DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will Mavic Air 2 outperform Mavic 2 zoom

I already own the Air, and I chose that over the Mavic 2 series due to size and weight. It serves its purposes for me... I bought it knowing it wasn't the "best" of the three. I'm not sure if I really want to spend $800 on yet another drone. Maybe I will just wait for the Mavic 3. :)
I am in the exact same boat; and feel more or less the same. The MA2 is certainly tempting and will make one hell of a starter drone. But I am inclined to wait for an update to the M2P for my next upgrade. If Autel somehow get their act together and release the EVO II before then, I might end up going that route.

Reactions: Shon
I sold my air this week. Main reason to upgrade for me is occusync 2.0. My air could never go past 600m urban.

Yeah...I can how that would be a factor. I haven't had a problem with the Air when it comes to distance flying...but If I were in your shoes...that would certainly move the needle towards upgrading.

Reactions: Mr Shamrok
Here's the new Mavic Air 2 specs from dronereviewsandnews.com.

CAMERA
  • 48 megapixel stills
  • 1080p 240fps
  • 4K 60fps with 120 Mbps write speed
  • 8K Hyperlapse
  • HDR photo, video & panoramic photo
  • 8 GB on board storage
Looks like this is much better than previously thought and reported by makes sense since the stacked sensor allows 4K at 90fps in phones. This drone should be a keeper.

Other stuff... OcuSync 2.0 instead of 3.0 as previously reported. APAS 3.0:

FLIGHT
  • 34 minute battery life
  • 68 km/h top speed
  • OcuSynco 2.0
  • 10km full HD image transmission
  • 2.4/5..8 GHz dual band
  • 3 way obstacle sensing
  • bottom LED light
  • APAS 3.0 Obstacle Avoidance
INTELLIGENT FLIGHT MODES
  • ActiveTrack 3.0
  • Focus 2.0 (FocusTrack)
  • SmartPhoto
  • Hyperlight
  • Spotlight 2.0
  • POI 3.0
  • QuickShots: Helix, Circle, Asteroid, Star, Dronie, Rocket

Last edited:
I would wait and read the inevitable comparison reviews of MA2 vs M2Z, M2P, MA, etc... And if you decide on a Zoom anyways, I suspect prices will drop on those.

I sold my MA a few months ago in anticipation of the MA2 (which spec wise has given me everything I would want in a small package) but I picked up a barely used M2P at a great price a couple weeks ago, so I've been flying that around and learning its video/photo capabilities. I am still envious of the smaller size of the AIR series tho.

The M2 Zoom is larger and heavier so it'll be more stable in windy conditions. The upgraded software features of the MA2 sound good but i'm wondering of the M2Z will be getting a software update with the same improvements. I like the payload capacity of the M2Z. It's good for fishing and carrying/dropping off items up to about 2 pounds. The MA2 won't come close to the payload capacity. The MA which I had had a max payload capacity of only about 8 ounces.

Last edited:
The M2 Zoom is larger and heavier so it'll be more stable in windy conditions. The upgraded software features of the MA2 sound good but i'm wondering of the M2Z will be getting a software update with the same improvements. I like the payload capacity of the M2Z. It's good for fishing and carrying/dropping off items up to about 2 pounds. The MA2 won't come close to the payload capacity. The MA which I had had a max payload capacity of only about 8 ounces.
I just took my Air 2 out for a first flight. I’m underwhelmed. My regular Mavic Pro flew way better and seemed a lot more stable. I returned a Mavic mini to get the Air 2 and I’m kind of regretting it now. The mini was super fun and capable. Honestly what I want more now than anything is zoom ability. I may return this Air 2 and get a zoom, or just wait and see if the Mavic 3 can zoom.

I just took my Air 2 out for a first flight. I’m underwhelmed. My regular Mavic Pro flew way better and seemed a lot more stable. I returned a Mavic mini to get the Air 2 and I’m kind of regretting it now. The mini was super fun and capable. Honestly what I want more now than anything is zoom ability. I may return this Air 2 and get a zoom, or just wait and see if the Mavic 3 can zoom.
Get the Zoom. You will be glad you did.

Get the Zoom. You will be glad you did.
Well I could return the Air 2 to Best Buy but they have a crazy 15% restock fee. I will probably find someone to trade my Air 2 Fly More Kit for a M2 Zoom. Craigslist here I come lol.
I think for me having a mini and the M2 Zoom would be the perfect kit.
I wish there was a way to see that 48 MP shot while I’m flying, but I think it’s just a crop option you do in post....still feeling this new quad out.

I read the Mavic Air 2 specification, and concluded that there are no special specifications to switch from Mavic Zoom to the new Mavic Air 2. The first is no zoom, the second is that of the 34 minutes declared, it will be 28-29 minutes, which is not much more from Mavic Zoom. And I was very disappointed with the size of the control panel. Yes, the camera is a little better, but at the moment I don’t see the point of buying this drone just because of the camera. But everyone has to decide for himself. I hope that Mavic Air 2 will be no worse than other models. All clear skies and safe flights.
What about the $550 cheaper tag specification of the MA2?

Reactions: Fltwrench
Well I could return the Air 2 to Best Buy but they have a crazy 15% restock fee. I will probably find someone to trade my Air 2 Fly More Kit for a M2 Zoom. Craigslist here I come lol.
I think for me having a mini and the M2 Zoom would be the perfect kit.
I wish there was a way to see that 48 MP shot while I’m flying, but I think it’s just a crop option you do in post....still feeling this new quad out.
Are you sure they will charge you 15% restocking fee I know they will if you ask for a full refund. But seeing how you’re upgrading to another drone I think they will waive the 15% restocking fee.

Are you sure they will charge you 15% restocking fee I know they will if you ask for a full refund. But seeing how you’re upgrading to another drone I think they will waive the 15% restocking fee.
If box is opened it’s 15% restock fee. Only way to not pay restock fee at Best Buy is if you don’t remove the shrink wrap on the box.
But really it’s up to each store MGR I think.

The Air 2 will have a better sensor than the M2Z, though not as good as the M2P. It won't have optical zoom, but that will be offset by the ability to use the 48 MP IMX586 in crop mode, which should give almost exactly equivalent results.

Except differences in perspective distortion, that is.

Except differences in perspective distortion, that is.

For similar lens-to-object distance (i.e. using crop to magnify) the perspective is independent of the lens focal length. It only differs if you change the lens-to-object distance to achieve the magnification.

For similar lens-to-object distance (i.e. using crop to magnify) the perspective is independent of the lens focal length. It only differs if you change the lens-to-object distance to achieve the magnification.

I am not sure I understand. However, all things considered an image from Mavic 2 Zoom zoomed in at 48mm will not look exactly like a crop from the 24mm focal length lens of the Mavic Air 2, perspective-wise. The zoomed-in photo will have a flatter look.

I am not sure I understand. However, all things considered an image from Mavic 2 Zoom zoomed in at 48mm will not look exactly like a crop from the 24mm focal length lens of the Mavic Air 2, perspective-wise. The zoomed-in photo will have a flatter look.

No - actually it won't. Again, you are confusing changing distance from the object. Here is an example - the same view shot at 40 mm and 80 mm focal lengths (35 mm equivalent values). The 40 mm shot is cropped to match the 80 mm view and the 80 mm is resampled to match the 40 mm cropped image. They are identical in perspective:

DSC01979_40mm.jpg

DSC01980_80mm.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom