DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will you buy a Mini? What will you use it for?

I would buy it for travel, but it missed the mark with 40mbps write speed. I don't care much about the 250G goal, I'd rather have OcuSync2 and 100mbps weighing in at 350G for $600. That's what I would like to see in a MavicMiniPro.
This. I now have the Spark for travelling and the M2P for when I go out with the intent of flying. I misssed out on the 40mbps... I found the original Mavic Pro very disappointing in video quality, and "tolerate" the Spark's, because it is so nifty and relatively cheap. Doe anyone know the bitrate of the Spark? I ordered the mini and wouldn't mind recording in 1080p if that means that more write speed is available to capture the quality of the image... Just keeping my fingers crossed that the quality is noticably better than the spark's. If not I'll be selling it off pretty quickly.

This. I now have the Spark for travelling and the M2P for when I go out with the intent of flying. I misssed out on the 40mbps... I found the original Mavic Pro very disappointing in video quality, and "tolerate" the Spark's, because it is so nifty and relatively cheap. Doe anyone know the bitrate of the Spark? I ordered the mini and wouldn't mind recording in 1080p if that means that more write speed is available to capture the quality of the image... Just keeping my fingers crossed that the quality is noticably better than the spark's. If not I'll be selling it off pretty quickly.

It's 24mbps

Reactions: JoostGT3
It's 24mbps
Thanks!
Do you know whether the maximum bitrate is a bottleneck in the video stream? As in: I can imagine that when filming 4k, the 40mbps means that effectively the quality of the shots gets capped, wherease when filming in 1080p you don't run into this bottleneck and therefore the quality might be higher... Does it work that way? In theory that might mean that I could use the mini in 1080p and it giving really good quality results, right?

Thanks!
Do you know whether the maximum bitrate is a bottleneck in the video stream? As in: I can imagine that when filming 4k, the 40mbps means that effectively the quality of the shots gets capped, wherease when filming in 1080p you don't run into this bottleneck and therefore the quality might be higher... Does it work that way? In theory that might mean that I could use the mini in 1080p and it giving really good quality results, right?
Genuinely don’t know the answer to that I’m afraid. What you said makes sense though. You’ll definitely get better results in 1080 with the Mini than the Spark.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Just ordered mine today. It's hard to really find a "All" negative review on it. Since I only have a Spark, it's a no brainer for me at this price point. This will keep me busy until I get my Skydio 2 next January.

I have the MA and the MP2 and love them both. A few nights ago I was one beer short of pulling the trigger on the Mini but what stopped me were the following:

1) Only auto white balance--this makes for terrible transitions between light and dark backgrounds.

2) slow bit rate makes the video choppy in 2.7k. You can see this in many of the Youtube videos

3) what concerns me the most was how DJI built anticipation with all the leaks, then is delaying shipment. The only videos we can see during the current frenzy of buying are by those with corporate connections. DJI will have made a fortune by the time more objective reviews arrive with the actual deliveries of the drone.

My 2 cents

I am following the Mini with great interest. If I do buy one it would be my first drone and I would of course use it to learn how to fly. BTW what does SAR mean? I printed out a list of abbreviated terms and I don't have that one listed.
Don’t buy it in order “to learn how to fly”. There isn’t a consumer drone (non-racing) that can’t be flown by anyone that hasn’t even seen one before. Make your selection on the basis of features and pocketbook. Whatever you buy will be obsolete in 2 years or less and you will likely be bored with it before then. Another words, think past what you perceive as a limitation because you haven’t flown one.

I was interested in the mini, but the more I see video footage the more I just want to keep my Spark. Doesn’t seem like that much of an upgrade over it. I think they’ll sell a lot of ‘em for Christmas to folks getting into drones. At the same time though, I think interest in drones is starting to wane for the casual flyer.

I have the MA and the MP2 and love them both. A few nights ago I was one beer short of pulling the trigger on the Mini but what stopped me were the following:

1) Only auto white balance--this makes for terrible transitions between light and dark backgrounds.

2) slow bit rate makes the video choppy in 2.7k. You can see this in many of the Youtube videos

3) what concerns me the most was how DJI built anticipation with all the leaks, then is delaying shipment. The only videos we can see during the current frenzy of buying are by those with corporate connections. DJI will have made a fortune by the time more objective reviews arrive with the actual deliveries of the drone.

My 2 cents
I agree with 3) 100%. You never really hear the real deal with the initial reviews. Most of them aren’t even drone channels really. I can’t wait to see it in the hands of average Joe drone enthusiast. I honestly don’t see much of an upgrade of this one over the Spark.

I am following the Mini with great interest. If I do buy one it would be my first drone and I would of course use it to learn how to fly. BTW what does SAR mean? I printed out a list of abbreviated terms and I don't have that one listed.
Having a mavic platinum and a spark which is a great drone but will get a mini when I have the funds

I'm not gonna be a naysayer, I mean there are a lot here who said the Mini will never happen and it appears to be real. However there is still a bit of speculation on my part around performance (like 30 min flight time) which I'm looking forward to see being tested. But I doubt I'll bite on this one as I use my MP as a camera and the Mini seems to be somewhat lacking.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Rather than calling it the Mavic Mini, and diluting the range, they should have called it something else.

I have the Eachine E58 looks the same, probably a little smaller and a dam site cheaper.

I’m absolutely getting one. Currently I have a Phantom in a massive hard shell backpack that I lug around the country on my motorbike. This new one will slip in my tank bag. To say I’m excited about it is the understatement of the century!

I have the Eachine E58 looks the same, probably a little smaller and a dam site cheaper.
That’s like comparing a peddle bike to a Porsche.

Reactions: burma419
Ordered mine 20 mins after launch. My P4 & MPP are gonna be parents lol
Got it just to take on hols with us and also to help with the Drone SAR For Lost Dogs volunteer work that I do when required. It's small enough to search through wooded areas that I wouldn't fly the P4 & MPP in. Hopefully those prop guards should take small bumps against trees & branches without sending it to the ground.

It's the Spark I had always wanted.

If and when I have to replace my MPZoom, I will definitely buy the mini. Many of the mini' selling points appeal to me

I had a Spark, and liked many aspects of it, but the flight time, and two axis gimbal caused me to sell and upgrade.

Regarding the M2P and Zoom as upgrades, short of a $10K+ drone, there are no professional models, and I have no professional need, so the mini will check all the boxes for what I want...simple up and done with reasonably good quality.

Also, at this price point, which is better than the Spark fly more, replacement is less of a challenge, so I wouldn't have to treat the drone as if it were precious.

My laptop easily handles 2.7K, but struggles terribly with 4K

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic 57
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat