DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi Only iPad Mini 5

If you don't have GPS on phone otlr tablet there is only one limitation ...you can't refresh manually the home point if you want to move to another place ...for Alla the other thinks eu do t need it the aircrafts gps does all the other things ... One more think you could not do but only in the mavic 2 cause the air and mini don't have it is the follow me ..

I started with the mini2, then 4, and now 5, none of which were GPS equipped. If I forgot to preload my maps I use this device from Dual:

150A GPS

This works even without cell coverage, and the accuracy is perfect.
Just a suggestion.

Jake
so having a ipad with no gps this device will bluetooth to ipad /controller and the ipad will work like your phone does? Im a new pilot /owner of the MM but the smallish iphone is killing my eyes. Wife has a spare ipad 5 /32mb i think that Im pulling out this evening to attempt to use. Do i just download the go fly app to the ipad, connect this gps gadget and pair to drone and ready to go?if you go this route do you still need to hotspot to phone? Couldnt you just hotspot to phone and accomplish the same thing. bear with me, I was told the ipad would not work with the mm and now im finding out it will. I have two flights under my belt and sorta confused on how to make this work since being told it would not. Guess Im having a hard time comprehending if you hotspot from your phone to the IPAD how do you get the gps from phone to IPAD since the IPAD is connected to the controller and the phone is not, (how is phone getting signal from MM if not connected to controller) thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light for a new pilot with ole aging eyes. Happy 4th to all and celebrate our freedom with great enthusiasm. David/retired disabled veteran

@DJJ95 Can't speak for the Mavic Mini but I've been fly both my Air 2 and Air 2S using an iPad Mini 5 (Wifi only) for quite some time with no issues. The Mavic Mini uses the same controller so would imagine you should be able use an iPad Mini 5 to control it as well. No need for wifi. When I need to download maps I simply hotspot my Samsung Galaxy S10 and can pick up the wifi signal on my iPad Mini 5. Download the map for the area I'm flying and it's all good. Remember the GPS on the drone itself is the key for RTH, not so much having GPS on the controller. Check out this section of the forum for a bit more info from others that have done the same:

I bought a refurbished cellular Ipad mini on amazon.
Got cellular coverage for $10/month for maps.
Have a 10.1 Ipad but thought it was too cumbersome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo