DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why the need for ND filters to video hyperlapse?

JustJeff

Reactions
Hey everyone. First off, I'm basically brand new to being a pilot, and nowhere near considered a "photographer" or "videographer". But I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos to learn more about becoming better at flying and using more features on my Air 2S. I had forgotten that this drone was even capable of filming them until I saw them featured on several YouTube videos.

In most of the videos I've watched, they said that when making a day-to-night video for a hyperlapse, that an ND filter needed to be used for the day portion of it. I can't wrap my head around the reasoning for this. Can somebody explain it to me in laymen's terms please? Also, is the set of four ND filters that I received in the fly-more combo enough? Someone mentioned needing a 500 or even 1,000 ND filter to accomplish the correct effects on video. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

ND filters are used to slow the shutter speed on video to facilitate motion blur. Hyperlapse is not video in the conventional sense. It is a series of individual photos taken with your choice of parameters. I do not use them and get some pretty good results.
This -

ND filters are used to slow the shutter speed on video to facilitate motion blur. Hyperlapse is not video in the conventional sense. It is a series of individual photos taken with your choice of parameters. I do not use them and get some pretty good results.
This -
Ah.......so the filters create the motion blur. Thanks!

Any fast moving objects will show up somewhat jittery in hyper lapse. I tend to use ND filters on virtually everything I shoot (other than night time, of course). I also try to slightly underexpose as the Air2s has a tendency to blow out highlights to a disturbing degree. Remember: Detail is your friend in Time Lapse only when the object is static. For everything else you want shutter drag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk