Join Us Now

wind and the Mavic Mini an unexpected outcome

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
well what a saga the first small ultra light drone from DJI has become
so many different opinions on its capabilities and the new fly app
there's been amazement from some,disappointment from others
but there is one constant running through the whole saga,the MM cannot handle windy conditions
so many lost drones so many unhappy flyers because it can't do this or that like its big brothers
myself and many much more learned people on this forum ,have spent a lot of time trying to inform others about the issues the MM seems to have
it,s clear that the MMs short cummings will probably be aired for a long time to come on the forum
i hope that the stories about lost and crashed MMs get less and less as time goes on
i personally will not be commenting on such events any more, which will please a lot of people i suspect,as i think the subject has been covered enough on the forum

Since I am new to the Mavic Mini and drone flying altogether, I welcome discussion and advice from all who know more than me. I figure it will prevent me from getting myself into trouble with the MM and possibly losing it.

Maybe we need a MM Problemless thread. I have had zero problems with any of my DJI drones including the mini. Can’t say that about the others I’ve purchased.

Boring....

Majority of the issues I have read, I end up finding out they had no business being out flying and definitely not cruising up over 600ft in winds over 30mph and in all honesty no where near 600ft in the first place. It’s amazing to watch people come in the forums in a tizzy and upset with DJI. They have no qualms putting their flight logs out only to see them doing some crazy stuff with the little guys that shouldn’t be done with any drone. I am not saying there is not legit problems from time to time but operator error usually wins out. I just don’t understand why everyone can not just load UAV Forecast and heed its warnings, lol.

Those upset that it can’t do this or that. Good grief it’s 499$ with a ton of goodies. Just look back at 2015. There was nothing even remotely as cool as the Mini Mavic and I for one would have never thought one weighing in at 249 grams could kick butt like this one does for this price point.

One thing, where are you seeing the great number of flyaways? I just went over to that portion of the forums and it’s the same guys with the same fly always over the last few weeks and again most all is operator. No disrespect intended but it’s like you want to stir up a hornets nest? I mean that as lightheartedly as possible.

but there is one constant running through the whole saga,the MM cannot handle windy conditions
so many lost drones so many unhappy flyers because it can't do this or that like its big brothers
myself and many much more learned people on this forum ,have spent a lot of time trying to inform others about the issues the MM seems to have
it,s clear that the MMs short cummings will probably be aired for a long time to come on the forum
i hope that the stories about lost and crashed MMs get less and less as time goes on
i personally will not be commenting on such events any more, which will please a lot of people i suspect,as i think the subject has been covered enough on the forum

Why the hell not an firmware update so as it knows its in RTH and sees the distance increasing instead of decreasing and switch to mode S.
At least even if there is not enough battery to make it all the way you might be lucky and get a reconnection on the remote and land somewhere you know to pick it up latter.

I have no idea what to make of that post. Are you being serious?
Yes, don't get me wrong I do have a laugh but there are new flyers in here looking for solutions to their problems.

Why the hell aren't DJI more active in forums !!!!!!

Since I am new to the Mavic Mini and drone flying altogether, I welcome discussion and advice from all who know more than me. I figure it will prevent me from getting myself into trouble with the MM and possibly losing it.
Simple...don't take chances with the wind. I have been disappointed on many days due to the wind that I can not fly the mini. It's ok though as there will be calmer days ahead. Today was a perfect example, I only I did one flight and only went up 15'. I did practise a successful hand landing .

Attachments

• 8B006599-3362-49E6-B314-4CD4254DA174.jpeg
    8B006599-3362-49E6-B314-4CD4254DA174.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 67
Yes, don't get me wrong I do have a laugh but there are new flyers in here looking for solutions to their problems.

Why the hell aren't DJI more active in forums !!!!!!

DJI has its own forum, which seems to be somewhat functional in terms of getting their attention and advice, but almost completely useless for getting flight forensics. It also has no detectable moderation, and the threads frequently descend into juvenile taunting and insults.

DJI has its own forum, which seems to be somewhat functional in terms of getting their attention and advice, but almost completely useless for getting flight forensics. It also has no detectable moderation, and the threads frequently descend into juvenile taunting and insults.
Totally agreed,
It worries me that they encrypt the black box / onboard log file.

I for one, hope that you do not curb your contributions to this forum. I always look forward to your wisdom and wit.
thanks Ken i will still be throwing my two penny worth into my posts ,i guess i am trying to say what a lot of others have said,the MM has had a very mixed reception hence my title,i have had no issues with mine and they are fine if you understand what they can and cannot do when you fly them

As has been said the outcome was rather obvious from the start. You'll have happy people who see it for what it is and sad people who think it should do more.

People who have come from far larger and far more expensive drones will see it as one of two things -
1) a crappy toy because it can't do all the cool stuff. These people will be sad.
2) a inexpensive way of getting some interesting shots where you might not risk the big bird or where you might not want to lug around a larger drone. These people will be happy.

The new guys will also see it as one of two things
1) An amazing drone. It can do EVERYTHING. Why pay £2000 when this £350 thing can do it all... oh. no. it's blown away/lost signal/doesn't have active track. These people will be sad(eventually)
2) A massively capable and highly portable entry level drone. These people will be happy and may move up the ladder.

DJI have been very responsive to issues with the early drones. They fixed the NFZ issue when they said they would. They fixed the gimbal wobble. They fixed the gimbal noise issues. They fixed the stupid warning messages that could have meant anything. They've been really ontop of the ball here. Sure, their own forum was quite funny to watch some comments for the gimbal noise just get deleted by moderators to make it seem like less people had problems but all in all they're ontop of things.

If they could just implement a feature to allow more angle when in higher wind locations I think they'd have a slightly smaller number of fly aways. I've seen a number on here and loads throughout facebook groups. Lots of people just simply want to use the drone as a toy as the adverts show. Saying this the number of questions I've seen on groups about mavic 2's etc that are shockingly simple show that it's not just the entry level drones that have owners who just want to play.

I'm personally very happy with the drone and glad I didn't return it when it was having all the issues with the gimbal. I don't like the drone for one reason and that is because it's made me want to spend more money!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d