DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would love to get one of these

DDS

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Reactions: JTZ and BigAl07
Ok dumb me wonders just how far that beam goes if it messes.

I saw a video of a similar laser test on a Navy ship. Deadly accurate.

Ok dumb me wonders just how far that beam goes if it misses.
I would think they could set a focal point at the target so it would only be deadly within a few meters of that range. Similar to focusing the sun with a magnifying glass to burn wood. But then again I am no laser expert.

Reactions: dirkclod
Makes sense, just had a vision of it not stopping.?

I would think they could set a focal point at the target so it would only be deadly within a few meters of that range. Similar to focusing the sun with a magnifying glass to burn wood. But then again I am no laser expert.
I don’t think lasers work that way. I think it continues until the light scatters or gets absorbed by something.

Reactions: jagraphics
I don’t think lasers work that way. I think it continues until the light scatters or gets absorbed by something.

The laser does need to be focused to be effective. I don't know how a laser of that magnitude works but I can tell you 100% that even large power "commercial" lasers have to be focused to be effective. Now to our eyes and other "optical" devices they don't have to be focused to be dangerous but in order to be able to create the heat needed to do that kind of damage they will need to be focused to some degree.

Rest assured the beam of light will go until it's reflected or absorbed but how powerful it is depends on how far it travels.

We have a high power laser (Freaking Laser Beams lol) that is dangerous to human eyes at over 3 miles and visible over 8 miles. It orignally came with a "Warning" to not shine it at satellites and space craft....

• Haha
Reactions: Paulf10
I wish they'd actually done some reporting (I know, I know, it's the Post), but they just breathlessly repeat the military/government claims. How long does it take to lock on? If they really took down the three drones in "rapid succession" why did they have to edit the video of the time between the strikes? How would this do with something bigger (like a Reaper or a Predator, or even the military hand launched drones, like the Puma or the Raven)?

Still, even with the questions, it's way cool.

I have an engineer friend who designed a PC board that used in a drone killer gun. Basically a drone jammer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000