Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Wide panorama problem

juakola

Reaction score
For some reason if I shoot wide panoramas, the gimbal is tilted when taking the photos from the sides. The DJI .jpg stitching is superb, but I want to stitch my panoramas from .RAW, which results in a seriously curved horizon at least when done in Lightroom. This problem does not occur if I shoot 180 or 360 panoramas, those .RAW's are all with a straigth horizon.

The original Mavic Air didn't shoot tilted photos with the wide, they were all straight and the stitching was easy.

Any fix on this?

GadgetGuy

Reaction score
For some reason if I shoot wide panoramas, the gimbal is tilted when taking the photos from the sides. The DJI .jpg stitching is superb, but I want to stitch my panoramas from .RAW, which results in a seriously curved horizon at least when done in Lightroom. This problem does not occur if I shoot 180 or 360 panoramas, those .RAW's are all with a straigth horizon.

The original Mavic Air didn't shoot tilted photos with the wide, they were all straight and the stitching was easy.

Any fix on this?
What type of wide panorama are you shooting that isn't 180°? You can certainly crop the stitched 180° pano into any other wide pano of a narrower field of view.

juakola

Reaction score
What type of wide panorama are you shooting that isn't 180°? You can certainly crop the stitched 180° pano into any other wide pano of a narrower field of view.
There is the wide option, which I would like the most, the wide option takes only 9 pictures. And that one the drone shoots partly with seriously tilted horizons.

For the time being I have used 180 panorama and cropped it. But that takes more time and space when shooting because it is 21 photos total.

GadgetGuy

Reaction score
There is the wide option, which I would like the most, the wide option takes only 9 pictures. And that one the drone shoots partly with seriously tilted horizons.

For the time being I have used 180 panorama and cropped it. But that takes more time and space when shooting because it is 21 photos total.
That's a 3 by 3 matrix shot while the 180° should be only 18 shots vs. the 26 shots of the 360°, so you are throwing away half the 180° images. Time wise, the 360° takes 60 seconds, so the 180° should only take 40 seconds. The 9 image matrix is likely 20 seconds, so it takes 20 seconds more, but you have far more choices on cropping later. I suspect there is a bug in the 3x3 wide shot matrix, but you have a solid workaround in the meantime! There is also a new 1.1.3 iOS version of Fly. Install it and test it again.

Reactions: juakola

Meta4

Reaction score
Any fix on this?
Long panoramas can suffer from distortion and require extra effort.
There are several different ways to stitch panoramas.
Lightroom is good for lots of things but it's not a great stitching program.

juakola

Reaction score
Long panoramas can suffer from distortion and require extra effort.
There are several different ways to stitch panoramas.
Lightroom is good for lots of things but it's not a great stitching program.
I know but 3x3 isn't a long panorama, and the problem is not actually not the stitching but the gimbal which takes some of the pictures extremely tilted. My old Mavic Air shot only straight individual shots.

Meta4

Reaction score
I know but 3x3 isn't a long panorama, and the problem is not actually not the stitching but the gimbal which takes some of the pictures extremely tilted. My old Mavic Air shot only straight individual shots.
It would be odd for the camera to tilt shooting a panorama.
Can you show thumbnails of the images and the stitched result?

jareda17

Reaction score
New here, but came across this post because I was having the same issue. Flying a Mavic Air 2, what I noticed is if I take the wide shot, the gimbal needs to start even with the horizon (0 pitch). That's the only way I could get the photos stitched together without a curve (tried LR and PS). If the gimbal is not at 0 pitch, it will for some reason take the left and right shots at an angle. I have attached a couple of the images that show the angled shot resulting in a curved photo. I also attached the same stitched photo with a straight horizon.

I'm not sure if this is a glitch, or done on purpose. I'm still learning as I go, so there may be a reason for it????

Attachments

Reactions: juakola