DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windy conditions --Mavic Air vs. Mavic Pro-- help for newbie pilot

Here's some more basic physics.
In a wind of 6 metres/sec, a drone that can fly at 16 metres/second (in still air), is going to be less affected a lot less than a drone that can only make 12/m/s.

The weight of the drone is irrelevant to how it copes in wind.
Being heavier doesn't help get your drone home.
How fast it can fly is all that matters.

Here's some more basic physics.
In a wind of 6 metres/sec, a drone that can fly at 16 metres/second (in still air), is going to be less affected a lot less than a drone that can only make 12/m/s.

The weight of the drone is irrelevant to how it copes in wind.
Being heavier doesn't help get your drone home.
How fast it can fly is all that matters.
the heavier your drone is,the less effect wind will have on your drone...if you can't understand that,then you may as well carry this conversation on by yourself...the mavic 2 pro does 72kmph,whereas the mavic air does 68.4kmph..the air is not only lighter,but also slower...this also factors in

Reactions: Droniac
the heavier your drone is,the less effect wind will have on your drone...if you can't understand that,then you may as well carry this conversation on by yourself...
Your idea only works if the object is at the mercy of the wind, like a balloon.
Using your "physics" you'd suggest that a big slow plane is less affected by wind than a small fast plane?

I've always thought the lower profile of the Mavics works in its favour in wind too.
Sleek and streamlined vs bigger area were the wind can result in higher resistance.

Phantoms are supposed to be good in wind too, and of course they are bulkier.
Maybe their motor size is that much greater to give it an edge equal to or greater than say the M2.

The weight, air resistance etc is already factored in to the max speed in still air.
A drone that can fly faster has more ability to deal with wind than a slower deone.

Last edited:
Weight alone doesn't make a drone more wind-resistant.

Obviously a lot of people think so because over the last 4-5 years I've seen many references to heavier drones being more wind-resistant, but never said anything until now.

Power/weight ratio is what makes the difference... which, as meta4 has said, is 'summarized' by max ground speed.

the heavier your drone is,the less effect wind will have on your drone...if you can't understand that,then you may as well carry this conversation on by yourself...
Maybe you need to sit down in a quiet place and think about this for a while.

If you put Mavic Pro motors on a Mini, you'd have one very fast, and therefore very 'wind-resistant', flying machine

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!
The Original Post in this thread was April 7th 2020, the OP himself hasn't been on this website since April 14th 2020. :)

... but I'm sure he appreciates the welcome, wherever he is :)

• Haha
Weight alone doesn't make a drone more wind-resistant.

Obviously a lot of people think so because over the last 4-5 years I've seen many references to heavier drones being more wind-resistant, but never said anything until now.

Power/weight ratio is what makes the difference... which, as meta4 has said, is 'summarized' by max ground speed
Disco! Bingo? Yup.

the mavic 2 is faster than the air 2s by like 5kmp/h so by your logic,the mavic 2 has better wind resistance...
The Mavic 2 specs indicate a top speed in Sport Mode that's 3.6 km/hr faster.
That would suggest that the M2 is just marginally better at dealing with wind.
And I can't see the relevance of your comment??

The Mavic 2 specs indicate a top speed in Sport Mode that's 3.6 km/hr faster.
That would suggest that the M2 is just marginally better at dealing with wind.
And I can't see the relevance of your comment??
read the earlier comments in this thread..there was quite the debate on which drone is more stable in windy conditions etc

read the earlier comments in this thread..there was quite the debate on which drone is more stable in windy conditions etc
Considerable debate? Not in this thread.
But stability is a vague concept at best and not something that can be empirically compared.
I'm still struggling to understand what point you are trying to make.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13