DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi Only iPad Mini 5

Dave Willis

Reactions
I'm flying my MA2 with a WiFi Only iPad Mini 5. I have a couple Questions.
1) I will have No GPS , Correct ?
2) Will there be Apps that will not work due to not having GPS ?
3) Does an iPad WiFi /Cellular need to have a cellular plan to be able to utilize GPS ?
4) Can a WiFi iPad have GPS Added ?
5) What will I be missing not having GPS ?
6) What are the Disadvantages of not having GPS ?
7) Is GPS a Necessity ?
7) What will I Not be able to do by not having GPS ?

Thanks.....Dave

Pretty sure you just won't have accurate map in the app. The drone will still have gps so it will still display its location and home point on your map provided you have data or cache just not the tablets location accurately.

I'm flying my MA2 with a WiFi Only iPad Mini 5. I have a couple Questions.
1) I will have No GPS , Correct ?
2) Will there be Apps that will not work due to not having GPS ?
3) Does an iPad WiFi /Cellular need to have a cellular plan to be able to utilize GPS ?
4) Can a WiFi iPad have GPS Added ?
5) What will I be missing not having GPS ?
6) What are the Disadvantages of not having GPS ?
7) Is GPS a Necessity ?
7) What will I Not be able to do by not having GPS ?

Thanks.....Dave
Just download maps to wifi only ipad and you are set to go, You have GPS via the controller.

I have the wifi only iPad Mini 5 and have GPS just fine. I never pay attention to the map so I am not affected by that.

Just download maps to wifi only ipad and you are set to go, You have GPS via the controller.

Quick question, where do you download maps from when installing on an iPad Mini 5 (Wi-fi only version)? Been flying my MA2 using a Samsung Galaxy 10 cell phone which has GPS so, never had to worry about maps and such. Sadly my vision isn't what it used to be and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new iPad Mini 5 but seeing discussions noting the Wi-Fi only iPad does not have GPS is a bit concerning, thanks.

Interesting to note.....
How can I improve signal reception?
The smartphone clamp of the remote controller houses the antennas. Make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft. Check the user manual for more information about setting the antenna direction. Additionally, ensure you are not wearing any transmitting wearables, and that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned off on your mobile devices.
Taken right from DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Just have location on on the iPad and take internet from your phone with hotspot

Just have location on on the iPad and take internet from your phone with hotspot

Noted but if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly that would conflict with the DJI instructions above, which states "Additionally, ensure you are not wearing any transmitting wearables, and that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned off on your mobile devices." Right? Or are you saying that's one way to download the maps prior to flying?

Last edited:
You can buy a GPS device alone to locate where you are without WIFI. Drones also has this tech plus even more. Watch this video and you will know more then most people.

Noted but if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly that would conflict with the DJI instructions above, which states "Additionally, ensure you are not wearing any transmitting wearables, and that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned off on your mobile devices." Right? Or are you saying that's one way to download the maps prior to flying?
I never had a problem during flying with WiFi and Bluetooth on.

And if your interested where the GPS is in a Mavic Air 2 then watch this.

The information was taken right from the DJI FAQ section. I only posted it so everyone will understand you do not need WIFI to fly your drone but if you are having a problem then DJI states to turn them off.

To tell the truth my Samsung Galaxy S10 bluetooth is always turned on even when I'm using it to fly my MA2 and likewise, I haven't experienced any noticeable issues or problems. I was posing the question in my previous message based on the DJI information noting Wi-Fi and bluetooth should be turned off on the mobile device. I'm an Android fan getting ready to use an Apple product for the first time to fly my MA2, so not sure what (if anything) might need to be setup differently prior to getting started with the iPad Mini 5. The absence of GPS on the iPad Mini 5 (Wi-Fi only version) was the first difference that caught my attention. Second was no SD card slot but I should be okay with the onboard 64GB. Guess I'll find out more when the iPad Mini 5 arrives next week. Meanwhile I'll keep reading to learn as much as I can just in case I miss something important that might be obvious to others already familiar with Apple products. Thanks all for the comments and help.

To tell the truth my Samsung Galaxy S10 bluetooth is always turned on even when I'm using it to fly my MA2 and likewise, I haven't experienced any noticeable issues or problems. I was posing the question in my previous message based on the DJI information noting Wi-Fi and bluetooth should be turned off on the mobile device. I'm an Android fan getting ready to use an Apple product for the first time to fly my MA2, so not sure what (if anything) might need to be setup differently prior to getting started with the iPad Mini 5. The absence of GPS on the iPad Mini 5 (Wi-Fi only version) was the first difference that caught my attention. Second was no SD card slot but I should be okay with the onboard 64GB. Guess I'll find out more when the iPad Mini 5 arrives next week. Meanwhile I'll keep reading to learn as much as I can just in case I miss something important that might be obvious to others already familiar with Apple products. Thanks all for the comments and help.
What makes you think there is no GPS? I have a sneaky feeling that there is.

The spec's I read on the iPad Mini 5, note the Wi-Fi only version does not have GPS; however, the cellular version does provide GPS.

That is their marketing talking. But in the video the most important part is that the GPS is in the drone which send the info back to the app in your iPad.
There also a chip that will catch how far you went without the GPS info.
It reads every movement in distance any direction
That is how the return home works when the signal is dropped.

Last edited:
Yes, I definitely agree GPS in the drone is most important. Reading through responses to FAQ's on Apple.com about GPS on iPad's I see " No GPS hardware on wifi only iPad. It uses a location database of nearby Wifi routers compiled by Apple to estimate location. It tends to be pretty accurate though." To me, that is acceptable for my needs. If I were using my iPad traveling frequently or in a big city needing maps for location and/or directions the absence of onboard GPS might become an issue.

Last edited:
I started with the mini2, then 4, and now 5, none of which were GPS equipped. If I forgot to preload my maps I use this device from Dual:

150A GPS

This works even without cell coverage, and the accuracy is perfect.
Just a suggestion.

Jake

Reactions: EETWiz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman