DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Word for sideways motion?

TomMcW

Reactions
What word do you guys use to describe lateral translation - the side to side motion that is mostly peculiar to quads, although a regular helicopter can do it to a limited extent.

I've gotten a large variation of answers to this depending on who I ask.

For fixed wing aircraft the sideways component of flight is called slip. In a strong crosswind, where the plane is flying somewhat sideways it's called a crab.

One helicopter pilot said a lateral control on the cyclical is just called roll (since that's what the rotor actually does to cause the movement. Same for a quad, the gimbal just compensates for it). A rescue helo pilot said the pilot and crew use slide when they are lining up on a pickup point. The FAA helicopter manual refers to it as sideward hovering.

In physics terms, for freedom of motion it's called sway. I think sailing uses that term too.

For video games I've heard people call it shuffle and sidestep, although the correct term there is strafe.

The MP has a camera so I thought maybe the cinematography term would be best, which is truck.

In football (aka soccer) it's called jinking. In American football it's called juking.

I've had some people say that drone pilots call it bend. What's the consensus here? If you want to ask a drone pilot to move laterally without yawing you tell him to _____ left or _____ right.

Reactions: RitterRunkel
The only reason I don't like roll is because it's actually an attitude rather than a translational motion. In other words it's a rotation along an axis, not a direction. I'm so used to that from fixed wing that it bugs me.

Crab. This is a dolly move.

Think of the Mavic as a camera platform, like a dolly.

I've flown waypoint missions where the Mavic is turned 90 degrees to the flight path. During the move, one side of the Mavic would be slightly higher than the other, but the gimbal will compensate to keep the camera level.

Besides, "crab" sounds cool and a motion picture person would understand what you're referring to.
--
Here's a panorama from my Mavic, and two more - - Art from the Air - -

Bank. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod

I've flown waypoint missions where the Mavic is turned 90 degrees to the flight path. During the move, one side of the Mavic would be slightly higher than the other, but the gimbal will compensate to keep the camera level.

Besides, "crab" sounds cool and a motion picture person would understand what you're referring to.
--
I've never heard crab used in cinematography. What part of the world are you in? Maybe they use different terms. The word I learned in film class is truck. The terms we used for camera movement were Truck left/right, dolly in/out, pedestal up/down. For axial movements it was pan left/right and tilt up/down. (Not sure if there's a word for rotation on the longitudinal axis. That'd be pretty rare to do)

--
Looked up "crab" in cinematography on the web. The site I found that used it was UK. Must be different terms depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on. That's why I hadn't heard it. I like it better than truck :)

I always say strafe but that is probably from playing too much Quake2 as a youth o_O
Oh man, Quake 2 - I lost a lot of brain cells to that game over my 56k modem. Great game!

To be roll or bank implies the camera tilts.
As far as the aircraft goes, it rolls, pitches and yaws. Since we're not actually controlling the angle of the camera, but rather we are controlling the A/C, I'm sticking with "Roll" :D

Reactions: Nice
As far as the aircraft goes, it rolls, pitches and yaws. Since we're not actually controlling the angle of the camera, but rather we are controlling the A/C, I'm sticking with "Roll" :D

Nah, it's not a fixed wing aircraft hence the point of the conversation.

Pilots call it. "Crabbing"

In these videos, pilots are seen drifting their planes sideways before touching down on the runway. This maneuver — known as "crabbing" — requires the pilot to allow the crosswind to push to nose of the plane towards the side before using the rudder to correct the direction of plane upon touchdown.
http://video.businessinsider.com/6cd3d727-5859-4864-854e-8f1ef3e16709.mp4

Reactions: Peregrine
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31