DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind resistance: mini2 vs ma2 vs mp2

fullbore

Reactions
According to dji consumer compari chart, there is no difference between the three series 2 drones - despite sign sizes and weights. Weather site indicate low wind today (9mph). Yet when I got over bay, near shore, and had to increase altitude (from 50 ft) to regain signal, I got high wind warning and lost video feed. Couldn’t stay low due to loss of communication, couldn’t go high due to wind.

So I let the auto RTH engage to bring this noob’s first drone (mini 2) home.

I‘m at a gulf coast bay, so winds are generally high where I’ll want to fly, even on “calm” days.

Looking at recorded video after landing, front was clearly being rocked and rolled in wind and gusts.

Thought larger drone might help, yet comparison table shows no difference.

Does anyone have experience with two or more of referenced drones to substantiate or refute the comparison information?

M2 series= 44.7 mph MA2= 42 mph Mini 2=35.8 mph Top forward speed. This isn't actually wind resistance, but your not really asking for resistance per say as far as hover which it's probably rating.

A object in motion stays in motion, unless acted upon by another force, and in this case wind. So a heavier drone will be more suited to handle gusts while in motion. Your top speeds will factor in what difference you could expect to get you back home in sustained wind...does that help? I actually would be greatly surprised if my M2Z couldn't handle more wind than a Mini 2..but ehhh, been wrong before :)

Thx Repaid1 (esp for service, also for reply). In other post it was stated that DJI drones are capable of faster velocity through wind, but have ground speed limits.
In any case, seems to me that densest drone (heaviest for given wind exposure area) would be best at handling heavy winds.
Perhaps that’s why mini2 is rated as high as ma2 and mp2 in the comparison chart.

Thx Repaid1 (esp for service, also for reply). In other post it was stated that DJI drones are capable of faster velocity through wind, but have ground speed limits.
In any case, seems to me that densest drone (heaviest for given wind exposure area) would be best at handling heavy winds.
Perhaps that’s why mini2 is rated as high as ma2 and mp2 in the comparison chart.
Have no clue, I don't think they really give maximums they just quote a safety zone range and again it could be just hover hold who knows?

You know it’s a very smart man who knows what he doesn’t know!

Last edited:
I was not a Marine, but my dear padre was. Bless you!

According to dji consumer compari chart, there is no difference between the three series 2 drones - despite sign sizes and weights.
DJI has only recently started showing wind resistance in the specs.
They have never defined it so we can only guess what it means.
It would seem logical that it refers to the max wind speed at which the drone can maintain horizontal position.
That speed was always the highest speed the drone could fly at in Normal mode.
If the wind exceeds that speed, the drone loses ground.

The weight of the drone isn't important, the speed is what matters.

DJI's stated wind resistance numbers seem pretty loose but a look at how they show it in the specs gives a clue as to where it comes from.
8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5)
Scale 5 is the clue that DJI's numbers are coming from the Beaufort Scale Beaufort scale - Wikipedia
A Force 5 wind is 17–21 knots or 8.7 - 10.8 metres/sec.

DJI's concept of wind resistance is vague and they are only saying the drones can hold position in a force 5 wind.

Wind resistance in my opinion means that the AC can keep its position when stationary but in motion of course a heavier drone will fare better

Wind resistance in my opinion means that the AC can keep its position when stationary but in motion of course a heavier drone will fare better
It's like swimming upstream against the current.
It doesn't matter how big or heavy the swimmer is, it matters how fast he can swim.

Reactions: maelstrom
Only as far as stability goes - a heavier drone will have more inertia. Penetration into the wind is dependant on forward speed so the weight of the drone shouldn't make that much difference.

My 2 pennies worth, the stability (in hover) of a drone would be affected by it's mass/inertia and its coefficient of drag, which would in turn vary depending on the wind direction relative to the drone. Also it's electronics, lag between sensors (GPS, inertial, compass) and signal to the rotors, how quickly the motors can spin up, or down. There are many factors we can only guess at.

Unless you stick them in a wind-tunnel, and define the test parameters, One drone may be better in a headwind, and do worse in a crosswind. I think any other comparisons are subjective at best.

What I worry about more is "can I bring it home against a headwind"..

I think we could banter back and forth about what handles better in wind all day long . But at the end of it all having the bird fight a headwind coming home is very important. That’s where top speed comes into play to fight its way home . I know my old Gen 1 mav pro don’t flutter around in the wind while at hover as much as my air 2 . Is it the weight or the software programming . [emoji848].

Reactions: Barbara
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78