DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind

ShotByKieran

Reactions
Hi guys,

I was wondering how fast the wind can be and still be able to fly the Mavic Pro?

Thanks in advance
Kieran

Per the Mavic Pro FAQ, the Mavic Pro was designed to handle wind speeds up to 24 MPH.

Reactions: Thomas B
Per the Mavic Pro FAQ, the Mavic Pro was designed to handle wind speeds up to 24 MPH.
Realize that flying into the wind will result in slower speed of drone movement and/or more rapid battery depletion. My practice is to fly out against the wing whenever possible in order to provide a buffer to my RTH time.

Hi guys,

I was wondering how fast the wind can be and still be able to fly the Mavic Pro?

Thanks in advance
Kieran
It can withstand some pretty darn strong winds. The 24 mph stated by DJI is a conservative figure. In Sport mode the mavic can easily reach 35-40 MPH airspeed so the 24 mph winds mean it can still fly 10-15mph straight into the head wind but if you kinda “tack” back and forth across the head wind you can get where you wanna go in even higher winds. Though 24 mph is probably a good number to use for how high of winds it can COMFORTABLY handle.

the biggest issue with flying in high wind conditions is the greatly reduced flight times as stated before, you need to keep a very close eye on remaining battery power to give yourself a margin of safety, so you dont run out of juice, as the battery power depletes the drain on it increases quite quickly and it is easy to get caught out

Not to mention that surface wind may be much different as you climb. Just because you have 15mph on the ground doesn't mean it's the same at higher altitudes. But overall I was surprised how well my MP operates in winds 10-20 MPH.

I sometimes fly my MPP on the Caribbean island of Bonaire, right in the middle of the Tradewinds. Lots of flights in the 20+ range and some in the 20++ MPH range. I think it puts us at a higher risk of an incident. Winds are anything but steady, especially close to the ground and around large fixed objects such as hills, buildings and big trees. You can get Venturi effects and down drafts all that can exceed the average reported winds. While I have no solid statistics, your flight times will also go down. But the MPP does a darn good job of staying as stable as it can. I wish I had a remote video of me trying to land back on my sea-side deck, which has the Caribbean Sea on one side, tall palm tree on the other, along with some concrete walls and a landing zone that is 10’ by 20’ with four occupied lawn chairs. The recording was off on the MPP, which was my bad. I asked all my family/friends to go back behind the palm tress and keep an eye on the drone, just in case I lost control. Well the landing was fine, not pretty but fine. , no damage to the bird and no blood shed from a prop strike. I say practise in open areas on some windy days to gain some confidence but remember the weather can change and the winds can pick up.

Reactions: BlueIrish

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk