DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will you buy a Mini? What will you use it for?

I will be submitting my order as soon as they open it up tomorrow.

I’m comparing the Air, to the Mavic 2 Wi-Fi and bands... My whole thought is being able to use the SC with it. Right now we don’t know for sure. But, the hardware for transmission looks close. So if it’s not able to natively, then I’m wondering if it can be hacked. It’s just an Android tablet with a controller.
Anyways... another post.. I would use it with my mavic 2, in hopes it will work with SC. Tomorrow will tell.

To which the SC does 2.4 and 5

I’m comparing the Air, to the Mavic 2 Wi-Fi and bands... My whole thought is being able to use the SC with it. Right now we don’t know for sure. But, the hardware for transmission looks close. So if it’s not able to natively, then I’m wondering if it can be hacked. It’s just an Android tablet with a controller.
Anyways... another post.. I would use it with my mavic 2, in hopes it will work with SC. Tomorrow will tell.

I would put large sums of money on the fact that the Mavic Mini works on wi-fi, not OcuSync like the Mavic 2. So it will not work with the Smart Controller. I think someone else mentioned the engineering issues around size, power consumption, and heat dissipation that are some pretty big hurdles to try to fit into such a small form factor where weight is at such a premium to get below the 250g level. Also, don't forget this is DJI's entry level drone. It will be dumbed down in several ways by software so as to not compete with their up market siblings. This is evidenced with the fact that it will have 2.7K instead of 4K. This is simply a marketing decision on their part.

I was kinda excited to hear about this being released. It would have been perfect to keep at the office and utilize it for new listings. However, I feel that anything that operates over WiFi is too much of a liability. It’s either occusync or bust for me.

I’ll strongly consider it (depends on how much of a Christmas bonus my boss gives me) (I own the company but wife is the boss when it comes to bonuses). It’s honestly a really compelling product (at least from what has been leaked) for first-time drone buyers. I have a MA but might have gone for this instead had it been available, with the idea to move up to a M2P or its successor eventually (as was my thought when buying the Air). I’m glad I got the Air (somewhat regret not getting the M2P) but this thing looks like a nice product.

I said this in another thread but after experimenting with 2.7K/60 and 4K/30, I nearly always go with 2.7K, so that limitation doesn’t bother me (the camera on the Air isn’t really good enough for 4K to make much of a difference). I’ll be recommending this to my friends who have expressing interest in getting drones after seeing mine (except for my rich friends, whom I’ll still recommend the M2P to).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvt
Likely getting one. Havent bought a new drone in like 4 years, and actually don't have any DJI. So ... If the actual product is close to what is being hyped, I am in.

You may buy it now but it ships 20-25 days after that and 0% accessories are in stock.

To quote DJI.

"The compact Mavic Mini is a perfect drone for beginners, offering exciting features for endless enjoyment. Mavic Mini is the lightest and most portable drone in the Mavic series lineup. Combined with the new DJI Fly app, Mavic Mini offers a simple and intuitive flying experience."

Reactions: Hauptmann
I will be getting one at launch. I’ve been drone-less for about 1.5 years now. I’ve owned a Mavic Pro and a Spark. I use them for fun and also for shooting B-Roll footage for videos at my church. I’ll probably use it for vacation stuff too.

Not being a professional, there’s no way I’ll ever shell out $1700 for a drone. The Spark worked great for me, but I absolutely hated that 16min (10min) flight time. It was virtually useless. When I owned the Spark I told myself “man, if only this thing folded and had better flight time.” Sure enough, here we are. I was on the fence when it initially leaked a couple months ago with a rumored 18-min flight time. But now that we know it’ll be 30 min. I’m all over that. I would much rather sacrifice a tad bit of image quality for longer flight time.

Plus with a $399 Intro price!? That sounds awesome. I figure I better hop on it now before more tariffs come into play. Didn’t the Mavic Air launch at $6-799? Now that thing is $919!!!!! Way too much for that thing.
Have you flown the Air? It’s worth every penny.

Currently have the MPP. Knowing what I now know about DJI products and how I use mine, the Mini would be perfect for me. However, I’ll wait until I sell my MPP (if ever)

No manual camera settings...

I've just seen the promo video.. looks nice.. how does it compare flight time to the air??

I've just seen the promo video.. looks nice.. how does it compare flight time to the air??

A few more minutes by the looks of it - but, if you're tossing between this and the Air, then the Air is the one to get.

Reactions: Mavic 57
I've decided to pass on this one (for now). It's a nice drone for newbies that want to learn to fly.

But, no 4k, no manual camera settings, no RAW, no colour profiles. I'll stick with my Air and M2Z.

Hope that doesn't come across as negative. It looks like a great drone, and DJI have done well to get something so small with so many features.

Another interesting question is what the new flight control app does about geofencing.

I'm sticking with my Mavic Pro and Tello - best of both worlds (especially with WiFi exetender on the Tello :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman