels is the prime driving force behind RID.

Reads like your suggesting such to happen.
As far as watching the news there‘s nonstop violence going on without Rid receivers .
Me will have one if it’s a app so I can tell if any other pilots are in my area as not to clash or interfere with their project.

Now if you guys want to just be negative then this will be closed .
Comment but be civil please.
As to the non stop violence,we don't need an additional stimulus to up the level.

Spinning a bit off topic....I respectfully disagree. The consumer drone market is somewhere between 3-4 billion per year and I doubt the powers that be want that to evaporate. In some ways RID is poorly conceived and poorly executed but I feel that it's a necessary evil, Time will tell and I hope the concerns about it don't materialize.

I believe that security on many levels is the prime driving force behind RID.
Electronic mayhem will fix all of our problems. Remote id is ill conceived.

If RID helps keep folks flying within the rules and reduces the number of those giving the hobby & UAV business's a bad name, then I think the benefits far outweigh any possible downside. If you follow the rules you don't have to worry about it.

If RID helps keep folks flying within the rules and reduces the number of those giving the hobby & UAV business's a bad name, then I think the benefits far outweigh any possible downside. If you follow the rules you don't have to worry about it.
But didn't the FAA initially promise all those issues would already be solved by mandatory registration?

I think the primary justification behind RID identifying the location of the pilot was that it should somehow deter the use of UAVs in domestic terrorism. Anything related to "Homeland Security" overrides your personal rights and freedoms.

The resulting availability of "Karen apps" is just a byproduct and unfortunate consequence of you benefiting from the overall improvement in national security. 🤓
Would I ever get myself an RID receiver? Maybe. I so rarely ever see another drone being flown, I'd be really curious to know who's flying it and where they're at so I could go meet up with them. Everyone in my neighbourhood already knows it's me flying the drone. If somebody complains about drones spying on them, I'd love to be able to point the finger at someone else.

As to the non stop violence,we don't need an additional stimulus to up the level.
I honestly believe most are worrying a lot about nothing. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav