DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

xbox One controller with DJI simulator

Grazuncle

Reactions
Hi all

Slightly OT (except for the lack of Mini 2 controller support)

I'm reading up on the DJI simulator and realise that my Mini 2 controller will not work with it.. However there are YT videos showing the Simulator working with an Xbox One controller...

The YT videos i have seen do not show how you select it, or if it is the wired version etc.. (I don't have bluetooth in my PC)

Anyone here know which hardware can be used successfully? ps.. there are a lot more 'clones' of this controller out there.. are these compatible too?

Thanks

Reactions: eaglewings
The wireless 360 controller "works" provided you have the dongle to connect it to your PC. I imagine it'll be the same with the Xbox One controller. Just be aware there is no diagram telling you what buttons do what, so there'll be a fair bit of trial and error.

As for the clones, I've only had bad luck with the knockoffs. They either don't work at all or have faulty buttons. Heck, I even had one where the Y and A buttons were wired backwards.

Reactions: Grazuncle
thanks for that...

I see quite a few demoed on YT but not how to select the, or any, controller...perhaps it detects one suitable (not Mini 2 LOL) on start up.

I ordered an Xbox One USB wired.

thanks for that...

I see quite a few demoed on YT but not how to select the, or any, controller...perhaps it detects one suitable (not Mini 2 LOL) on start up.

I ordered an Xbox One USB wired.
For me I just powered up the 360 controller and it was immidiatly able to control the simulator. Mine is always connected to my PC, so it was just a matter of turning it on.

I don't know what you had to pay for that controller... but another option would be to get a Literadio SE 2 controller. It's $40 and works great as a simulator controller. It has the feel of a "real" controller (because it is one) so it will train muscle memory better than the xbox controller. Besides. You might want to use it with a tiny whoop or something (which you can't do with your xbox controller).

I should add a caveat. I've never used the DJI Simulator so I don't know if it works with it. Works on DRL, Liftoff, Velocidrone and I've heard Freerider.

I don't know what you had to pay for that controller... but another option would be to get a Literadio SE 2 controller. It's $40 and works great as a simulator controller. It has the feel of a "real" controller (because it is one) so it will train muscle memory better than the xbox controller. Besides. You might want to use it with a tiny whoop or something (which you can't do with your xbox controller).
Thanks TomK

It's always nice to know of options ?

I paid £24 inc delivery.. it is returnable 'if' it doesn't work... I only went for that because many said that one would work..... I'm not expecting exactly the same things.. just get my head around directions and effect on the drone for certain actions or combination of stick movements...

I still haven't flown in a circle yet.. everything is left or right, forward or back.. up or down...yaw left or right And I'm still enjoying the experience from a purely photographic angle; it gets me there at least.

Forward and up 'at the same time' is for another day.. LOL

update: connected the Xbox controller but I can't get past the opening screen of the simulator... ?

locks up pc and lose mouse control too.. although can hear background music.. not sure if my PC graphics is up to the task and if that is the problem..

PS Task manager reports the DJI app as 32 bit? I'm sure the program required 64 bit OS.. strange.

any other simulators out there perhaps?

Just installed it today and was about to use my Xbox controller. But was not able find a way to change some options such a fly mode or use RTH or camera modes. Would be nice if the free version offered the skills training.

Other thing, there is no Mini 2 in the list of drones to fly :(

Just installed it today and was about to use my Xbox controller. But was not able find a way to change some options such a fly mode or use RTH or camera modes. Would be nice if the free version offered the skills training.

Glad you got it working.
In the meantime I got the DroneSim Pro offer, normally about £25, for £7.49 and it works. Better than nothing presently.. And.. No risk to my Mini 2. ???

What a prize P***t..

following the failure of getting the DJI simulator to work and subsequently being able to use the DroneSim Pro successfully i determined to 'have another go' with DJI simulator.

Sure enough I frozen screen.... Then bright idea .. I have three screens on my system.. I wonder if, although the splash screen IS on my nominated 'main screen' (middle) the actual flying screen/display is on one of the other screens, that are usually off.

And there it was.. on the cheapest TV/HDMI input screen ready to select a drone....????

It is woefully slow BUT it is fully working... a Graphics card upgrade then...

Feel stupid now...

another update over previous post. I tried the lowering of FPS, lower resolution and in a window etc but was still very laggy..

Then just tried the hangar scene and it was quite usable. So pleased to discover the need to test non-destructively. Found I can't do subtle movements - yet; but it is nice to be able to test what combinations you need to do other things like - turning. LOL

update.. again

well a few things... Whilst you can run the simulator with an Xbox One (similar) controller and lowering the resolution to low, low FPS and in a window. the results were a little confusing. I thought the lack of response or rather 'coarse' response to the controller was the fault of the actual controller.. i.e. not being subtle enough to give a smooth flight.. it was 'almost' fast or faster.. very disconcerting for a newbie!

However, having had no experience of Xbox stuff how would I know? .I just got an older graphics card (Palit GTX 760) and installed it with the basic Win 10 driver. Put the resolution back to 1080, 60fps and full screen and a transformation. The controls are much more sensitive of the controller than before. Hence my conclusion is it works ok IF you have a half decent graphics card. The Xbox controller is good enough for me to experiment with .

I didn't have a drone about two months ago let alone a Mini 2, didn't expect to have to buy another phone (just for the Mini 2 controller display) and then another Graphics card!

Wow.. what a journey.. might help someone else here.

I have an Air 2S... new. I used to fly RC helicopters 15 years ago so I do have some control stick memory... and at the time most of used Phoenix Simulator (now out of production).
Have a simulator, imo, is very important to learning.
While it can't completely replace real flying time, it certainly helps.

It doesn't seem to be much out there... my comments using the Xbox One.

DJI Simulator. (UPDATED note:) Yes it works, There is delay in stick response, no smooth transition when controlling the drone.
First screen before pressing start:
select Options top right of screen -> select Settings.
select Resolution 720p and then Display mode Window
(you can change to full screen later).
Click Start to start and select drone and Free Flight try the "Field" first.
after the flying "Field" loads and drone is sitting on the ground.
Hit button "B" on the Xbox controller, you will see a menu scroll down to bottom:
Settings: click that.. next menu scroll down to Remote Controller and Keyboard click that.
next menu: scroll down to Keyboard click that.
Now you have a menu of keyboard shortcuts to change numerous function.
Flight Mode; v this theoretically would change Cine Normal or Sport mode.
doesn't seem to work in the view as you would in real life.
Switch Views: c first person view, regular, etc....
In FPV and "phone" view... you can now use the above shortcut "v" and you now
can now slow down the flight (take it out of Sport mode)
and control the drone better.
RTH: o return to home.

There are other keyboard shortcuts you can play around with but that should get you going for a better experience with the Xbox controller so you can practice moving around objects etc.
It is a shame that the Air 2S is also not compatible with our stock controllers.

The Simulator in our (your drone ) DJI Assistant. A lot better with stock controller. But limited with the fact that you have to connect your drone to the computer, use the phone and controller. In my opinion kind of a hassle.

Zephyr Simulator by Little Arms Free version. Xbox controller. Graphics are decent. Numerous drones to choose from, a few flying scenarios to choose. Good stick response (ie: not much lag). But flying in what seems faster than Sport mode. So beginner training can be frustrating.

Dronesim Pro . No free version but still only $10. Best training I have found for our drones and Xbox One compatible. Only two flying fields and one drone available (Phantom). But these limitations give way to the far superior ability to fly as close to the drones in Cime and Normal mode that most beginners would fly.

Do NOTE: I am unfamiliar with the front led lights, and led status lights on the mini drone or other drones. On the Air 2S rear led's (ie led status lights) flash green and red. Front led's are green. Non DJI simulators the led lights for orientation are the opposite. Using the simulator don't brain implant the lights colors for orientation.

I bought an Xbox One at Walmart for $26... just for drone simulation. What I did... (do this with caution you could wreck you xbox controller) I drilled small holes in the buttons and put in small screws to act like "the control sticks". I think it greatly improved the "feel" of using the buttons as "sticks". Be careful not to drill too deep. Don't let any crud, or plastic particles fall down into the controller.

edit added this: it just occurred to me that it might be possible to use golf tees. Cut them down to size, upside down, and glue or maybe use a heavy duty double sided tape to secure them. You might also try putting a piece of painters tape on top of the button... before the heavy duty double sided tape, thus you could remove the golf tee gimbals if you didn't like the setup.

Cheers.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986