DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

WOW!! Drone “Warranty” that covers crashes during 1st year.

Yes I’d like to see what people flying Skydio2 for cinematic video are achieving.
I think it could be used for some great trad use as well as an adventure type tracking drone.
Will have to check out the skydio forum and YouTube.
At the moment Skydio2 holds more interest for me than the new DJI model.

Reactions: old man mavic
So what? He's just making a point Jack.... Come on now, lighten up pal!
Lighten up?
Post #3 was just pointing out that the OP was completely incorrect when he said:
Can’t say the name of the drone because the moderators of this site will shut down this thread because they want to protect DJI products.
It doesn't hurt to clear up big misunderstandings like that.

The idea that moderators here want to protect DJI products and would shut down threads to achieve that is very, very wrong.

Yep always open here.
Although comparisons are bearable, people should be saving Mavic Pilots for Mavic related stuff though.
The Skydio forum is down below along with all the other DJI drones, and competitors drones.

I find the good old Mavic Pilots hard enough to keep up with since the M1P and MPP were joined by the M2P, the M2Z, M2E, Air, and now Mini !!

The Skydio R1 was kind of a one trick pony, great at tracking and avoiding obstacles, but not so much as an aerial photography platform. The Skydio 2 is even better at tracking, following and avoiding obstacles but also appears to be a great AP platform. It even has 4K at 60 fps which none of the Mavics do. It has 13 stops of DR and the camera can look up 45 degrees with no props or prop shadows in view ever. Even if you never use the beacon to follow high speed sports, you can still fly it with the remote like any other drone with the added benefit of full time, 360 degree, bombproof obstacle avoidance.
Once these are in the hands of users we will certainly see lots of side by side comparisons with the Mavics. I expect the M2P to excel in low light, flight time and range. The Skydio 2 will perform better in tracking, following and OA. In other areas, I expect them to be very close.
Yes... anxious to see the comparisons!

Of note... my M2P has 4K video at any frame rate I select..... haven’t used them all, but many from 30fps to Much longer.

Note that Skydio only has 6 navigation cameras, and I think that includes downward cameras. M2 has 8. However Skydio has them strategically placed with computing power and software specifically for it.
Note that remote and beacon are an extra $150 each and uses enhanced Wi-Fi.

It's a different niche drone than what DJI focuses on so it may be a challenge to truly compare. We'll see when it's in everyone's hands.
Perhaps all that is going on here is the current version of NVIDIA computer vision in the Skydio is outclassing the Movidius in the DJI offerings. The competition will continue with each new generation. This is a good thing for all- obviously.

Yes... anxious to see the comparisons!

Of note... my M2P has 4K video at any frame rate I select..... haven’t used them all, but many from 30fps to Much longer.
M2P will only shoot 60fps at 2.7K or lower resolution. Granted, you can't select 4K 60fps, but your statement is a little misleading. ;) That M2P limitation leaves two options for those wanting buttery smooth footage while turning with the M2P. Record at 2.7K 60fps, or record at 4K 30fps in FOV, and really slow down your turns. I have chosen the latter, and find that works well, once you become adept at slowing your turns enough to avoid any jitter. Most professional cinematographers manage with only 24fps!

Last edited:
M2P will only shoot 60fps at 2.7K or lower resolution. Granted, you can't select 4K 60fps, but your statement is a little misleading. ;) That M2P limitation leaves two options for those wanting buttery smooth footage while turning with the M2P. Record at 2.7K 60fps, or record at 4K 30fps in FOV, and really slow down your turns. I have chosen the latter, and find that works well, once you become adept at slowing your turns enough to avoid any jitter. Most professional cinematographers manage with only 24fps!
Often the pro footage isn’t buttery smooth in the turns either. To me it looks a little off when it is.

Often the pro footage isn’t buttery smooth in the turns either. To me it looks a little off when it is.
I agree. After getting used to 30fps, I think the need for 60fps is overrated, unless slow motion is your end goal.

Reactions: PAW
The Skydio R1 was kind of a one trick pony, great at tracking and avoiding obstacles, but not so much as an aerial photography platform. The Skydio 2 is even better at tracking, following and avoiding obstacles but also appears to be a great AP platform. It even has 4K at 60 fps which none of the Mavics do. It has 13 stops of DR and the camera can look up 45 degrees with no props or prop shadows in view ever. Even if you never use the beacon to follow high speed sports, you can still fly it with the remote like any other drone with the added benefit of full time, 360 degree, bombproof obstacle avoidance.
Once these are in the hands of users we will certainly see lots of side by side comparisons with the Mavics. I expect the M2P to excel in low light, flight time and range. The Skydio 2 will perform better in tracking, following and OA. In other areas, I expect them to be very close.
i take on board your comments but apart from the more comprehensive OA ,how does it compare with say range, not just distance, but signal stability at distance i still think that it is more of a follow me type drone than a pure pilots one but anyway its not something i could purchase in the UK as it is not available here yet

Reactions: ssvdh66
how does it compare with say range, not just distance, but signal stability at distance

Some of the specs inc range.
4k60
3 axis gimbal
36mph
23' flight time
50% quieter (than the Skydio R1 I'd say)
3.5km range

I think the controller gives it a lot of potential to do some great cinematic video.
Not much out there yet, still not much market saturation of them, and most people that have them would be using Skydio 2 for tracking adventure filming, but found this easy enough . . .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i take on board your comments but apart from the more comprehensive OA ,how does it compare with say range, not just distance, but signal stability at distance i still think that it is more of a follow me type drone than a pure pilots one but anyway its not something i could purchase in the UK as it is not available here yet
With the Beacon it is supposed to have 1.5 Km range and with the controller 3.5 Km. It is using the same controller as the Parrot Anafi, so I would expect similar performance as far as signal stability.

This came up on my YouTube recommended tonight.
I really think this drone could be totally universal and be almost obstacle proof.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if you put the skydio in the air and wizz off on your chosen mode of transport ie skateboard, bike, etc are you really flying a drone in the pure sense of the term,whats flying the drone is the complex algorithms and clever sensors telling it where it is in a 3 dimensional virtual reality and there is nothing wrong with that concept if that is what you need your drone to do

Note that Skydio only has 6 navigation cameras, and I think that includes downward cameras. M2 has 8. However Skydio has them strategically placed with computing power and software specifically for it.
I think the Skydio camera are 360 cameras. This would give a much wider coverage area around the drone.

Note that remote and beacon are an extra $150 each and uses enhanced Wi-Fi.

It's a different niche drone than what DJI focuses on so it may be a challenge to truly compare. We'll see when it's in everyone's hands.
The Skydio 2's cameras purportedly collect over 40 MB of environmental information, while DJI's OA only collects 4 MB, so, with 10x more data, they can detect more granular details to avoid finer obstacles. However, the devil is in the details. Skydio 2's warranty against crashing is very restricted when you read the fine print. You have to fly within their still unpublished Flight Guidelines, and you are completely unable to fly when light levels are too low for OA to work, as you cannot turn OA off!

Found that there is a relatively new drone that flies autonomously and when flown according to specific manufacturer requirements the drone is supposed to be virtually impossible to crash.

This may help many of us who have crashed our drones and are looking for a drone that is more robust.

Can’t say the name of the drone because the moderators of this site will shut down this thread because they want to protect DJI products.

So to find out do a google search for “autonomous drone with crash proof warranty”

Maybe DJI will see this type of technology at less than $1k and make some changes to the Mavic Pro 3

I have had my Mavic Pro Plat… snapped its arm during minor crash. Up until now DJI has had a good product. But as the leader in the industry they have forced us all into higher product prices much greater profit margins for DJI without giving us major product enhancements.

I wish I had done a web search for drone crashes to learn how fragile the MAVIC folding arms are. It is nice to have a drone that folds up but the tradeoff was much greater fragility as many of us have learned.

Good to see the industry is offering us new cost effective products.
Note that I have one of these on order. They recommend that it NOT be flown INDOORS except for large structure like warehouses. It has 6 fish-eye obstacle avoidance lenses and active tracking with full obstance avoidance. They guarantee that they will repair or replace it if it crashes and you are following all of their recommendations. They say that it will not perform well with obstacle avoidance in dim lighting. Cost is $1,000 with 1 battery and IS MADE IN THE USA !!! In all other aspects, aside from obstacle avoidance, it is not superior to Mavic 2 Series (IMHO)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rapidppoint