DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Winter is coming

Ya, don't think I'll be flying a lot while it's snowing. Cold though, down to -5 or so. Hard to keep the fingers warm. Sitting in the car, possible, but I wonder about what that does to communications with the drone then.

When its really cold we do all of our flying from inside the Car: We have a lot of videos from inside the car but this one was the coldest on record for us with the wind chill factor. We fly low to test the signal and behind building also ,we have gained a lot of confidence with it.

Living in Northern Ontario where we already have snow on the ground I have flown in the winter for over 6 years now. If you have a lot of batteries to fly that day get yourself a small cooler. Buy some bean bags and heat them up in the micro wave. They will stay warm in the cooler for a very long time, Throw your extra batteries in there and they will be toasty warm for when you need them. When its 30 below my fingers and hands get cold so I invested in one of these cheap RC gloves. Its keeps my hands nice and toasty. Trust me you will give up before your drone gives in to the cold. Winter flying is fun if you are prepared.

I live in a cold climate, Chicago the Windy City., been flying mine every winter. No problems, have a laser temp gage to check drone temp. Never fly it in rain, snow, fog.
Do fly it in the cold weather, do not fly it below zero. Keep the battery warm in the car before flying, and no issues.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
There is a big difference between flying in the Snow and flying in the Extreme cold .

Two things happen when the Power Button get Compromised.

Warning that the battery can no longer connect with the Drone
The Battery begins to swell several days latter as the Dis Charging is disrupted.

Notice how fast the Power Button gets covered in the Slow motion footage:
Something to consider for those flying every day in the snow / extreme cold temps and Rain.

what cover do you use? Looks really good stuff

what cover do you use? Looks really good stuff

Its come with the Mavic Wet Suits we sell at Phantomrain.org
The Forum members get 3 battery covers and 3 Power Button Seals and 3 Color designs.
Neon Red/ Neon Blue and Black.

email me at [email protected] and I will send you out the catalog.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer