DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

With the 4k on the MA2, what type of SD card and size do you recommend?

flyhigh2

Reactions
If you're shooting at 4k/60fps for like 30 minutes, would it fill up a 64gb sandisk extreme pro card? Thinking about getting just 2x64gb sandisk extreme pro to swap out after flights, so to not lose footage. Just not sure how much data 4k/60fps takes up. I guess if I was traveling, I would need multiple cards. Would 64g be ok or should I get the 128gb?

Also do you need a card reader? Or can you just connect the usb from laptop to the drone and extract your files that way?

Last edited:
If you're shooting at 4k/60fps for like 30 minutes, would it fill up a 64gb sandisk extreme pro card? Thinking about getting just 2x64gb sandisk extreme pro to swap out after flights, so to not lose footage. Just not sure how much data 4k/60fps takes up. I guess if I was traveling, I would need multiple cards. Would 64g be ok or should I get the 128gb?

Also do you need a card reader? Or can you just connect the usb from laptop to the drone and extract your files that way?
64GB is plenty big enough per flight. Just get a USB 3.0 microSD reader. It will be far better than transferring directly from the drone, killing a battery charge, as the drone must be on to transfer.

Make sure the SD card is 'UHS Speed Class 3' rated (i.e. it has the U with a 3 in it logo). A U3 card will sustain a 240 Mbps data write speed which covers HD recording and prevents frame drops.

Make sure the SD card is 'UHS Speed Class 3' rated (i.e. it has the U with a 3 in it logo). A U3 card will sustain a 240 Mbps data write speed which covers HD recording and prevents frame drops.
The MA2 camera video recording rate is 120mbps, so a slower card will be problematic. I use the U3 SanDisk Extreme Plus 90 mbps write speed cards in the M2 and P4P, and both cameras record video at 100mbps without issues on those cards. Probably good enough for the MA2, too. Will soon see. Arrives May 11th.

The MA2 camera video recording rate is 120mbps, so a slower card will be problematic. I use the U3 SanDisk Extreme Plus 90 mbps write speed cards in the M2 and P4P, and both cameras record video at 100mbps without issues on those cards. Probably good enough for the MA2, too. Will soon see. Arrives May 11th.
Sandisk is 90MB/s which is 720mbps, while the drone captures at 120mbps or 15MB/s so there is plenty of speed in there, not to worry.

Sandisk is 90MB/s which is 720mbps, while the drone captures at 120mbps or 15MB/s so there is plenty of speed in there, not to worry.
Thanks for clarifying! Thumbswayup

I thought I remembered something about it being overkill, but got lost in the the Byte vs. bit translation!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark