DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wilderness areas - off limits?

Axis

Reactions
I was looking at the KittyHawk app for LAANC approvals and comparing against sectional maps on SkyVector.
In KittyHawk I can see Lake Mead National Recreation Area is off limits, but it seems the Mount Nutt Wilderness Area and the Warm Springs Wilderness Area are open to fly.
Is that accurate? The sectional maps show the areas with a solid blue outline with blue dots. I was under the impression these areas were off limits.

National Recreation Areas and Wilderness are governed by different regulations, but both are off limits. The National Recreation Areas specifically prohibit model aircraft, while designated wilderness prohibits all motorized/mechanized equipment and aircraft operations (takeoff and landing).

National Recreation Areas and Wilderness are governed by different regulations, but both are off limits. The National Recreation Areas specifically prohibit model aircraft, while designated wilderness prohibits all motorized/mechanized equipment and aircraft operations (takeoff and landing).
Thank you, this makes sense now.

Reactions: BigAl07
Clarification please. Wilderness area is restricted for takeoff and landing, but flyover is not restricted?

Clarification please. Wilderness area is restricted for takeoff and landing, but flyover is not restricted?
I found the link below and it seems to be a work in progress.
In the interim, I personally think it's playing with fire and plan to avoid those areas.

I found an additional link which says "By law, the areas where UAS can’t be operated from include Wilderness Areas and areas with Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) in place, such as wildfires."
It does say "operated from", so it's not specific about flyovers. What would happen if you have an 'unintended' landing in a wilderness area?

I found an additional link which says "By law, the areas where UAS can’t be operated from include Wilderness Areas and areas with Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) in place, such as wildfires."
It does say "operated from", so it's not specific about flyovers. What would happen if you have an 'unintended' landing in a wilderness area?

It's called breaking the law due to irresponsible flying IMHO. If you can't make the flight with absolute certainty that you won't be on the restricted land (and you can't) you are risking breaking the law.

Reactions: Thomas B and Axis

Since you asked what would happen, when I was a National Park backcountry ranger, I would have been expected to cite you even for an “unintended” landing of a drone in a wilderness area. Rangers would do the same today.

There are a lot of open public lands for flying, including BLM and Forest Service non-wilderness areas. Have legal fun!

Last edited:

Correct - not restricted by default, although flying over wilderness while retaining VLOS is not going to get you very far. Plus all the other considerations noted in the posts above.

Reactions: AMann and BigAl07
Forest Service Land (not Wilderness Areas), is okay to land, as it pretty most all BLM land, I do so regularly with my Husky. Shown on top of Mt. Siegel, highest peak in the Pine Nut Range, 9,500'. Next time I land there, I plan to take some video with the M2P.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2010-title36-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title36-vol2-sec212-51.pdf

View attachment 90259

Great picture!! I gotta admit I'm very jealous to say the least!!

Have you ever heard of Trent Palmer?

Reactions: AMann
Reactions: BigAl07 and bumper
Anyone who flies in the bush, or aspires to, knows of Don Sheldon. There are other skilled, adventuresome pioneers, of course, but he was right up there with the best.

Reactions: AMann and BigAl07
Granted Don Sheldon is an ICON (and that's an excellent read BTW), Trent Palmer is my current day role model. He flies drones for a living and flies his bushplane by Kitfox (Called Freedom Fox). He produces great videos almost weekly and his content is AWESOME!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98