DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Windy conditions --Mavic Air vs. Mavic Pro-- help for newbie pilot

clicker7

Reactions
Hi All, I'm Joseph:

I am ready to buy either an Mavic Air or Mavic Pro..... I think they are both great for my needs. I live on the western edge of Monroe WA..... mostly rural , farmland and acerage north of me. I will enjoy the drone for recreational use.

I need some help with my choice.... My area is fairly windy.... today it's 5-8 mph lots of time 5-12 mph. For those of you who understand aeronautics.... coming back home from an out and back flight -- into 8-10 mph winds... what does better Mavic Air or Mavic Pro (into the wind). Mavic Air had less area and resistance but weighs less..... Mavic Pro had more weight and resistance. I know there are a lot of variables---that is why I am asking you guys. Which drone would burn more battery coming home against the wind from a flight. Is there a basic therorum for weight, and area, and wind resistance.....

Thanks so much guys....... if it is a dumb question-- bear with a newbie.

thanks again.
Joseph

Last edited:
With my MA I try to fly out against the wind and bring it home with the wind

welcome to the forum, as has been stated they have very similar flight characteristics
for me the M2P has the edge on flight time,more stable connection( occusync 2)and overall abilities it is really down to you on how much you want to spend

Welcome tho the forum. I fly the MA, and find that it handles the wind quite well. I try to fly into the wind and return with the wind. I have several hundred flights on my MA, and have not found wind to be an issue. Always good to ask questions on the forum, that is how many of us learn. We look forward to your view of the world. Be safe.

Never had a Air so can’t say nothing but have had 2 Pro’s
so I would say Pro but agree with omm on the M2P.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

I can only comment on my Air, but agree with everything said above. The reason I got the Air vs. the Pro was the size difference. I can put my Air, Controller, and batteries, in two lens pockets of my photography backpack, and then take my Air with me anywhere I go to take pictures. The Air has a pretty amazing camera, and I'm sure the Pro is at least as good or even better.

Remember that winds aloft are generally higher. As stated above, try to plan flights out against the wind and return with it. Remember that the last 50% battery charge often is dissipated faster that the first half, so set your RTH warning appropriately and pay attention to it.

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

i have both, and they both perform equally well in the wind.

I'd definitely agree, having flown my M1P alongside my BIL and his Air, it's as stable in moderate winds, say up to 20 - 25 km/hr, neither of us tend to fly higher wind speeds anyway, but I have flown mine once is winds I normally wouldn't (one shot place and time, so did it with care).

IMHO, they both behave the same in those winds. The Pro has much better range then the Air. If I were to choose, I'd go with the Pro.

That's true regarding range and in closer reliability in urban environments.

Regarding Mavic Pro, and mentioned by the OP @clicker7 . . . "I am ready to buy either an Mavic Air or Mavic Pro"
I take it it isn't the M1P ?
Think this is all but discontinued worldwide, but you might find some stock in the US ?
If so, get the flymore if you can, the extra batteries will be a great benefit to you down the line.

I would look for the MPP (Mavic Pro Platinum) if possible as it is still in production, and has some slight advantages in flight time and lower noise.
(Though you can fit the MPP 8331 props to the M1P, and it makes a very nice improvement.)

Regarding Mavic Pro, and mentioned by the OP @clicker7 . . . "I am ready to buy either an Mavic Air or Mavic Pro"
I take it it isn't the M1P ?
Think this is all but discontinued worldwide, but you might find some stock in the US ?
If so, get the flymore if you can, the extra batteries will be a great benefit to you down the line.

I would look for the MPP (Mavic Pro Platinum) if possible as it is still in production, and has some slight advantages in flight time and lower noise.
(Though you can fit the MPP 8331 props to the M1P, and it makes a very nice improvement.)

Note that you can find both Mavic Pros and MPP all over the place, used. The current "going" price for used Mavic Pros is between $600 - $800, depending on extras. They are still highly desirable.

Mavic Airs go for $500-$700, used.

It would be a no-brainer to me to spend a little extra and get the Mavic Pro or MPP. As others have said, it has much better range and flight duration, and is quieter flying. Either would do great in a windy environment (up to 25MPH).

Have you checked the Classified section here on mavicpilots.com?

Note that you can find both Mavic Pros and MPP all over the place, used. The current "going" price for used Mavic Pros is between $600 - $800, depending on extras. They are still highly desirable.

Mavic Airs go for $500-$700, used.

It would be a no-brainer to me to spend a little extra and get the Mavic Pro or MPP. As others have said, it has much better range and flight duration, and is quieter flying. Either would do great in a windy environment (up to 25MPH).

Have you checked the Classified section here on mavicpilots.com?

Hi Jim, I think you misquoted me instead of the OP, they'll see it though and good advice you gave.

Interesting the M1P is still available there.
We haven't had them in shops or on DJI site for ages, maybe 3 - 4 months !!
You can't even find the M1P batteries now, but of course the MPP batteries are same spec, and just that different lighter colour.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup
I personally own most of the Mavic series of aircraft. When the original Mavic Pro was first introduced, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Smaller, foldable 4K Drone. Then the Mavic Air was introduced. Even smaller with a few more features.
My main disappointment was flight time and range with the MA. In fact, I rarely fly it that much because my MP and M2P are my main go to aircraft when flight time and range are concerned. Either way, good luck on your choice.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Seems like the worst case scenario is running out of battery on RTH. Or RTH into the wind.... Although I watched some videos of ditching in water (ouch!).

I am leaning more towards the MP or MPP. If my money is really tight I will go for the Air. Like most folks I'm out of work right now and under lock-down just north of Seattle-- so my craft won't happen for a few weeks. I am leaning towards new craft..... kinda leary about the condition of someones else's used drone.

In a way the "Stay at Home" is given me time to study up-- tons of good You-tube videos on MA vs. MP that are helpful to newbies. Been reading FAA website too.

Thanks so much for all the helpful input!

If anything else comes to mind please post.

Looks like I'll be the grandpa out there!

Cheers!

Joseph

Both handle similarly well in the wind as mentioned above. Are you looking at original Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 Pro? I would recommend the Mavic 2 Pro which has a longer distance, more stability, and better camera. If you would like, shoot us a message and I can send you a few quotes and see about getting you into the right set up.

Thanks,
FDS Team

Hi All, I'm Joseph:

I am ready to buy either an Mavic Air or Mavic Pro..... I think they are both great for my needs. I live on the western edge of Monroe WA..... mostly rural , farmland and acerage north of me. I will enjoy the drone for recreational use.

I need some help with my choice.... My area is fairly windy.... today it's 5-8 mph lots of time 5-12 mph. For those of you who understand aeronautics.... coming back home from an out and back flight -- into 8-10 mph winds... what does better Mavic Air or Mavic Pro (into the wind). Mavic Air had less area and resistance but weighs less..... Mavic Pro had more weight and resistance. I know there are a lot of variables---that is why I am asking you guys. Which drone would burn more battery coming home against the wind from a flight. Is there a basic therorum for weight, and area, and wind resistance.....

Thanks so much guys....... if it is a dumb question-- bear with a newbie.

thanks again.
Joseph
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! I have both, the Mavic Pro flies better in the wind, also has better ranger and flight time too. Fly safe and have fun!

Hi Jim, I think you misquoted me instead of the OP, they'll see it though and good advice you gave.

Interesting the M1P is still available there.
We haven't had them in shops or on DJI site for ages, maybe 3 - 4 months !!
You can't even find the M1P batteries now, but of course the MPP batteries are same spec, and just that different lighter colour.

Sorry about quoting the wrong person, @MAvic_South_Oz.

I just read your message - I haven't gotten any updates from mavicpilots.com since April. Also, I just bought two new MP batteries online, so they are available (at least in the US). They are the older Gray batteries, but had zero charges on them. Seem to work great.

the mavic 2 pro/zoom handles high winds a little better as it is heavier.

Yes, it does handle wind best of the prosumer drones, and now 18 months since the OP posted and with the M3 coming out, they might start appearing more in 2nd hand sales. people upgrading etc.
No other posts by the OP on the forum, maybe they got another brand of drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan