DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WiFi or GPS

I am a greenhorn at this. I really like this forum.Ihave learned a lot here. I purchased a mavic air 5 days ago and have some questions. I am linked to gps. I guess that is all I need to fly? When would I need WiFi. I’m using an iPad mini 4. There is a map on my screen. I’ve seen some talk in this forum about caching maps? Did miss something.

Thanks
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio. If you are in map view when connected to wifi the maps should remain there for that area once disconnected. You can also cache offline maps for specific areas too by hitting the "Hamburger" menu button (3 horizontal lines) on the top right of the DJI home screen and selecting the "OFFLINE MAP" option. Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: letsgofly
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio. If you are in map view when connected to wifi the maps should remain there for that area once disconnected. You can also cache offline maps for specific areas too by hitting the "Hamburger" menu button (3 horizontal lines) on the top right of the DJI home screen and selecting the "OFFLINE MAP" option. Fly safe and have fun!
Not in iOS as far as I know!

Th

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.

Better late than never eh?

Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO/PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf
*MAVIC AIR MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/20180213/Mavic Air User Manual_v1.2.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

There are many variables that come into play when trying to answer your questions. If you will have Wi-Fi or a cellular connection you won't need to use cached maps. If you don't have either you will need to cache your maps. DJI Go 4 does not use Google maps. There is a procedure for caching maps, but I found it cumbersome to use. I will leave it to someone else more familiar to explain how that works. Caching Google Maps is very straight forward and easy to do. As a result of my desire to use cached Google maps, I use Litchi to fly my missions. It uses Google Maps by default. When I am going to fly in a remote I cache the maps via my Wi-Fi connection prior to leaving home.

Phones have an onboard GPS receiver, and can locate you on a map, cached or otherwise. If your iPAD Mini has a cellular connection it will include a built in GPS receiver. Many tablets do not have built in GPS receivers. My iPAD Mini 2 does not, so if want to be able to locate myself on a map, I have to use a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929