DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why you shouldn't buy a Mavic 2 or any drone that relies on your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't at all read like someone with an axe to grind.
I don't. I wish it worked. If I would not have an issue just trying to sign up with the app I would have not gone out to the internet to find resolution, only to find many people who have issues.

My opinion was a wish list, having the phone creates another point of potential problems. If no phone or if no problem with the app, I would be flying my drone right now instead of packing it up to send back to Amazon. No one here even offered advice on how to resolve the issue. One guy said go to a field, but if he would have read the link, he would have seen I read it and already tried that. I was even considering calling support and maybe getting a different engineer but I have already spend hours. Some have suggested I am incompetent enough to have a drone. Well that may be true it is my first drone, but I also worked in the computer industry and know a thing or two. Even a PC. if someone messes it up, you do a factory reset, everything works again. Same with an android phone. When I asked support if there was a factory reset, they said no. It is a brick out of the box until you get the firmware updates and up and running.

I may have had a defective unit and the bad taste in my mouth was too much. Perhaps a racing drone. I know how to solder and also know if it does not work, it is probably my fault and not an android app.

Unfortunately DJI phone support personnel aren't always reliable sources of accurate information.
Between them and you, there's a good chance that no-one in that conversation knew what they were talking about.
That would be unfortunate but from what you said about them, it may be true. Is all I wanted was for it to work. I followed read the manual, I followed the video instructions, I called support. It that really to much to ask for? Anyway, you will not have to put up with me much longer. Once I ship it back, there will be no reason to post here.

Last edited:
You sir are someone who cannot be pleased. Hope our paths never meet.

Wow, you know me so well, you know my heart and mind and that I cannot be pleased. Well if the unit would have worked, I would have been pleased. If support would have fixed the issue. I would have been pleased. But they told me I needed another phone. Perhaps you have the money to go out and buy another phone and 40 dollar a month access fee. That is just not in my budget.

1. The very point of USB C is that it is bidirectional and not subject to stress like micro USB. Have you stopped using your phone's charger?

2. I have used the DJI Go 4 (and the earlier DJI GO for the OSMO+) on Android 5.5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. DJI has updated the app constantly.

USB C is a step in the right direction but a few days ago, someone had a battery case with usbc somehow the inside was broken in the charge cable. I use a battery case as well. All the stress goes on the case. It is a cheap fix, replace the case instead of the phone. So in answer to your question. No I continue to use the charger, but I am not plugging it into the phone on a daily basis.
Glad DJI updates them, that is what is expected.

Wow, you know me so well, you know my heart and mind and that I cannot be pleased. Well if the unit would have worked, I would have been pleased. If support would have fixed the issue. I would have been pleased. But they told me I needed another phone. Perhaps you have the money to go out and buy another phone and 40 dollar a month access fee. That is just not in my budget.
I wonder if this was your first attempt at technology that failed you? I bet NOT.
You do not NEED a phone to fly any DJI aircraft. The phone only gives you a real time display of what the camera is seeing. (kind of helpful to see what you are taking photos or video of)
MAYBE you had a defective unit, its rare but not impossible.
You do NOT need a phone connected to cell service to use it as a display. You can buy an old iphone 6, and use it as is without even getting a sim card.
OF COURSE, this isnt news to you, because I saw where you said you read the manual and as you know, all of this is contained pretty close to the front of the manual.
I would encourage you to take a deep breath, spend less time looking for blame, and more time looking for the solution. You are missing out on a pretty cool drone experience!

Hey @r1ch, sorry to hear you had such frustrations. I agree with you in that I think DJI made a mistake not including a built-in display to run their software, with the option of plugging in your own if you wanted. It would have made everyone's life a lot easier in the long run. It is too bad you did not reach out to this forum earlier with your problems because there are a lot of folks here that genuinely like to help and they won't default to the "use another device" recommendation of DJI support.

Regarding a display device, I use an older Tab A (not on their list of approved devices) and after an initial struggle it has been working perfectly for well over a year.

USB C is a step in the right direction but a few days ago, someone had a battery case with usbc somehow the inside was broken in the charge cable. I use a battery case as well. All the stress goes on the case. It is a cheap fix, replace the case instead of the phone. So in answer to your question. No I continue to use the charger, but I am not plugging it into the phone on a daily basis.
Glad DJI updates them, that is what is expected.

It is amazing how on many people easily fly DJI products with out so much drama. Or use USB C cables.

Reactions: nd4wmike
After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device.
This is an example of how DJI phone support can give out non-information.
Your tablet works just fine for lots of users.
It has a very high satisfied user rating here: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help
There was probably nothing at all wrong with your Mavic (I can't tell because your description is too wordy and doesn't clearly tell what was really wrong).
It is likely that a little minor configuring would have solved your issues: Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) - Phantom Help

DJI sells Mavics in the millions.
They are the highest selling ready-to-fly drone and work exceptionally well.
You've run into technical difficulties and poor advice, made assumptions without appropriate knowledge or experience and joined dots that weren't even there.

We don’t need/want folks like yourself flying drones anyway. If you don’t have the patience to read and understand something new you should stick with whatever it is you are doing... I have owned over 8 drones... all dji... yes life is not perfect.... but dam freaking close... stay on the ground and stay off this site/forum. Your comments are not only stupid but not worth reading... I am upset I actually read your post. I can’t wait to go home tonight and fly my M2P at dusk... tomorrow I am going to buy a Mavic air just for an overseas vacation the family and I are taking. You sir are someone who cannot be pleased. Don’t blame dji... look in the mirror... or record yourself during a rant... I am sure you have many... the problem is you. Not the drone. Not dji. Not all of us who love our gear. Just you.
As i said... good luck with life. Hope our paths never meet.

You don't need/want logical, reasoning, educated, law abiding people flying drones? Ooohhhkaaaaay. My comments are stupid? Did you read what you wrote above, Your rant is not base on reason or logic, but completely on emotion. Are you a female?

Reactions: Qoncussion
What is your location? Maybe someone local could help?

@r1ch If you're still reading these I'm really sorry to hear about your issues. It sounds like some level of defective unit to me. Al little late for advice, but in case anyone else reads this...
I bought my DJI product though Amazon. That way, if there's a problem I have a no-hassle return policy and I don't have to deal with DJI. Mine came out okay in the end

Unfortunately, many of the things you're unhappy with (including the use of a phone) are necessary evils for what they're doing here: making a drone that just anyone can pick up and fly. They could have made a whole standalone package, but the cost would have been prohibitive to the very type of consumer they're after, namely the weekend warriors.

I've built a half dozen drones now, from tiny indoor micros, out to full size photography platforms, and I can tell you it's not for the average consumer. It's not bad once you get the hang of it, and hopefully find an online community to help you, but the learning curve is steep. I started out with a mavic pro and found it a little constraining, now that I build my own drones I have a much better appreciation of what DJI has achieved.

Forced updates, loss of dongle connection / phone issues, no-fly-zones, these are all a pain in the *** for sure, but it's easier than climbing the mountain to make your own aircraft from scratch.

Man was not built for flight. It's a hobby of patience and perseverance. DJI has tried to make it plug and play, but there's a great deal of elements stacked on each other to make the symphony play.

If you do care to try again take it slow, and if you want to build your own drone from scratch hit me up, it's worth every penny :) (no phone needed)

Funny how people assume you don't read the manual. Of course I read it. I also watched many videos on first set up.
Page 8, page 10, mavic 2 manual v1.0
Look for "Reserve Video-Downlink Port (USB)"

You said "a phone has many, many apps that can conflict. " My point exactly, a good reason not to use it as a dependency for the unit to work.

But that's your issue. The vast majority of phones are just fine... you are a rare person who's phone is having an issue. troubleshoot your issue, then the bird will fly just fine.

You said "on my production birdsa like the Inspire 2, i do not leave wifi on, i do not update them, and they stay exactly predictable and stable. "

As I said, if you are a professional, you will put up with things like this. You will have dedicated hardware. I multi boot my PC. I have boots that are dedicated to music/video production or gaming, or photography, so you don't have a lot of unnecessary background processes running. Which is why my opinion is DJI should not use the phone as a platform in which the system is needed.

Yes, I am a pro drone pilot, but what i described here does not require any sort of professional pilot accumen.. it's just basic maintenance. Like i said, your phone just happens to have a rare conflict. troubleshoot it. and to mitigate that, you can control the environment like i did.

You said"RE not being able to use a case, and the plug damaging your phone.. would this be a good time to bring up that you don't need to use a phone?"

Are you saying I do not need the phone to operate the drone? If that was the case why didn't support tell me that? I was under the impression it was required, it was needed to update the firmware and other functions. If the support people don't know this, how am I suppose to know this?

Your statement make me even more frustrated if it is true.

Page 8, page 10, mavic 2 manual v1.0
Look for "Reserve Video-Downlink Port (USB)"

if you are asking that support help you troubleshoot the phone, I can imagine why they wouldn't suggest you use another device... they were helping you fix the issue you brought to them. They did however pretty clearly from your post suggest another device:
"After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device.

Did you ask him what was supported when he suggested you use another device because your phone is hosed?

I bought one, a Mavic 2 zoom. After several days and multiple calls to support. I returned it. IT NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND!. Do Mavic 2's work? Obviously, and they get great footage people use them all the time. But after my experience I will tell you why I don't think people should buy them (but of course, free country, buy what you want, but also freedom of speech so I will tell you my opinion). I am going to assume that people with apple phones/devices have better results because if they had mine, DJI would be out of business, I cannot prove this but I think it is true. I bought my M2zoom and I downloaded the app and try to sign up, error, no connected network. Didn't work, called support, they said try using the web site. I had other problems with app but eventually got to the point I could turn on the drone and controller. Connecting, error mag interf check app. Called support again. I had at that point reinstalled the app 4 times afer first suggestion from support. I searched the web DJI Mavic Pro "Mag Interference-Check App" problem still no solution. After being on the phone, the support guy says. You have to use another device. I told him. My Samsung Note 8 is supported according to your website. He said we cannot move forward without another device. My phone controls my other photographic equipment fine, some are free apps.

To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. I know there are people who don't know what they are doing, and there are going to be some defective units. There will always be problems, BUT, are they reasonable and fairly infrequent? If there are too many or it is so complicated the average person cannot resolve issues, then it is not a good product.

So my problem with the Mavic 2. First it requires a phone. I thought this was good because it would lower the cost of the unit. But it is really bad. If you don't have a phone, you have a brick. DJI has to upgrade apps for both Apple and Android, I am betting Apple gets the higher priority. If the company is slow to upgrade, you have problems/brick/crashed unit. I had to take my phone out of the safety of its case possible damage to a thousand dollar phone. I had to risk damaging the usbC port every time I wanted to fly, the port connector on the side of the holder is of poor design putting undue stress on your phones port. Now back to the phone software. Android updates can break apps. If you have this drone 5 years from now will DJI still update the app? if not you have a brick. A new phone and version can come out and may be incompatible. You are adding another set of variables to an already complex set of firmware updates and app updates.

So after having problems I start looking on the web for solutions. I see tons of problems. You cannot fly your drone without firmware updates. If you go to location where there is no cell service, and you need an update you are out of luck. Basically, you own a brick, and if you have the right phone, the right phone os version, DJI has update the app like it is suppose to, you have the latest firmware for the controller, drone and battery, you are in the right location to fly, the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars, you have a working drone instead of a brick. You drop your phone trying to connect it to the controller and break it, you have a brick again, your phone gets wet, your phone battery dies, your usb port gets damaged, you get a magnetic interference check app error, the dog eats your phone. You have a brick.

DJI should have made a drone that works by itself, no phone, no bricking the unit if a new firmware update comes out. The phone should only add a nicer display, or perhaps some addition feature. But adding the phone and a host rather a huge number of other variable which are potential problems is a bad idea in my opinion. That is why I returned the unit.

Who is the audience for this unit? If it is professionals, then they might put up with all the issues and complex interdependencies. But it seems to me they are aiming this drone at the average guy, perhaps someone who has more money than they should and the extra income to buy a new toy. Well I can tell you right now, if the app is not perfect, the registration process works easily, the startup and update is process less than 15 mins DJI is going to have a lot of returns this Christmas. The drone should fly right out of the box with little fuss. If not this is not a product for the masses and DJI should include the information I posted above to discourage joe average from buying this drone or there are going to be a million factory refurbished Mavic 2's out there.. like mine. If I would have read a post like this one explaining the problems and complex interdependences and the possibilities I would have never bought one. I know this for a fact. I bought a Ford F350 diesel back in 2004. That year the messed up the firmware updates over and over again, because the firmware on the turbo, fuel injection, transmission, and monitoring systems were dependent on each other. Ford bought that truck back from me and thousand of new ford truck owner (read it on the web) and now I will never own another one again. Just like DJI.

Could you just "Cut To The Chase" my ADD is kicking in
are you having Problems with your new Mavic Pro 2.?

You do know the 3 is around the corner SOooooo.....
.cR

I think you've completely missed the point about these drones. If you want a drone that doesn't require a screen or phone, get s $45 drone or built a racing one. For you to advice people not to buy a drone with requires a phone is one of the sillies thing to say. Like telling people to buy a dumb phone that only make phone calls, cos screens can crack and iOS/Android is buggy.
1. It's used for photography - How do you expect to frame a shot, without a screen? How do you select photo/video formats?
2. It transmits telemetry data and flight logs. Very useful stuff is all I can say.
3. It's compact. It can fit into a small bag and can be carried around easily. Considering most people now have a smartphone or tablet, it's making use of what people already have, instead selling a bulky remote with built-in screen. It'll cost more too.

Just because you had a bad experience with what might be a defective drone, it doesn't mean you should give bad advice.

"To preface this. I did my research. I thought I was getting a good drone. Many good comments and reviews. "
Then
"After I could not get the unit up and running, I started searching and I found all the problems and bad stuff. I am not an idiot. "

Ok... I delayed my purchase for a short while because DJI is known for its bad customer service, which I hear is improving. I am curious to know which search engines you were using in your two different research expeditions?

Look, if he returned the drone then it's all a moot point, and I'm sorry for the bad experience. If anyone else were to read this in the future, my advice would be to come here for help BEFORE giving up. The DJI help line is getting paid to help you. I'm helping because I ******* love this ****. The difference should be obvious.

The online community is strong, and having dealt with setbacks and misfortune ourselves, we're sympathetic. I hope that people come here before they give up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23