DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wi-Fi extenders

Darend

Reactions
Hi was thinking about buying some Wi-Fi extenders does anyone know if they work and which ones are the best thanks ?

Here is what I got, from what I understand this is a pretty simple deal and they all work about the same, which is actually pretty well.

I also REALLY recommend a sun shield, I think it's more of a must-have than the wifi extender.

Zombie cutter, how much do those reflectors interfere with operating the home button etc.? Thanks

I have recently stumbled upon this video on youtube where the guys went to compare homemade parabolic reflector, off-the-shelf parabolic reflector and then a yagi uda antenna.

So far, Im leaning towards the yagi uda antenna mod as it is relatively cheap and actually provide range boost

EDIT: corrected the spelling for the yagi antennas

Last edited:
Reactions: TeroFin
The Yagi-Uda's is way more effective then the parabolic ones ... below distance tests with a Mavic Air1 (same enhanced WiFi as the Mini).

1590131044039.png

The 4007 meter run with 6.6m/s outgoing headwind on height

The 2639 meter run with 12-13m/s side wind on height

The Yagi-Uda's is way more effective then the parabolic ones ... below distance tests with a Mavic Air1 (same enhanced WiFi as the Mini).
It is possible that you are wrong.
I'll try to explain why.
Following expression is for parabolic deflectors gain calculation.

parabolic_antenna_gain.PNG

Look at this picture. Lambda is a wavelength. And it is equal 52 mm for 5.8 GHz and about 125 mm for 2.4 GHz. Parabolic deflectors shown in video from the previous post has D=73 mm and depth 17 mm. Moreover it has invalid focal point. Calculated focal point is about 19,5 but in fact it is about 22 mm. Actually I don't sure that it is really parabolic.
So Gain for 2.4 GHz is about 2.27 dB but for the 5.8 GHz it is about 9,93 dB (Yagi-Udo gain is the same or it is closer). This parabolic deflector is not increase much distance on 2.4 GHz because it's made for 5.8 only. It is harder to calculate Yagi-Udo parameters instead of parabolic deflectors and Yagi-udo is more sensitive for invalid sizes. It makes me think that yagi-udo can't give you calculated gain in a real life.
I checked yagi and deflectors on FCC and I didn't think yagi is better. Other guy agreed with me (he has 5.8 FCC too).
And everything written above is a real reason for the different results you can find on youtube and other sites. And I think that parabolic deflectors are easiest for printing and calculating.
Online calculator for parabolic deflectors
parabola2 is the program I used for calculating. It is the same as online calculator but gives you more dimensions you can use for 3D modeling.

Attachments

• parabola2.zip
    136.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
It is possible that you are wrong.
I'll try to explain why.
Following expression is for parabolic deflectors gain calculation.

parabolic_antenna_gain.PNG

Look at this picture. Lambda is a wavelength. And it is equal 52 mm for 5.8 GHz and about 125 mm for 2.4 GHz. Parabolic deflectors shown in your video has D=73 mm and depth 17 mm. Moreover it has invalid focal point. Calculated focal point is about 19,5 but in fact it is about 22 mm. Actually I don't sure that it is really parabolic.
So Gain for 2.4 GHz is about 2.27 dB but for the 5.8 GHz it is about 9,93 dB (Yagi-Udo gain is the same or it is closer). This parabolic deflector is not increase much distance on 2.4 GHz because it's made for 5.8 only. It is harder to calculate Yagi-Udo parameters instead of parabolic deflectors and Yagi-udo is more sensitive for invalid sizes. It makes me think that yagi-udo can't give you calculated gain in a real life.
I checked yagi and deflectors on FCC and I didn't think yagi is better. Other guy agreed with me (he has 5.8 FCC too).
And everything written above is a real reason for the different results you can find on youtube and other sites. And I think that parabolic deflectors are easiest for printing and calculating.
Online calculator for parabolic deflectors
parabola2 is the program I used for calculating. It is the same as online calculator but gives you more dimensions you can use for 3D modeling.
Don't really understand what you mean by "Parabolic deflectors shown in your video..." I doesn't show any. The 2 vids in my post is one from flying with the pure standard RC & one flight from using the Yagi for 2,4GHz ... are you sure you are quoting the right post?

Besides that ... have both the parabolic and the Yagis (for both 2,4 & 5,8GHz) & in real flights the Yagis clearly outperforms the Parabolic ones.

Don't really understand what you mean by "Parabolic deflectors shown in your video..." I doesn't show any. The 2 vids in my post is one from flying with the pure standard RC & one flight from using the Yagi for 2,4GHz ... are you sure you are quoting the right post?

Besides that ... have both the parabolic and the Yagis (for both 2,4 & 5,8GHz) & in real flights the Yagis clearly outperforms the Parabolic ones.
My bad, I said that about reflectors shown in video from the previous post.
What kind of parabolic do you have? That expression tell me that this parabolic is made only for 5.8 but it was made with some errors I described earlier.
Do you have video of comparing reflectors with Yagi on 5.8 Ghz?
Tomorrow I'll try to compare Yagi 5.8, SunnyLIfe reflectors and my DIY deflectors.

Last edited:
What if one combines (uses both at the same time) parabolic reflector with Yagi (for 5.8). Would that improve the gain even more?

Microwaves is a delicate thing ... it's easy to end up with 0 gain as different solutions take each other out, & if you're unlucky you could actually damage your transmitter.

What if one combines (uses both at the same time) parabolic reflector with Yagi (for 5.8). Would that improve the gain even more?
There is a model on thingiverse for this, it looks ugly and I don't think it works well. Frankenstein
The first thing I should to draw your attention it has deflector that can't works well with 2.4. I described why in my previous post.

It should not improve the gain - no ... A Parabolic reflector takes RF energy that is bypassing the antenna and reflects it back onto the dipole from behind. A Yagi uses a reflecting element at the rear to push the RF Energy forward and give it gain toward the front at a cost of attenuating the signal from the rear. You'd have to try it to be 100% sure, but I'd expect that the combination of the two would actually perform about the same as having no 'enhancement' on the controller's antennae.

I have a FCC version so use 5.8 only. I use a parabolic reflector with a good result. I've never used yagi.
Parabolic reflectors works great even it has some invalid dimensions. I turned back power of the transmitter into limited FCC and I will compare reflectors with yagi and DIY reflectors calculated with program. Yesterday it was windy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes