DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi / GPS Newbie Questions?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi,
I plan on purchasing the Mavic Air or the upcoming Mavic Pro 2. Please correct me if I'm wrong....... After reading throughout many posts it appears that the controller itself has built in GPS which does not require an IOS device with WiFi + Cellular.
If not using the controller and using just an IOS device with DJI 4 app, WiFi + Cellular is needed which would need a data plan.
I currently have an Apple iPad Air 2 WiFi (no cellular). I believe DJI states that this iPad would work if the aforementioned is true. I am also looking at the Apple iPad Pro WiFi (no cellular) as a replacement of my iPad Air 2.
Are there any good explanations in regards to using and/or not using certain connections? I know I sound quite oblivious....... and I am........ LOL. Any suggestions along with your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Ray :)

After reading throughout many posts it appears that the controller itself has built in GPS which does not require an IOS device with WiFi + Cellular.
I'm not sure about the MP2 remote controller, but the Mavic Air remote controller does not contain a GPS receiver.

Are there any good explanations in regards to using and/or not using certain connections?
If flying a Mavic Air, you'll need GPS on your mobile device in order to reset the home point to your current location. That would be useful if you're ever in a situation where you move away from the original home point after taking off (like when flying from a moving boat). All other GPS related functions (e.g. RTH) use data from the GPS receiver in the Mavic Air.

If using an Apple device, you'll need a cellular model if you want GPS on your mobile device. That GPS receiver will be active even if the cellular service is not activated.

Cellular service can be used for features that require an active Internet connection (like downloading maps in real-time). A Wi-Fi only device will work just fine though if you don't need to use those features. If using a Wi-Fi only mobile device, you could connect it to a mobile phone hotspot to share the Internet connection.

I'm not sure about the MP2 remote controller, but the Mavic Air remote controller does not contain a GPS receiver.

Thanks for all the great info..... Let me see if I have this straight;
The Mavic Air GPS signal comes from the Mavic Air itself and not from the controller therefore, cellular/gps is not needed on my iPad. In this situation the RC is communicating through the DJI app on my iPad.

If flying a Mavic Air, you'll need GPS on your mobile device in order to reset the home point to your current location. That would be useful if you're ever in a situation where you move away from the original home point after taking off (like when flying from a moving boat). All other GPS related functions (e.g. RTH) use data from the GPS receiver in the Mavic Air.
If using an Apple device, you'll need a cellular model if you want GPS on your mobile device. That GPS receiver will be active even if the cellular service is not activated.
Does this mean that I can change RTH without having a data plan on my iPad? I don't have a data plan on my iPad but, I certainly can use my iPhone as a hotspot as you stated below.

Cellular service can be used for features that require an active Internet connection (like downloading maps in real-time). A Wi-Fi only device will work just fine though if you don't need to use those features. If using a Wi-Fi only mobile device, you could connect it to a mobile phone hotspot to share the Internet connection.
In either case, I would have a live map?

Also, would I be right to assume that all these answers fall in line with all of the DJI drones?
Thanks again for taking the time in explaining what is and what isn't needed. I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

The Mavic Air GPS signal comes from the Mavic Air itself and not from the controller therefore, cellular/gps is not needed on my iPad.
GPS is only needed on your iPad if you want to be able to reset the home point to your current location.

Does this mean that I can change RTH without having a data plan on my iPad?
What exactly do you mean by "change RTH"?

In either case, I would have a live map?
You'll only have a live map if you cache the maps ahead of time in a location where you have an Internet connection or if your mobile device is connected to the Internet while you're flying.

Also, would I be right to assume that all these answers fall in line with all of the DJI drones?
Some DJI drones also have the Follow Me flight mode. That flight mode also requires GPS on the mobile device.

GPS is only needed on your iPad if you want to be able to reset the home point to your current location.
What exactly do you mean by "change RTH"?

Sorry that I wasn't clear...... I was referring to what you stated (below in bold). It appears that when I update to a new Apple iPad that I should get one that has cellular. Please correct me if I'm wrong, are you stating that I can use the GPS on a Apple iPad with cellular without having a service plan? If this is the case, I would be able to change my RTH as in your example of a moving boat.
I thank you for taking the time in helping me understand what I should have in different situations. I'm one to believe that you should have all the bases covered for any given situation. Thanks again, Ray

I was under the impression that you had to have a service plan on an Apple iPad with cellular
The cellular plan is really unrelated. The reason you need a cellular model is because only cellular models contain a GPS receiver.

Awesome...... It's great to know that I wouldn't need to fork out any money for a monthly service plan. As I stated in my OP, I am looking at the Apple iPad Pro. Now I'm leaning towards the Cellular version simply due to the GPS capability. Are there any other good reasons for having the GPS capability on the iPad for drone use? Thanks again, Ray

Are there any other good reasons for having the GPS capability on the iPad for drone use?
Like I stated above, it can only be used to reset the home point to your current location. I cannot imagine most people are actually using that feature.

Like I stated above, it can only be used to reset the home point to your current location. I cannot imagine most people are actually using that feature.
I do own a 24' boat and it would be awesome to take off and/or land from it but, due to never owning a drone I would probably be a little nervous doing so. I'm sure after I get some experience with the drone, it wouldn't be as bad as I think. I'll have to re-think the Apple iPad w/ cellular since the only good use would be changing the RTH feature. It appears that when using modes such as Active Track, QuickShots, APAS, Gesture, etc. you would more than likely land the drone manually. I'll have to weigh this along with what other uses I would want an iPad w/ cellular, other than drone use. Thanks for enlightening me along with making me less oblivious to what is needed and not needed. You've been a great help. Ray :)

I fly my Mavic Air using a hotspot on my Galaxy S7 edge. I use my Galaxy S5 that doesn't have a service plan as a monitor. It works well. Never lost connection so far.

I fly my Mavic Air using a hotspot on my Galaxy S7 edge. I use my Galaxy S5 that doesn't have a service plan as a monitor. It works well. Never lost connection so far.
Awesome! That's great to know....... Thanks for the feedback. Ray Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead