DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would you fly this route?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did. It is.

You described it as a schoolhouse which you then said was closed due to Covid. I made suggestions based on that. Obviously you are not looking for help, just either attention or a troll. It's a national park. You're not allowed to fly there. Period. There's your answer.
Why is anyone seriously giving this guy the time of day?? Too much time wasting on nothing.

View attachment 106124

I can't bring myself to do it
Assuming all applicable laws allow for it, I still wouldn't do it. Too much risk of losing the drone, if the drone goes down. I live near a similar geographical feature. Its only about 300 yards to cross (by the way of a bird flying) at one point but won't attempt it.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I have 20/20 vision, and can see my mavic at a max range of 1500 feet, I have younger students who can see it a as far as 1700. 2 miles? to actually see it, I call BS. Can you fly that distance with your drone sure, in an open area like that, the signal to the controller should be nice a strong. If for any reason, your drone goes down, good luck getting it back.

I have 20/20 vision, and can see my mavic at a max range of 1500 feet, I have younger students who can see it a as far as 1700. 2 miles? to actually see it, I call BS. Can you fly that distance with your drone sure, in an open area like that, the signal to the controller should be nice a strong. If for any reason, your drone goes down, good luck getting it back.
A logical response

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
To fly 11000 ft out and back on a good battery should not be a problem. I guess I would ask myself why I would want to take that ride at all. Is there something in particular you need a picture of, or is just to say "I did it". Personally, I would stay over terrain I can access by foot or vehicle, in case something goes wrong. Even with care/refresh you need to recover the body.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
To fly 11000 ft out and back on a good battery should not be a problem. I guess I would ask myself why I would want to take that ride at all. Is there something in particular you need a picture of, or is just to say "I did it". Personally, I would stay over terrain I can access by foot or vehicle, in case something goes wrong. Even with care/refresh you need to recover the body.
It's an old historical schoolhouse that is closed due to Covid. I haven't been there in about 20 years, and would love to get a nice orbit and be done.

I thought about that with care refresh, and it's such a varied terrain that the slightest breeze could blow it from being over land to being over water, if it was descending uncontrollably.

I'm not gonna risk it.

There’s now way you can fly VLOS at 2 miles in daylight strobe or no strobe.
just saying

...let alone at only 100’ AGL.

Why would the FAA rate strobes for 3 miles?

I don't know, I'm not claiming to see them at 3 miles, but if they say it's possible, then who's to say it's not.

Somebody came up with that number somewhere, somehow.

Orange Island just south of Daytona Fl.
Rent a boat and chase the drone....easy

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: TomSull
My strobe fixes this
That would also have been useful in the first post. The reason you’re receiving so many questions is that you were deliberately obtuse in you post. The inclusion of subsequent information on a piecemeal basis just adds to the suspicion others have about the reason for your question. It sounds to me that you know full well that this is not a sensible flight (VLOS being the first point, birds being the second) and are just looking for someone else to give you permission to fly what we’re all identifying as an inappropriate operation. I suspect you’re going to fly it no matter what anyone says - and do so against your own gut instinct. You’ll learn by your mistakes I hope.

Reactions: JoeBoy

I don't know, I'm not claiming to see them at 3 miles, but if they say it's possible, then who's to say it's not.

apparently the three statute miles requirement is for anti- collision lights fitted to a drone, and is a FAA regulation,if you believe what Lume Cube say in their advertising

Just because you might be able to see strobes at 3 miles at night doesn't mean you can see them at the same distance during daylight hours. If you lose sight of the strobes at 3000 feet, then anything beyond that is flying BVLOS. Same as fog or anything else that limits your visual sight. If you can't see your aircraft due to poor eye vision, just because you can see your screen doesn't mean you can fly beyond your personal vision.

I seriously can't believe this thread is still rolling and you haven't flown this yet. Who cares if the school is closed, who cares if it is over water, you are flying a pretty advanced craft that comes back to you in almost every situation. Launch that thing and try as long as there is no impact to other air craft in the area.

By the way you should probably include ALL information in the initial post that you know, not play this 20 questions type of game with people. It's just easier that way. Look forward to seeing your video when it's done.

To answer your original question I would have attempted the flight no questions asked by now with my AIR 1. Not going to make 10k but I would try. I would think with occusync you should have no issues.

I seriously can't believe this thread is still rolling and you haven't flown this yet. Who cares if the school is closed, who cares if it is over water, you are flying a pretty advanced craft that comes back to you in almost every situation. Launch that thing and try as long as there is no impact to other air craft in the area.

By the way you should probably include ALL information in the initial post that you know, not play this 20 questions type of game with people. It's just easier that way. Look forward to seeing your video when it's done.

To answer your original question I would have attempted the flight no questions asked by now with my AIR 1. Not going to make 10k but I would try. I would think with occusync you should have no issues.
Yeah, I realize now that my OP was not the most descriptive. That could have avoided a lot of back and forth.

I also don't understand how this thread has risen from the depths.

Wildly enough, I actually flew my MA1 to 10,068 feet about a year ago. About 5 miles north of this location.

...but, I lost my MA1 about 50 feet away from me (a different flight). Never to be retrieved again...

Reactions: 1bad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead