DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wide panorama problem

juakola

Reactions
For some reason if I shoot wide panoramas, the gimbal is tilted when taking the photos from the sides. The DJI .jpg stitching is superb, but I want to stitch my panoramas from .RAW, which results in a seriously curved horizon at least when done in Lightroom. This problem does not occur if I shoot 180 or 360 panoramas, those .RAW's are all with a straigth horizon.

The original Mavic Air didn't shoot tilted photos with the wide, they were all straight and the stitching was easy.

Any fix on this?

For some reason if I shoot wide panoramas, the gimbal is tilted when taking the photos from the sides. The DJI .jpg stitching is superb, but I want to stitch my panoramas from .RAW, which results in a seriously curved horizon at least when done in Lightroom. This problem does not occur if I shoot 180 or 360 panoramas, those .RAW's are all with a straigth horizon.

The original Mavic Air didn't shoot tilted photos with the wide, they were all straight and the stitching was easy.

Any fix on this?
What type of wide panorama are you shooting that isn't 180°? You can certainly crop the stitched 180° pano into any other wide pano of a narrower field of view.

What type of wide panorama are you shooting that isn't 180°? You can certainly crop the stitched 180° pano into any other wide pano of a narrower field of view.
There is the wide option, which I would like the most, the wide option takes only 9 pictures. And that one the drone shoots partly with seriously tilted horizons.

For the time being I have used 180 panorama and cropped it. But that takes more time and space when shooting because it is 21 photos total.

There is the wide option, which I would like the most, the wide option takes only 9 pictures. And that one the drone shoots partly with seriously tilted horizons.

For the time being I have used 180 panorama and cropped it. But that takes more time and space when shooting because it is 21 photos total.
That's a 3 by 3 matrix shot while the 180° should be only 18 shots vs. the 26 shots of the 360°, so you are throwing away half the 180° images. Time wise, the 360° takes 60 seconds, so the 180° should only take 40 seconds. The 9 image matrix is likely 20 seconds, so it takes 20 seconds more, but you have far more choices on cropping later. I suspect there is a bug in the 3x3 wide shot matrix, but you have a solid workaround in the meantime! There is also a new 1.1.3 iOS version of Fly. Install it and test it again.

Reactions: juakola
Any fix on this?
Long panoramas can suffer from distortion and require extra effort.
There are several different ways to stitch panoramas.
Lightroom is good for lots of things but it's not a great stitching program.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Long panoramas can suffer from distortion and require extra effort.
There are several different ways to stitch panoramas.
Lightroom is good for lots of things but it's not a great stitching program.
I know but 3x3 isn't a long panorama, and the problem is not actually not the stitching but the gimbal which takes some of the pictures extremely tilted. My old Mavic Air shot only straight individual shots.

I know but 3x3 isn't a long panorama, and the problem is not actually not the stitching but the gimbal which takes some of the pictures extremely tilted. My old Mavic Air shot only straight individual shots.
It would be odd for the camera to tilt shooting a panorama.
Can you show thumbnails of the images and the stitched result?

New here, but came across this post because I was having the same issue. Flying a Mavic Air 2, what I noticed is if I take the wide shot, the gimbal needs to start even with the horizon (0 pitch). That's the only way I could get the photos stitched together without a curve (tried LR and PS). If the gimbal is not at 0 pitch, it will for some reason take the left and right shots at an angle. I have attached a couple of the images that show the angled shot resulting in a curved photo. I also attached the same stitched photo with a straight horizon.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch, or done on purpose. I'm still learning as I go, so there may be a reason for it????

Attachments

• curved-1.jpg
    curved-1.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 24
  • curved-2.jpg
    curved-2.jpg
    822.6 KB · Views: 23
  • curved.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • notcurved-1.jpg
    notcurved-1.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 21
  • notcurved-2.jpg
    notcurved-2.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 21
  • not curved.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: juakola
New here, but came across this post because I was having the same issue. Flying a Mavic Air 2, what I noticed is if I take the wide shot, the gimbal needs to start even with the horizon (0 pitch). That's the only way I could get the photos stitched together without a curve (tried LR and PS). If the gimbal is not at 0 pitch, it will for some reason take the left and right shots at an angle. I have attached a couple of the images that show the angled shot resulting in a curved photo. I also attached the same stitched photo with a straight horizon.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch, or done on purpose. I'm still learning as I go, so there may be a reason for it????

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue when taking panorama pictures with my MA2.

I opened a ticket on DJI to check it trhough email and I'm waitiing for the response.

It seems that the gimbal is not aligned with the horizon on the sides of panorama

I've never had this issue, but I shoot manual panos so I don't know really.

If you drag your finger around on the screen to move the gimbal, does it rotate at the same time?

Are you possibly in FPV mode instead of FOLLOW (don't know how or if this would affect it)?

Have you done a gimbal calibration?

I've never had this issue, but I shoot manual panos so I don't know really.

If you drag your finger around on the screen to move the gimbal, does it rotate at the same time?

Are you possibly in FPV mode instead of FOLLOW (don't know how or if this would affect it)?

Have you done a gimbal calibration?

Hi,

It only happens when taking panoramas.

The drone is not on FPV mode, although the Gimbal Movement is really similar.

This link to screen recording video shows the issue.

Screen_Recording_20200815-095612.mp4

The gimbal was calibrated before taking this pictures and it was not a windy day.

Draging the finger arround the screen maintains the Gimbal Aligned with the horizon, it is only happening on the panoramic photos mode when the drone moves to the sides.

Hi,

It only happens when taking panoramas.

The drone is not on FPV mode, although the Gimbal Movement is really similar.

This link to screen recording video shows the issue.

Screen_Recording_20200815-095612.mp4

The gimbal was calibrated before taking this pictures and it was not a windy day.

Draging the finger arround the screen maintains the Gimbal Aligned with the horizon, it is only happening on the panoramic photos mode when the drone moves to the sides.
Have you tried reinstalling FW, maybe using DJI Assistant for Mavic Drones.

It's reading like a FW issue to me.

Okay wait... It's not FOLLOW vs FPV, but hang on... There is another gimbal setting I think, I have to look back a few days to this other discussion I was having, but I know there is another setting that might be the problem.

Hey Guys, Bad news..

The issue reported needs to be fixed, as DJI support reply below:

DJI Support (DJI Support)

2020年8月21日 GMT+8 下午5:33

Hi Marcio,

Thanks for your patience.

I have communicated with the senior team regarding this issue. It seems that the gimbal has not acted normally. Therefore, you are advised to send the product back to us for repair. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Since DJI has repair centers in different regions, may you please provide the information below so we can further assist?

Hey Guys, Bad news..

The issue reported needs to be fixed, as DJI support reply below:
If you are not having any other issues, use the 360° Pano instead, and save yourself the hassle of sending it in. They might just tell you it is working as intended, or it may be something that gets fixed in a future FW update. With all the new DJI cutbacks, it may be forever before you get a drone back!

Any fix on this?
I get the same thing with the MM2. I guess the answer is too see what happens with the firmware; and do mainly manual panoramas in the meantime. BTW, this only happens with the 9 shot Pano. The 7 shot "Extrawide" is fine

I get the same thing with the MM2. I guess the answer is too see what happens with the firmware; and do mainly manual panoramas in the meantime. BTW, this only happens with the 9 shot Pano. The 7 shot "Extrawide" is fine
I have found the iOS app Ultralight useful to straighten curved panoramas from my MM2: not perfect but you can drag on the image in any direction to (mostly) remove the curve

Did someone managed to solve this issue without returning it? I am having the same problem !

What is surprising is that the JPEG generated is fine. Looks like the built-in software is able to correct that tilt, but Lightroom isn't able with the RAW files!

Hi,

After sending some emails to DJI Support, they told me that this is not an Issue.

The Wide Angle mode simulates Wide Angle lenses. That's why this strange Gimbal behavior occurs.

It sounds strange, but makes sense, because it do not occurs on the other larger panoramic modes like the 180 degree. If it was a hardware issue it should also affects the other panoramic modes.

Regards,
Marcio

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580