Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind question - mini 3 pro

Henchula

Reactions
Site
www.henpapirman.com
Hi,
I know the mini 3 pro is fine with 38km max wind, so it says in the manual but I was just told that I shouldn't fly it over 17km wind since it ruins its motors and batteries. Is that true?
Thank you in advance.

I know the mini 3 pro is fine with 38km max wind, so it says in the manual
The manual doesn't say that.
In Normal Mode, the Mini 3 has a max speed of 10 metres/sec (38 km/h)
The Mini 3 might be just able to hold position but can't make headway against a wind of 10 m/s.
but I was just told that I shouldn't fly it over 17km wind since it ruins its motors and batteries. Is that true?
Flying in a wind of 17 km/hr won't have any effect on the motors or batteries.

Reactions: Henchula
The manual doesn't say that.
In Normal Mode, the Mini 3 has a max speed of 10 metres/sec (38 km/h)
The Mini 3 might be just able to hold position but can't make headway against a wind of 10 m/s.

And in 30 km? Will it do something to its motors or batteries?

Hi,
I know the mini 3 pro is fine with 38km max wind, so it says in the manual but I was just told that I shouldn't fly it over 17km wind since it ruins its motors and batteries. Is that true?
Thank you in advance.
Keep in mind you will have less stability in winds over 15MPH and will occasionally get knocked around a bit in stronger gusts. Lighter drones with smaller blade radius do not do as well in windy conditions compared to larger heavier drones.

This was posted in your other thread, I have just seen that you had two near identical threads running so I will remove this from the other thread.

Will it ruin the motors and battery? No ...it shouldn't .......BUT the real danger is that the wind will be too fast for the drone to make headway against it and teh drone will, relative to the ground and you, be blown away, this can happen with any drone.

Generally wind speed increases with height so the normal response is to reduce the drone's height and switch to sports mode, the latter permits greater airspeed.
Additionally DO NOT trigger an RTH, the RTH automated speed is probably below the maximum manually commanded air speed available in sports mode AND if the RTH height is high such an RTH would put the drone up in to those high speed winds. You may be able to 'push' the drone with forward stick IF the RTH was started whilst the drone was in sports mode. I have been able to do that with a Mavic Mini but I do not know if it is passible with the Mini 3.

Last edited:
This was posted in your other thread, I have just seen that you had two nea identical threads running so I will remove this from the other thread.

Will it ruin the motors and battery? No ...it shouldn't .......BUT the real danger is that the wind will be too fast for the drone to make headway against it and teh drone will, relative to the ground and you, be blown away, this can happen with any drone.

Generally wind speed increases with height so the normal response is to reduce the drone's height and switch to sports mode, the latter permits greater airspeed.
Additionally DO NOT trigger an RTH, the RTH automated speed is probably below the maximum manually commanded air speed available in sports mode AND if the RTH height is high such an RTH would put the drone up in to those high speed winds. You may be able to 'push' the drone with forward stick IF the RTH was started whilst the drone was in sports mode. I have been able to do that with a Mavic Mini but I do not know if it is passible with the Mini 3.

I would also add the obvious but often overlooked reality that winds don't remain constant. You may fly downwind expecting you are good to return and 10min later the wind picks up and .... If the winds are strong I either fly upwind so I'm safe to return or fly very conservatively in terms of my battery. My buddy regularly ignores two or three warnings and keeps an eye out for the nearest road to land on, which is entertaining for me when we fly in 20mph wind at -20F. I'll admit he gets in more flight time than I... :).

Flying (or being blown away) in any windspeed won't have any effect on your motors or batteries.
Why not? The motors need to work harder to keep the drone up in the air, or fly against the wind. Batteries will run down faster!
It will not do any damage to them, it will just make the drone less stable and fly less time.

I was flying yesterday into the wind stiff breeze and watched batter life go down but when I came back with the wind the bat life went back up

• Wow
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I was flying yesterday into the wind stiff breeze and watched batter life go down but when I came back with the wind the bat life went back up
Is that the predicted flight time you are talking about or perhaps the time remaining until low battery RTH kicks in?

The battery level didn't increase.
What you see on the screen is an estimate of predicted flight time at the current power consumption.
Change the power consumption level and the estimate changes

That's weird, isn't it?
If it's projected battery life then not quite, it computes the charge necessary to get home. It would have to err of the heavy consumption side to be safe so, if it actually uses less battery to travel xft towards home, it gains some spare capacity as it heads home..

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Why not? The motors need to work harder to keep the drone up in the air, or fly against the wind. Batteries will run down faster!
It will not do any damage to them, it will just make the drone less stable and fly less time.
Why not? Because from the drone's perspective while in flight wind does not exist.

Flying full-throttle on a dead calm day is no less taxing on the motors than flying full-throttle in a 50mph wind.

You're gonna lose your drone, but the motors aren't working any harder. Aircraft are always flying relative to the air mass they're in, not the ground below them. This is why there is a conceptual (and very important!) difference between airspeed and ground speed in aviation.

Why not? Because from the drone's perspective while in flight wind does not exist.

Flying full-throttle on a dead calm day is no less taxing on the motors than flying full-throttle in a 50mph wind.

You're gonna lose your drone, but the motors aren't working any harder. Aircraft are always flying relative to the air mass they're in, not the ground below them. This is why there is a conceptual (and very important!) difference between airspeed and ground speed in aviation.
Okay, I might be wrong.
Please explain then why do the motors work harder (sound louder) when I full throttle into the wind compared to full throttle with the wind?

Okay, I might be wrong.
Please explain then why do the motors work harder (sound louder) when I full throttle into the wind compared to full throttle with the wind?
They don't.
Your drone's speed is limited by how far the drone tilts.
If you flew a Mini 3 in still air, in Sport Mode it can make 16 metres/sec by tilting to 40°.
If you flew it at full speed directly into a 10 m/s wind, the drone is flying just as hard and achieving 16 m/s air speed, but only making 6 m/s over the ground.
The motors aren't working any harder because full speed is full speed.

How it sounds to your ears isn't a good indication.
It will sound different depending on the direction to the drone and the direction of the wind and a number of other factors.

Reactions: FLDave and Yaros
Okay, I might be wrong.
I don't have your ears available to perform controlled tests and find out. but I'd say it's psychological 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661