DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind Limits Flying

mel.m

Reactions
I use UAV forecast app set at 30klm at 50 metres altitude anything stronger than this at that altitude keeps me grounded just curious as to how much wind others will tolerate.screen_0161e989ec114216_1552947226000.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmyjam and ff22
Mel: You appear to be lucky by not having continuous 15-20 mile an hour winds as we have down here in South Texas. But I agree, there is a limit if you plan on shooting video and for me, that's around 10-15.

But dude, that is a REALLY good shot of those little islands and I bet the full rez looks spectacular. Well done but man, that's a long way from shore! :)

For me, I'm not happy about exceeding the max. (10 m/sec), but it also depends on if I need to fly upwind or down-wind. I don't mind so much if I'm driving against the wind to get where I want the drone to be, as that means it's an easy and fast trip back for RTH. The reverse can mean trouble - especially if you are coming back at altitude where the wind speeds are usually higher than at ground level.

Mel: You appear to be lucky by not having continuous 15-20 mile an hour winds as we have down here in South Texas. But I agree, there is a limit if you plan on shooting video and for me, that's around 10-15.

But dude, that is a REALLY good shot of those little islands and I bet the full rez looks spectacular. Well done but man, that's a long way from shore! :)
Thanks kilomikebravo we are a bit spoiled hear in Australia big country and few people I fly alot at that spot there's 2 more islands to the north it's a 12- 13 km run it makes you careful. Happy and safe flying thanks everyone for the input.

Preferably I like winds to be under 10 mph, but if I had to fly winds of 15-20 mph (including gusts) should be doable. I just wouldn’t fly far away.

Same.. I usually stay on the ground when the wind gets over 10 MPH -- But I have flown at speeds up to 20 MPH.

One thing that's really annoying with winds over 10 MPH are the incessant and distracting high wind warnings that constantly pop up on the screen. I wish that could be disabled.

Reactions: Thomas B
I live and fly in the mountains so wind is a lot more tricky. We rarely have continuous winds, almost always gusty and changing due to terrain. It can be very still on the surface but blowing quite good up at 100+ ft. I’m a bit lucky in that I have a lot of very tall trees (100 - 150 ft ) all around and I pay close attention to the movement of the tops of the trees. Natures anemometer.

For me, I'm not happy about exceeding the max. (10 m/sec), but it also depends on if I need to fly upwind or down-wind. I don't mind so much if I'm driving against the wind to get where I want the drone to be, as that means it's an easy and fast trip back for RTH. The reverse can mean trouble - especially if you are coming back at altitude where the wind speeds are usually higher than at ground level.
Thanks foxhallGH I think you mentioned the most important thing and that is when there is a bit of wind make sure you're first leg is into the wind makes RTH alot safer. And watch things like the trees clouds above the weather apps don't always get it right. Thanks guys.

I flew in the Highwinds just to try it out. Does amazing. I was in a 20 mile an hour sustained with huge gusts. At one point it would barely go into the wind but would still move. never ceases to amaze me. After that experience I would not do that again.

I use UAV forecast app set at 30klm at 50 metres altitude anything stronger than this at that altitude keeps me grounded just curious as to how much wind others will tolerate.View attachment 67791

Ive taken my mavic out here before too and got a very similar shot. Dont know if id do it again too many bad experiences with birds, and big island is full of them lol.
As far as wind limits im much the same as you.

Ive taken my mavic out here before too and got a very similar shot. Dont know if id do it again too many bad experiences with birds, and big island is full of them lol.
As far as wind limits im much the same as you.
So you're local Jimmyjam

yup im up in the northern suburbs. Great part of the world we've got here, no shortage of amazing scenery to shootThumbswayup
So true I've grown up hear and good to know there's others around that share the same hobby. Safe flying

One of my friend work in DJI told me most of the consumer products can resist level 4 in Beaufort scale, which means 13-18 miles per hour.

Reactions: ff22
I was amazed how well a small bird like a Mavic holds up in the winds. I found out just how well when we had the big storm pass through Maui in February. Yesterday we had some high winds, so I thought I try out the MP2. It flew pretty well. I tied on some paracord (50lb) in case it started to get pulled away, but didn’t need it and left it in P mode. Usually if it drifts, Sport mode can bring it back, and I fly out against the wind. Here’s yesterday’s wind forecast as I was out.

8aecb52193a76d8af82d3c77b29cbdd2.jpg

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot