DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wide angle lens filter - very blur image

I am sorry but I have to disagree on this response. Generally you would be absolutely correct and I agree 100%. I am one that will always spend money buying quality and paying for it. But for this, I dont believe this is the case.

I spent the last 3 years living in China as a expat working for a US company. I became very familiar with how things are manufactured, marketed, copied, and sold there. With regard to Ulanzi versus DJI, here is my take on it for whatever its worth.

I purchase the Ulanzi and am both please with the performance and build. As I found in China, many products are sourced from the same supplier. Just like LED tvs today, you have many many different brands, but almost all screens come from Samsung and a few other suppliers that then rebrand them. The glass of the Ulanzi and the DJI I would predict come from the same manufacturer. Why the price difference? Because DJI is a well known brand and can get away with a 300% percent or higher markup. Their main bread and butter is high end hardware such as drones and camera gimbals, etc. Not the accessories. So they will put a incredible mark up on the accessories to make it worth selling them them. Ulanzi only sell accessories and probably have a higher volume of buying from these type of suppliers. They also do not mark up as high as a DJI as they would rather have higher turn over to make the profit that higher markup selling fewer. Like I said, if I was a betting man, I would bet the glass in both the DJI and Ulanzi come from the same manufacturer. Just a feeling I have is all based on real world learnings living in China.
Why do they all weigh different amounts? Ulanzi weighs 12g, DJI 13g, Freewell 14.1g. looking at the weights I'd say Ulanzi has the least amount of glass or the housing was trimmed down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont believe this is the case
It is possible that the lens in the op’s possession is just a defective product.
With your description of the Ulanzi lens in your possession, a comparison picture
from your lens may shed some light on this discussion.
A picture is worth a thousand words?

It is possible that the lens in the op’s possession is just a defective product.
With your description of the Ulanzi lens in your possession, a comparison picture
from your lens may shed some light on this discussion.
A picture is worth a thousand words?
I put a photo on the forum a few posts ago, please check. The distortion is extreme. I took the photo with f2.8

Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if it’s defective and if they will replace it?

Reactions: Darkabaz
It might be difficult to see night shots but these are ones I took last night. I have zoomed in on my photo editor and cannot see any visible distortion with the wide angle lens. And video looks just as stunning.

Without wide angle lens:
F7FA5933-A816-4EA0-AE02-DF741C1E2076.jpeg

With Ulanzi Wide angle lens:
04FF2FA8-7D49-4E3E-A777-E7651AA19C61.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B5CC320-C1DE-44B3-84A5-066A0D5FCE09.jpeg
    7B5CC320-C1DE-44B3-84A5-066A0D5FCE09.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 83697B88-27F7-4199-87EB-4484518B96B3.jpeg
    83697B88-27F7-4199-87EB-4484518B96B3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
May be helpful to create a picture similar to what the op has posted.
Daylight and a rear and or front yard scene.

It might be difficult to see night shots but these are ones I took last night. I have zoomed in on my photo editor and cannot see any visible distortion with the wide angle lens. And video looks just as stunning.

Without wide angle lens:
View attachment 157393

View attachment 157396
Thanks for this! Please take one in daylight.
And send me your further info such as aperture? Thnx.
And beside of that, my format was 4:3. Maybe a difference.
Otherwise its very strange, i got a replacement before and this is the second one with exactly the same distortion.

Did you toggle something on or off in menu? Hmmz..

Last edited:

Without wide angle lens:
View attachment 157393

View attachment 157396
Just to be sure. Could you please check on the side of your gimbal when mounted the wide angle lens? I see a little bit space between filter and gimball. Not sure if this is normal or not....

Attachments

• 20221122_183612.jpg
    20221122_183612.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Pictures show DJI stock lens and DJI wide angle.
Very little gap on either one. Sorry, I don’t have the Ulanzi for comparison.637090B4-A95C-4A74-9C54-D40F06E6C6E8.jpeg5CB94808-3DC8-4ABB-A817-341DF2ED9170.jpeg

Reactions: Darkabaz
Yes you are right, but for video it is not possible to merge shots together to get an wider view...
That is true, however, if you are getting acceptable results from the inner portions of your wide-angle attachment and the area showing is wider than without that wide angle attachment, then simply crop the footage you have to get rid of the questionable areas that are soft or out of focus. Sometimes wide-angle lenses give you too much area, so cropping is not a problem.

One of my favorite video/drone/photo bloggers posted the same thing on his review of the freewell lenses.

I don’t think this is a “you get what you pay for” and it’s probably a stupid saying. Are you saying unless he buys the most expensive he shouldn’t expect good quality? Is that to say something more expensive is naturally better?
In many cases that is exactly the case, if less expensive items performed as well as better engineered, better manufactured products, very few would bother with the higher quality more expensive products. So yes, you generally have reason to expect better performance when you spend more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan