DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would someone please translate this NOTAM ?

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
EWN COASTAL CAROLINA REGIONAL
!EWN 06/019 EWN AIRSPACE UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 10NM RADIUS OF EWN150013.3 (NKT) SFC-2700FT EXC EWN CLASS D SFC AREA DLY 1100-0330 1906171100-1906220330

TIA!
* EWN150013.3 (NKT) is the part that's confusing me.

Last edited:
They did note this one cryptically. The way I read it is UAS operations will be conducted within a ten mile radius of the EWN VOR’s 150 degree radial at 13.3 miles. I have not looked at a chart, but I think the EWN VOR’s 150 degree radial at 13.3 miles is NKT airport.

Thank you.
That would explain why the 10 mile circle centers on NKT (Cherry Point MCAS). My initial reading of it was the 10nm radius goes around EWN airport (Coastal Carolina Regional).

I checked SkyVector just now and this is what it shows for the NOTAM:

I guess the Marines are doing some UAV training.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you.
That would explain why the 10 mile circle centers on NKT (Cherry Point MCAS). My initial reading of it was the 10nm radius goes around EWN airport (Coastal Carolina Regional).

I checked SkyVector just now and this is what it shows for the NOTAM:

View attachment 75966

I guess the Marines are doing some UAV training.

At times that area can get silly busy but man that's some awesome flying area down there. I've mostly flown down in Beaufort and MHC mostly then out off the coast with some fishing vessels.

Reactions: JAW and tleedom
At times that area can get silly busy but man that's some awesome flying area down there. I've mostly flown down in Beaufort and MHC mostly then out off the coast with some fishing vessels.
+100% Thumbswayup

Reactions: BigAl07
FYI - Marines fly a lot of smaller UASs (group 1s: Hand launched by Marines + Group 3s: catapult launched and arresting wire recovered) that absolutely operate 2700' and below. Sounds like they are doing some combined training around Cherry Point. Or else the jets are doing some low level work near the field and don't care for a mid-air encounter that is preventable. At least its not permanent.

Reactions: JAW
EWN COASTAL CAROLINA REGIONAL
!EWN 06/019 EWN AIRSPACE UAS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 10NM RADIUS OF EWN150013.3 (NKT) SFC-2700FT EXC EWN CLASS D SFC AREA DLY 1100-0330 1906171100-1906220330

TIA!
* EWN150013.3 (NKT) is the part that's confusing me.
150 degree radial from EWN at 13.3 NM (Nautical Miles). That point is the center of the 10 mile ring. The NKT is just the FAA identifying the Cherry Point air base where the operation is occurring.

Reactions: JAW
Reading this thread, I wonder if we wouldn't all benefit from a section/division of this greater forum dedicated to the inevitable understanding of Sectionals, NOTAMs, METARS, and TAFs

Just as we have sections/divisions for MP1, M2P, M2P zoom, Goggles, Classifieds, etc..

Would NOT want to call the sub forum Part 107 because that would discourage those not certified, when everyone may need to become familiar going forward, and the help/analysis of those more experienced would break the topic down into more understandable material

What do you think?

What do the administrators think?

Good idea...Bad idea?

FYI - Marines fly a lot of smaller UASs (group 1s: Hand launched by Marines + Group 3s: catapult launched and arresting wire recovered) that absolutely operate 2700' and below. Sounds like they are doing some combined training around Cherry Point. Or else the jets are doing some low level work near the field and don't care for a mid-air encounter that is preventable. At least its not permanent.

Easy there bud... I was just making an attempt at humor my friend. Thumbswayup

I'm well aware of the vast array of sUAS our military have at their disposal or at least aware of the ones not still hidden deep in the shadows. . . . :eek:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty