DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why Would I Use WiFi?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi,
Newbie here....... I'm thinking of getting the MA but, I don't understand the different reasons of using WiFi or not. Could anyone point me in the right direction in explaining it's uses along with why? In addition, do I need a data plan for it's use? Thanks, Ray

Hi,
Newbie here....... I'm thinking of getting the MA but, I don't understand the different reasons of using WiFi or not. Could anyone point me in the right direction in explaining it's uses along with why? In addition, do I need a data plan for it's use? Thanks, Ray
No data plan.

Hi,
In reference to the MA, DJI has installed their new enhanced wifi system, not to be confused with the wifi of the spark or the wifi in your home. Wifi is a technology used for the transmission of radio waves. In this case you do not need a data plan. Flight distances for each individual varies at each location but there seems to be a consensus that the wifi on the MA is superior to the spark although subpar as compared to ocusync of the MP. Keep in mind though, though, with the MA you are getting a much more stable gimbal with less issues and a better image quality than that of the MP. If this is your first drone, the MA is great choice.

Maybe the op is referring to flying with a wifi device without the controller in play. The range is limited but it does work fine. I flew mine around the front yard using my iphone 8. It works perfectly and would be an option for hiking and only carrying the Air in the small case and a wifi device. It is a little strange to use "sticks" on the screen but it is such a stable drone that I had no problem with it. No cell connection is required for the wifi mode to work.

There are three modes of control of the Air
gesture mode - drone paired to operators hand - no controller or tablet/phone
wifi - drone paired to tablet/phone - no controller
traditional - drone paired to the controller with a tablet/ phone plugged into the controller

Last edited:
In reference to the MA, DJI has installed their new enhanced wifi system, not to be confused with the wifi of the spark or the wifi in your home. Wifi is a technology used for the transmission of radio waves. In this case you do not need a data plan. Flight distances for each individual varies at each location but there seems to be a consensus that the wifi on the MA is superior to the spark although subpar as compared to ocusync of the MP. Keep in mind though, though, with the MA you are getting a much more stable gimbal with less issues and a better image quality than that of the MP. If this is your first drone, the MA is great choice.

Thanks......... It's good to know that a WiFi data plan is not needed. This would be my first drone and with all the sensors I believe that it would be to my advantage. The 4K at 100mbs has me pretty much sold on it over the others. Thanks again, Ray

Maybe the op is referring to flying with a wifi device without the controller in play. The range is limited but it does work fine. I flew mine around the front yard using my iphone 8. It works perfectly and would be an option for hiking and only carrying the Air in the small case and a wifi device. It is a little strange to use "sticks" on the screen but it is such a stable drone that I had no problem with it. No cell connection is required for the wifi mode to work.

There are three modes of control of the Air
gesture mode - drone paired to operators hand - no controller or tablet/phone
wifi - drone paired to tablet/phone - no controller
traditional - drone paired to the controller with a tablet/ phone plugged into the controller

So basically, all I need WiFi for would be for an external device without the controller using the DJI app., that's awesome. Thanks for explaining the modes. Ray

I owned a P4 and sold it to buy an Air. Its really fun in all three modes I listed. It's so easy I let my daughter and her boyfriend fly it. The "jedi" gesture mode is very fun to play with. Gesture mode works in all three modes Btw.

I owned a P4 and sold it to buy an Air. Its really fun in all three modes I listed. It's so easy I let my daughter and her boyfriend fly it. The "jedi" gesture mode is very fun to play with. Gesture mode works in all three modes Btw.
Awesome!! :)

Hello. I am resurrecting this old thread because I am unable to connect all of the WiFi dots that are above.
Apologies for the n00b questions, but my understanding is that:

When flying without a remote controller, an iPhone, etc. can be used to directly communicate with a MA via WiFi.
When flying with an RC, a wired (USB to lightning) connection is made from iPhone to RC.

My questions are:

When flying with an RC, is it correct that the RC is communicating with the MA via WiFi as well?
Do the WiFi settings in DJI GO 4 have any effect on the communication between RC and MA?
If I plan to use my RC at all times, is there any point in trying to determine a best channel and band for Wifi within DJI Go or would this only affect my direct iPhone connection to the MA?

Thanks in advance. I freely admit that I might be getting my WiFis jumbled up...

Hello. I am resurrecting this old thread because I am unable to connect all of the WiFi dots that are above.
Apologies for the n00b questions, but my understanding is that:

When flying without a remote controller, an iPhone, etc. can be used to directly communicate with a MA via WiFi.
When flying with an RC, a wired (USB to lightning) connection is made from iPhone to RC.

My questions are:

When flying with an RC, is it correct that the RC is communicating with the MA via WiFi as well?
Do the WiFi settings in DJI GO 4 have any effect on the communication between RC and MA?
If I plan to use my RC at all times, is there any point in trying to determine a best channel and band for Wifi within DJI Go or would this only affect my direct iPhone connection to the MA?

Thanks in advance. I freely admit that I might be getting my WiFis jumbled up...

I'm not sure
No.
No. Just leave it on auto mode and it will mostly be fine. The only exception is if you are flying in built up areas where there may be home wifi networks, but you really shouldn't be flying in those areas anyway.

The MA and most other drones work by using wifi signals back and forth between the controller and the drone (NOT your phone, UNLESS you use your phone as the controller). These are on the 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz range. By default your MA will auto select the bands that it detects are the best interference free. Because ranges are the same as household wifi, if you are flying around homes you may still get some interference. Then and only then it might be worth manually adjusting the bands it has selected.
I've been flying my MA since December 2018. I normally fly in countryside areas, but I do fly in lightly populated areas sometimes. I have never experienced a problem with connectivity as yet, except where there has been something blocking my signal to the drone i.e. trees, buildings or I am in a low level area. I usually only tend to fly VLOS, so well within the range the MA is capable of.

Fly safe!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima