DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why so many sales.

warpfactor55

Reactions
I find it quite amazing how many people are selling their Mavics on places such as eBay. Some only seem to have owned them for a few months, sometimes even only weeks. I am fortunate in that I have land to fly mine over when I get it but why do so many people sell what was quite an expensive item so soon after they have bought it ? Is it because they have found that they are actually restricted in what they can do with them ?

And why are there "new" ones available from individuals ? I always check the feedback and in most cases the Sellers look like sole traders selling lots of electrical type of merchandise. Are they foreign spec. drones as opposed to U.K. ones which they have sourced from overseas at a cheaper price ?

Reactions: valenb40
Maybe because these things are expensive and very complicated to some people. You can't just run outside and flip a switch and go flying. I got my pro off Craigslist, brand new, heavy discount. The guy got it as a gift...I need better friends.

Some only seem to have owned them for a few months, sometimes even only weeks.

Some of my best friends have a policy that if a toy (something that is not making money for you) is sitting for more than a month and not being used, it's getting sold before it devalues too much. I think that's a great policy if you really have no idea of when you are going to use it again.

And why are there "new" ones available from individuals ?

Maybe buyers remorse. $1000 is alot of money if you arent sure you made the right decision to buy it, or it is just sitting not being opened or used.

My biggest factor for selling drones is that my wife will usually frown upon me buying anything new until I have sold some of my old ones. Last month was a very busy selling month for me with the Mavic Air coming out and also possibly an MP2 on the horizon. Out with the old, in with the new. Great time of year for a spring cleaning.

Buyer's remorse - Wikipedia

Thanks guys for your interesting takes on the subject. The whole issue is confusing me a little though. I like to save money like most folk so do I look for what I think is a good deal on a s/h drone or just go out and buy a new one ?

i bought 2 mavics in first part of december,,that yet to have been flown..i bought a used spark and phantom to learn all the basics,i went into this hobby knowing i would lose money and that they would sit alot due to various reasons,even if i lose 3/4 of purchased price that too was considered ahead of time.
its the price we accept ahead of time with our hobbies.,about the only hobby of mine that ive come out ahead was my comic books which has been an excellent investment.

What I don't understand is how some individuals are selling just one new mavic in amongst all their oher electrical stuff, games, xboxes, etc. In some cases the Mavic boxes have never been opened. Where do they come from ?

Reactions: wytnyt
What I don't understand is how some individuals are selling just one new mavic in amongst all their oher electrical stuff, games, xboxes, etc. In some cases the Mavic boxes have never been opened. Where do they come from ?
exactly,we have lots of toys that gets used sporadically and the thought of selling isnt even considered,i dont buy things with the possibility of selling,now i may sell one if something is better out there but as a rule i usually just buy it,selling for me is just hard to do

Maybe someone got it for christmas and it sat on the shelf for a month before they finally got around to selling it (because they never used it).

Nothing surprising, weird or unusual at all. Take a look at used cell phones, or any other tech device. Look at camera gear or sporting goods. Look at cars. Just about anything you pick, there are current versions, barely used, for sale everywhere.

The Mavic was probably the first high end drone to appeal widely to the general public who wouldn't have looked at a Phantom before. Will have been given as gift to people who don't want it, or be bought by people who had no idea what they were getting into and change their mind either after a flight or 2 or even before.

Nothing surprising, weird or unusual at all. Take a look at used cell phones, or any other tech device. Look at camera gear or sporting goods. Look at cars. Just about anything you pick, there are current versions, barely used, for sale everywhere.
My thoughts exactly. When viewed alone - the sales might seem shocking. When put in context with all electronics...etc., it appears to be average. I recently sold a Nikon D7200 after having it for just a few months. I've been shooting photos for over 40 years, but I just didn't like this camera - for many reasons. If you look ONLY at nearly new D7200s for sale, you would think there was a similar problem to this discussion. Context is everything.

Perhaps, after being in business for over 50 years, I have become overly suspicious. But I don't think so.

i bought 2 mavics in first part of december,,that yet to have been flown..i bought a used spark and phantom to learn all the basics,i went into this hobby knowing i would lose money and that they would sit alot due to various reasons,even if i lose 3/4 of purchased price that too was considered ahead of time.
its the price we accept ahead of time with our hobbies.,about the only hobby of mine that ive come out ahead was my comic books which has been an excellent investment.

Nice
New pilot with 4 drones!

Reactions: wytnyt
I wish I had bought my MavicPro as my first drone...you wouldn’t see it for sale that’s for sure. Lot of good insight on this post. I think it’s a combination of buyer’s remorse and discovering it’s not an “open and play” device. I did sell my other drone because it was not very portable; I travel fairly often and make vacation videos...the Mavic allows me to do that and spice up the vacation videos with some aerial footage. Nope, MINE is not for sale! Safe Flying, everyone...

Many of my drone school students tell me they are terrified to fly. More than one has told me that when they took to the skies it felt like they were holding a handful of hundred dollar bills out their car window. This is why there are so many for sale they are afraid of destroying them because they don't really understand what they are doing.

Many of my drone school students tell me they are terrified to fly. More than one has told me that when they took to the skies it felt like they were holding a handful of hundred dollar bills out their car window. This is why there are so many for sale they are afraid of destroying them because they don't really understand what they are doing.

So true!
I remember when I got my 1st real drone P3s and even thow it wasn’t a huge investment ( which took away some anxiety, it was still very nerve racking. The more I became familiar with the ac and myself as a pilot, it became much more enjoyable. Especially when you trust the ac. I’ve told s few people to go test your rth and understand it. Once you have confidence, you can then have fun with it.
Now my Mavic is still in the learning phase as I’m still getting use to it but getting more comfortable with it now.
Took her out 2 Miles chasing the Disney Mickey cruise ship.
Hey, my daughter wanted to see it but it was way off shore. No prob fine the Mavic
Not selling mine anytime soon!’mike

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15