DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would like Mavic, but no dealer near me?

does anyone consider the fact the camera does not rotate to be a limiting factor compared to other drones like the H etc that do rotate?

It would be nicei if did, but since the drone moves on 3 axis and the camera 1, you just get used to moving the drone instead of the camera. In Tripod mode you get real nice video too.

Remember the cameras on these things are already fragile, many have survived crashes with little or no damage. start adding more parts for additional rotation (pan) and the odds of it getting damaged goes up

does anyone consider the fact the camera does not rotate to be a limiting factor compared to other drones like the H etc that do rotate?
I find the 360 degree rotation to be very disorienting at times when flying my Inspire 1. For that reason, I rarely use that feature. I much prefer to yaw the drone as needed instead.

Reactions: JamesA
So the flymore combo seems like it has everything I need to get started.. multiple batteries, controller, etc.. would I need anything other than this combo to get going for now? (im looking at best buy)
I got the fly more combo and the extras I got were a set of ND filters for smooth video, lens cleaner, a tablet holder, a lens hood, short right-angle USB cord (for tablet), prop guards (for indoors or tight areas, rarely used). All but the prop guards fit in the fly more combo bag. Of these, the ND filters should come first. You really can't take smooth video without them.
The Mavic rotates easy enough to keep the camera pointed where you want it. Various flight modes will automatically keep it pointed at your target while you fly past.
...this is going to be primarily used for family functions, camping trips, fishing, etc!...
If you will be hiking on these family functions, the Mavic would be the better choice due to it's portability over the Phantom.
...Does it store the images to a card? Can I send the images to myself or do I physically have to insert the card into my pc?
It stores images to a micro SD card. You can also cache them to your display device but it may affect the device performance (video lag, app crash). You either insert the card into the PC or connect the Mavic to the PC via USB.

I got the fly more combo and the extras I got were a set of ND filters for smooth video, lens cleaner, a tablet holder, a lens hood, short right-angle USB cord (for tablet), prop guards (for indoors or tight areas, rarely used). All but the prop guards fit in the fly more combo bag. Of these, the ND filters should come first. You really can't take smooth video without them.

The Mavic rotates easy enough to keep the camera pointed where you want it. Various flight modes will automatically keep it pointed at your target while you fly past.

If you will be hiking on these family functions, the Mavic would be the better choice due to it's portability over the Phantom.

It stores images to a micro SD card. You can also cache them to your display device but it may affect the device performance (video lag, app crash). You either insert the card into the PC or connect the Mavic to the PC via USB.

O.k whats an ND filter? I looked on amazon and see a wide range of prices and manufacturers.. How do they help produce smooth video? Im thinking they change the image quality, but how does it increase smoothness?

The Air has 8GB of onboard memory for those times you forget your card or fill it up.

Mavic Pro is the right drone - Best Buy is the wrong store!!

The Mavic Pro is easy to learn to fly if you read the manual and pay attention to some of the better You Tube channels. And it has a myriad of pilot- support features.

Best Buy used to be my go to store - TV, computers, cameras, etc. But when I went to buy my Mavic I was given a box with the seal broken. To avoid a long story, I was told that they were all like that so the store could add something to the box. My excitement to have the Mavic over rode my good judgment and I left the store with the opened box.

Later I found out about the stickers and lens coverings on the Mavic as shipped from DJI. Obviously this was a package that had been sold, returned by the customer, and resold to me. I went .back to the store to address the issue and was told that I was wrong.

Not Only Would They Not Even Admit To The Situation, They Wouldn't Even Consider Offering It As An Open Box Sale!!

Get the Mavic, but get it from somewhere other than Best Buy!
Just my. Strong . opinion!

Reactions: Chris12
I don’t find the gimbal panning to be limiting, it may even simplify your indoctrination into UAV flight. It is one less thing to focus on, and if you want to pan left or right, you just yaw left or right. The camera does still maintain a stable image left to right, so it does do some automatic left/right movement on its own. The only limitation that I see it poses is that you don’t have full obstacle avoidance if you’re traveling left/ri

Other tips on things to buy:
1) Dedicated bright tablet or bright smartphone
2) (As previously stated) right-angle USB cable
3) Doubi semi-ridgid case (sell off the fly-more case, it doesn’t really hold more than the drone and the remote, and the Doubi is cheap, protective, and has room for almost everything but the 12V charger)
https://www.ebay.com/p/DJI-Mavic-Pro-Drone-Carrying-Case-by-Doubi-Ideal-for-Travel-or-Home-Storage/782059685?iid=122828768710&chn=ps&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F711-117182-37290-0%2F2%3Fmpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252Fp%252FDJI-Mavic-Pro-Drone-Carrying-Case-by-Doubi-Ideal-for-Travel-or-Home-Storage%252F782059685%253Fiid%253D122828768710%2526chn%253Dps%26itemid%3D122828768710%26targetid%3D412640436669%26device%3Dt%26adtype%3Dpla%26googleloc%3D9016146%26poi%3D%26campaignid%3D1058344557%26adgroupid%3D55736585401%26rlsatarget%3Dpla-412640436669%26abcId%3D1133896%26merchantid%3D118986230%26gclid%3DCj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvWuLi596c16OKpkprj5w0tNgtxAuC6Me6EAsgLFME07AH215OyFLVgaAvb5EALw_wcB%26srcrot%3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1504933122591%26rvr_ts%3De0d548781620a8609e161ecffffa02c8

Don't go overboard with the accessories just get. You can get them in due time. Get used to flying the drone first. Fly more combo, a decent mobile device, open field, practice. Camera stuff can come later.

O.k whats an ND filter? I looked on amazon and see a wide range of prices and manufacturers.. How do they help produce smooth video? Im thinking they change the image quality, but how does it increase smoothness?
Check out these videos for more details on ND filters:

So the flymore combo seems like it has everything I need to get started.. multiple batteries, controller, etc.. would I need anything other than this combo to get going for now? (im looking at best buy)

The short answer for this is yes. You have asked many questions on this thread. First off I want to mention that my first good drone was a Yuneec Q500 4K. I chose this AC as it looked nice and noticeably different than a DJI Phantom. That was a mistake on my part. The tech advantages of the Phantom are far superior. Case in part is I loose video signal at 400 feet from the RC.
My second drone is a Mavic Pro and I love it. The picture qualities of the Yuneec may be better but not worth the lousy tech it has.
My grandson crashed the Yuneec up in the UP, your destination this fall.
The cost to repair it appeared to be more than what it was worth so I replaced it with an open box Phantom 3P for $459 and I do not regret that one bit!
The P3P is bulkier to transport than the Mavic. It is noisier than the Mavic but the camera is in my opinion better.
So my advice, buy the Mavic. If you could get it at Costco, that would be best as they have the best return policy. I don’t know why you would return it though!
The help you get from this forum is far better than what the local hobby shop can give you.
One more thing, be careful when you say “fellas” as there are many female types here too!

I live in Greensboro NC, I am looking at purchasing a Typhoon H pro, simply because it is available at a shop near me. After research I think the Mavic Pro is the way to go, BUT, being completely ignorant with Drone, I feel more comfy having the dealer support near me. I have researched various drones off and on for about 4 months and was pretty set on the Typhoon H, but Im looking at taking it with me on a flight to the UP in september and I feel the Mavic would be easier to get into carry on etc. Is there anyone near me, or a shop within 40 miles or so that I can utilize if purchase one? I know online support is helpful, Thanks!

Hi ronheater70. I had a typhoon H that I got from Costco. I returned it after a couple months because it was too big to easily take on airplane trips but it’s a nice drone. I ended up with a mavic and spark... one from dji and one from Best Buy although Costco has the mavic now. Costco’s return policy is very generous and they usually have a nice bundle deal. I also recommend holding off on too many accessories until you’ve flown a bit but a landing pad and legs are good for both. I love both my drones...very easy to fly and the app is great. Have fun!

Hi ronheater70. I liked that feature on the typhoon but it’s just as easy to rotate the dji drones.

I suppose the other issue is actually learning how to fly it, someone who knows what they are doing would be very beneficial!

I suppose I could look online, but really Im nervous about the learning curve! Thanks for the suggestions!
My first drone was not a DJI. My third flight tended with the drone flying off never to be seen again. Replaced it another similar drone but this time when I went flying I used a fishing reel with 100m builders chalk line on it and tied to the drone.. I knew at least it won't fly off into the sunset. When I gained a more flying skills removed the string.

I suppose the other issue is actually learning how to fly it, someone who knows what they are doing would be very beneficial!

I suppose I could look online, but really Im nervous about the learning curve! Thanks for the suggestions!
Watch a bunch of YouTube videos.. then practice in an open field with no one around. Go slow and gradually increase height and distance after learning how to maneuver at low height.
There are also flight simulators you can get for in home practice. No dealer will teach you how to fly. Besides the MP is very stable and much easier to fly than cheaper drones.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

The Best Buy near me charges a 15% restocking fee on drones if you change your mind after you bought it.

I think it's a Best Buy corporate policy to charge a restocking fee on items like drones. They need to protect themselves from
the occasional underqualified people who puchase a drone, crash it and then return it for their money back.

I recently returned a Mavic Pro to Best Buy because upon initial calibration the camera ended up pointing down and to the right instead of straight ahead.

Rob from Thunderdones was helping me online and after a few hours told me it had to go back.

I was expecting to have to fight for my 15% because when I purchased it they had me sign a paper saying I agree to the 15% fee if I returned it.

They were actually cordial and did not charge me the fee.
Maybe because I told them I spent a couple hours going back and forth online with a qualified drone technician who advised me it had to go back.

My point is if you have a good reason they can waive the fee.

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada