DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb Question

pnwbikerboi

Reactions
If I was to get an Apple IPAD that does not have cellular, am i able to have all the features of using a cellular device with the DJI app?

Yes, though you may have to load maps, if you want them, before you go somewhere with out wifi. I don't use maps so it isn't something that bothers me.
It might also be an idea to check that you are logged into the app whilst you have wifi and DO NOT log out when you close the app.

If I was to get an Apple IPAD that does not have cellular, am i able to have all the features of using a cellular device with the DJI app?
You can always use your phone as a hotspot. Then your iPad will be connected to a network if you need maps or firmware updates.

Reactions: Matrix64
am i able to have all the features of using a cellular device with the DJI app?
You would be able to use all features that do not require an Internet connection. There are no Internet connected features that are required in order to fly.

If you want to see what will or won't work, put your cellular device in airplane mode. That'll reproduce a scenario where your mobile device is not connected to the Internet.

I read that the ipad without cellular will lack some motion capabilities...
The drone has gps to navigate and the ipad needs unactivated cellular service
to do the same when the operator changes location. A wifi only ipad does not have gps.

I read that the ipad without cellular will lack some motion capabilities...
The drone has gps to navigate and the ipad needs unactivated cellular service
to do the same when the operator changes location. A wifi only ipad does not have gps.
You mean that you would need a GPS enabled tablet to reset the homepoint to the location of the controller.
That's a feature that most flyers never need.

Was using an iPad (cellular model without SIM) and only ran into an issue twice where I had to create a fresh mapping flight plan in MPP. Obviously there was no internet so I had to use my phone instead for that particular set of flights. Recently added a SIM card to the iPad and it has been quite valuable ($50 + $15/mo. through Cricket). So can you use a non-cellular iPad to fly? Absolutely. If you are looking to purchase an iPad for this purpose definitely spring for the cellular model and add a data plan when you can. If it is a choice between a newer model without cell data or an older model with, choose the cellular model. For my budget I found an iPad Air 3/w/cell fit the bill, has the same processor as my phone, and runs the FLY app without hiccups. The safety advantage of being able to see more details when flying in tight spots has been huge. The ability to update app data in the field is really important if you're flying any type of mapping or automated missions, though not 100% needed. The only downside has been to remember to activate Do Not Disturb before flying so notifications don't come in when airborne.

Dynamic home point is worthwhile to have. If you wind up downwind, low on battery, and forget to reset your home point before initiating RTH (provided you have moved away from your original home point - hopefully not upwind) then that might mean the difference between a safe landing and a lost drone. Having GPS on your control device is an extra level of safety. You don't "need" it to fly NOW but the extra expense of a cellular enabled device is cheap insurance over the life of the device/drone, and will be RID compliant later in 2023. You may not need dynamic home points now but the scope of your missions can and will grow. Be ready for it. Any tablet without GPS/internet connection is crippled if you need to use it in the field.....which is exactly where drones operate.

the extra expense of a cellular enabled device is cheap insurance over the life of the device/drone ... Any tablet without GPS/internet connection is crippled if you need to use it in the field.....which is exactly where drones operate.
Except for one or two odd exceptions, all Android tablets have GPS.
It's only Apple that only fit GPS receivers to cellular capable tablets.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661