DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's raining... time to test out another drone simulator

slup

Reactions
Yeah, I know... this is mostly biased towards FPV quads, but maybe you've got an Avata & thinking about dropping the crutches and test manual mode without height & GPS hold... or you have an old RC radio laying around & want to test out & learn some cinematic long range flying with a quad. This simulator will give you a stunning & huge landscape to fly in & none of the crashes will cost you anything besides a dent in your ego :)

(The RC radio must show up as a HID USB device when connected to the PC, if it does it should work. The DJI FPV controller 2 is stated to work, if you have the older black DJI FPV controller 1 you need this Xbox 360 emulator to get it to work, this as it's a serial USB device (Xbox 360 Controller Emulator).

It's base is the famous PC game Grand Theft Auto V with it's huge open map, covering most landscape types & weather conditions you can think of... & on top of that a free mod called Quadcopter Redux. The simulator mod have a lot of settings to get the quad physics correct & possibility to dial in your own stick rates for a good "real life" similar feel.

I would say that the PC Game GTA V is worth to buy solely for the purpose to be able to use it as a simulator (but I think it's rather fun to play also).

All this will demand a lot from your computer setup for a smooth picture, my guess is that you at least need a gaming grade computer that is like 1-2 years old. My laptop is a Lenovo Legion 7i with a Intel Core i9-12900HX with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti 16GB graphics card and 32GB DDR5-4800 RAM memory... & it's a buttery smooth game play on max graphic settings with no stutters at all. The only thing that could be improved is the quad prop sound... it's pretty lame & weak, not conveying how I command the motors at all.

Here's a YT clip showing where to get the mod files & how to install it -->

And below 3 screen recordings from me flying in different environments (clips show a slight stutter, but that's only on the screen recording not on my PC when flying).

Reactions: Bramavic2
I'm guessing this only works on a PC? not Apple. I googled it and don't see the platform mentioned.

I'm guessing this only works on a PC? not Apple. I googled it and don't see the platform mentioned.
GTA V isn't available for MAC but it can be played there anyway either by a game streaming service or a Windows install on the MAC machine.

Here some various methods --> How to Download and Play GTA 5 on Mac (M1 and Intel)

But recon you need to be able to reach the GTA V install folder & there add in the mod files... so best bet is a Windows installation on your MAC.

But can't say if it will work to get the mod working though...

Will I be able to do this without a flying bike, a flying car with missiles or some big submarine on the other side of the map blowing my drone out of the sky?

Will I be able to do this without a flying bike, a flying car with missiles or some big submarine on the other side of the map blowing my drone out of the sky?
I'm not sure what you mean here... but the mod itself will give you the possibility to act "invisible" for the GTA V game itself & decide if cops should "forget you" when you activate the simulator mod... this is because you can "break out" of the GTA V gaming whenever you want to fly, & when you do that you might have tons of cops pursuing you.

If flying isn't enough for you, the mod have a choice to arm your quad so you can cause some serious havoc, blowing up people cars helicopters & airplanes.

I'm not sure what you mean here... but the mod itself will give you the possibility to act "invisible" for the GTA V game itself & decide if cops should "forget you" when you activate the simulator mod... this is because you can "break out" of the GTA V gaming whenever you want to fly, & when you do that you might have tons of cops pursuing you.

If flying isn't enough for you, the mod have a choice to arm your quad so you can cause some serious havoc, blowing up people cars helicopters & airplanes.
Context: In GTA 5 or atleast online, there are other players who own all kinds of weapons, vehicles mostly weaponized, and ridiculous tools of mass destruction looking to get a kick out of trolling other players who are just trying to play the game.

Context: In GTA 5 or atleast online...
Online gaming with this mod installed is not recommended... you will get banned on the spot, think that the mod itself actually prevent you from going over to GTA V Online. So... when using this mod you only have the NPC's no one else.

GTA V isn't available for MAC but it can be played there anyway either by a game streaming service or a Windows install on the MAC machine.

Here some various methods --> How to Download and Play GTA 5 on Mac (M1 and Intel)

But recon you need to be able to reach the GTA V install folder & there add in the mod files... so best bet is a Windows installation on your MAC.

But can't say if it will work to get the mod working though...
Tks Slup but I’ll pass on this, I had lots of headaches with Parallels & finally deleted it. Thanks again

Tks a lot for the tip. I got the game free some time ago but only played it once. Will definitely check this mod.

Reactions: slup